PDA

View Full Version : Car lift recommendations?

ALBERTA_IS
02-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Hey guys, what lifts would you recommend that are not too expensive but do a good job? I am looking for a lift to put into a garage with 10 foot ceilings and alternate vehicles from a 2008 SC430 and 2011 E550. Any experiences with local guys and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Pics if yours would be great too. I am looking for a 4 post lift. Thanks guys.

Alex

Rat Fink
02-06-2012, 08:06 AM

94boosted
02-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Does the concrete garage floor need to be strengthened to put in a lift? I've seen some shitty garage pads and the thought of putting 3000 + pounds on that concrete scares me.

ALBERTA_IS
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Does the concrete garage floor need to be strengthened to put in a lift? I've seen some shitty garage pads and the thought of putting 3000 + pounds on that concrete scares me.

I am hoping it does not need any reinforcing! Do the guys that install it check the concrete in any way first?

J@Tuner
02-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes they should do a sample drill and check thickness before anything gets installed.

Lift King is very popular local installer for home hoists, they have a showroom in Balzac mall depending on where in the city you are.

97luder
02-06-2012, 05:35 PM
+1 for lift king, girlfriends dad bought 1 like 2 summers ago but we installed it pretty easy tho and works great he does the same with it as well to switch from summer to winter car

i think he sold his winter car ill check if he did he might get rid of the lift as well

AndyL
02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't think they usually do any test cores unless there's a reason... 4posters - the same weight and point loads as your car... 2 post for a car - wouldn't think twice... 2 post for a dodge ram 3500 cummins dually - I think there'd be some extra calculating / thought involved :)

J@Tuner
02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
I don't think they usually do any test cores unless there's a reason... 4posters - the same weight and point loads as your car... 2 post for a car - wouldn't think twice... 2 post for a dodge ram 3500 cummins dually - I think there'd be some extra calculating / thought involved :)

Very true for a 4 post, I have also seen free standing 4 posts that don't need to be drilled, not sure if I trust those myself. 2 post will require sample drill, if they want to put a 2 post in without drilling, go elsewhere before you loose a car, house or person.

AndyL
02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Drilling to anchor is one thing - but test cores to check thickness/strength/compaction is another... I've seen them done (I know one company that'll xray every floor they install on to verify - but they aren't cheap).

94boosted
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Your right on the 4 post distributing the loads safer than a two post but I still would rather not have the concrete under one or more of the posts fail with a car on the hoist lol.

.norco.
02-06-2012, 11:39 PM
we just got our lift king, pretty badass and does the job

AndyL
02-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Your right on the 4 post distributing the loads safer than a two post but I still would rather not have the concrete under one or more of the posts fail with a car on the hoist lol.

No I wouldn't either - but reality has to strike to... your base plates for a lift - have more surface area than your tires contact patch... in practical terms - point loads are lower on the lift - and farther apart...yes your adding 1200+lbs, but its more spread out... your floor could be 3" and crap concrete and still be within a 2x safety margin...

msommers
02-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Curious why you guys choose 4 post vs 2 post. Is the 4 post more for storage than working on the vehicle?

TomcoPDR
02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by J@Tuner

Very true for a 4 post, I have also seen free standing 4 posts that don't need to be drilled, not sure if I trust those myself. 2 post will require sample drill, if they want to put a 2 post in without drilling, go elsewhere before you loose a car, house or person.

For 2 post, I think it was 6" min thickness... and "grade" or density of the concrete is a factor. (got something to do with psi if I recall)

It's not bad cutting out 2 squares and re-pouring to thickness just for where the 2 posts would go though.

Maxt
02-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Bendpak with pneumatic locks...The rod and lever system is frail and cheesey.. If you don't have a compressor I could see a reason, but the air release makes life so much easier.

ALBERTA_IS
02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 97luder
+1 for lift king, girlfriends dad bought 1 like 2 summers ago but we installed it pretty easy tho and works great he does the same with it as well to switch from summer to winter car

i think he sold his winter car ill check if he did he might get rid of the lift as well

Let me know if he is getting rid of his lift. Thanks

ALBERTA_IS
02-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by .norco.
we just got our lift king, pretty badass and does the job

What did it cost you installed if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

.norco.
02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ALBERTA_IS

What did it cost you installed if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

they had a deal during boxing week, i think around 3000$ installed? if you want to know the exact price let me know thru pm

71/454
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I got mine from Auto-Quip, which I think is liftpro.ca and carlift.ca. Jordan had a garage build thread and has the same one, I actually used the same guy he did for my garage door high lift kit too.
I would reccomend this one over the liftking one because it has the ALI certification and not just CSA. If a cable breaks on mine when it's going up, the lock engages right away stopping it from falling. I paid 2800 after tax, assembled myself in 4 hours.

Edit: It's directlift.ca not carlift.ca

Cody D
02-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Curious why you guys choose 4 post vs 2 post. Is the 4 post more for storage than working on the vehicle?

I bought my 4 post for storage and working on the cars, I then have a center rolling section that goes between the runners that can lift the wheels off of the lift so I can do wheels and suspension work.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2969/img1162g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img1162g.jpg/)

DEATH2000
02-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Cody D

I bought my 4 post for storage and working on the cars, I then have a center rolling section that goes between the runners that can lift the wheels off of the lift so I can do wheels and suspension work.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2969/img1162g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img1162g.jpg/)
I like that. Thats the type of lift i would want if i ever got one. Great for storage and working on the car.

