PDA

View Full Version : Wresting Singlet - Where to buy

BokCh0y
02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
My son is in Wresting at the UofC, part of the UofC jr. dinos wresting club.

I guess there is a ringworm out break o_o and he needs to pick up a wrestling singlet.

Does anyone know where to buy tis from along with the head bra thing for the ears to prevent cauliflowered ears?

I checked out Sportchek etc, they don't know either.

Thanks.

BokCh0y
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Anything?

J-hop
02-07-2012, 09:54 PM
try calling Dragon's Den martial arts supply, I believe they do wrestling as well.

BokCh0y
02-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Awesome, thanks!!

speedog
02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Currently have two kids in the Junior Dinos program - Kicks Sports (link (http://www.kickssports.ca/)) may have some (got our daughters there) or Final Goal in the NE (may be iffy there). Wrestling boots can be had at both places. There is also a contact on the non-profit organization (HEAT Society) associated to the Junior Dinos who brings stuff in from the USA and sells it for what they buy it for - have gotten stuff form her as well, PM me for the name and number.

speedog
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Head gear - Kicks is a good place for that as well.

Have been involved in the amateur wrestling scene in Calgary for 8 seasons now, oldest is wrestling with UofC and now ref's jnr/snr high meets as well as coaching the Dinomites wrestling kids on Saturday mornings before Junior Dinos practices, another son in grade 12 and daughter in grade 8 (at Alberta Winter Games this weekend wrestling).

Sometimes vintage gear (singlets) can be had at Value Village - quite a different look on the mat.

Best thing to help your kid avoid the bad skin stuff is to shower right after practice at the