JordanLotoski
02-11-2012, 12:31 AM
I've got a liftpro in my garage....they didnt drill concrete prior to install. Mines been rock solid for over a year now.

Www.liftpro.ca

Maxt
02-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't work for or sell Bendpak, so don't think because I am re suggesting it I have some sales motive, I don't. Also every hoist is better than no hoist so I understand why people are happy with their lifts in general regardless of brand.
I helped Soloracer put together his 4 post lift, its the generic 4 post lift that's sold by many different places, and I put together the bendpak I have. He can post the brand.
Soloracers 4 post has the linkage and rod system, that not only broke mysteriously one day, but suffered from rod stretch to the point I had to cut and weld the rods to take up the slack so all four corners would release. One corner would always hang up, and not always the same corner.
Also keeping arm power/release pressure on the lever is a PITA, because it moves with the hoist ramp section. Not a big deal for a storage hoist, but if you are doing repeating test work underneath and over, or changing the car on the hoist, it gets old pretty fast.
Here is a good read, you can start at the top here:
http://www.astudyinliftdesign.com/
or just jump to here for the comparisons:
http://www.astudyinliftdesign.com/direct-lift-vs-bendpak.html
A few other things from Soloracers lift to mine:
- On his, I stalled out the motor drive pack and tripped the breaker a few times, even though its on the rated breaker/circuit with an RX7 on the hoist. This could be a real problem if lifting heavy vehicles.
- We assembled his easily by hand, this could be a plus for some people. Mine is a larger hoist to be fair, but I had to use a BOBCAT to move the Bendpak Runways, the construction of the ramps is that heavy.
-The Bendpak Pneumatic release button is stationary so you don't have to move your arm with the load when lowering, and its push button.
-The Bendpak I have is taller but lifts about twice as fast.
- The Bendpak is greaseable, and runs buttery smooth up and down even with a 10,000 lb truck on it. Its a much more industrial looking piece, with an actual recognizable brand name on the hydraulic pack.
- The Bendpak was longer and wider than the others as on option.
The price point between the hoists was minimal when I priced all the different brands. The only thing about the Bendpak, is it is truck shipped and to be delivered to your door you need a method of offloading it. The truck company will not put up with you trying to hand unload it in pieces.
Bendpaks shipping weights are out to lunch though, mine was suppose to weigh 2100 lbs, so the power lift gate on the truck and my Bobcat should have been able to lift the crate. The Bobcat wouldn't even budge the crated lift. I had to follow the delivery truck back to their dock with my own trailer to have it transferred. When they tried to unload it, they ended up having to use 2 forklifts to lift it, and the shipper said there is now way it is 2100 lbs if their toyota fork lift refused to lift it, a pain the butt, but the trade off for more quality.

JordanLotoski
02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
quote:
I've got a liftpro in my garage....they didnt drill concrete prior to install. Mines been rock solid for over a year now.

Www.liftpro.ca

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/260083_165995486798826_138190292912679_459396_4174203_n.jpg

ALBERTA_IS
02-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski
quote:

Www.liftpro.ca

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/260083_165995486798826_138190292912679_459396_4174203_n.jpg

Looks great. I am just missing the Lambo! Thanks for all the responses guys. I will let you know what gets installed at my buddies and at my own garage.

Alex

RickDaTuner
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I guess the only thing to note with hoists is 4 posts are more for storage, and minor mechanical work, as there is just to much in the way.

2 posts are very versatile, as there is nothing under the car to hinder your work, although they require proper concrete foundations to install, and also a keener sense of where to lift your car.

Personally for the type of work I encounter day in day out, I would definitely go for the two post lifts.

One option to consider is a half height lift such as the model they sell at princess auto, but again its a matter of what you need it for.

P/A Lifts (http://www.princessauto.com/pal/search/categoryFacetResults.jsp?_DARGS=/pal/include/sideBar.jsp_AF&_dynSessConf=-6266624162109891328&trail=5006%3A1000.00-5000.00%7CLAST&qfh_fsr=true&_D%3Aqfh_ft=+&_D%3Aqfh_fsr=+&qfh_rct=0021401283&_D%3Aqfh_rct=+&/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.searchRequest.startCategory=/Meta/ancestorCategories.catalogSpecificId/1000-330-000-000-000_masterCatalog&_D%3A/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.search=+&_D%3Afh_sr=+&/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.search=submit&/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.searchRequest.question=&_D%3A/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.searchRequest.startCategory=+&fh_sr=true&qfh_ft=5006%3A1000.00-5000.00%7CLAST&_D%3A/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.searchRequest.saveRequest=+&_D%3A/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.searchRequest.question=+&/atg/commerce/search/catalog/QueryFormHandler.searchRequest.saveRequest=true)

soloracer
02-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Max is correct, the Bendpak is the "Lambo" of lifts - much higher quality than the overseas models. The one downside is it has to be bolted to the floor and with infloor heat I needed something that was freestanding. They may have a mobile version today however.

Euro838
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Will the installers also retract the garage door? or does that have to be done prior to lift installation?

So I didn't get a clear answer from this thread, but will a typical poured concrete garage be able to support a lift and vehicle? From what I saw at Cross Iron Mills, they said the posts do not need to be drilled into the concrete. Suggestions?

With a 12 ft garage ceiling, is it possible to fit a mini-van and a car on a lift?

ALBERTA_IS
03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted to update you guys. My buddy went with lift pro. Looks like the same one as Jordan's. It turned out great and I may post pics later. Thanks again for all your help!

Alex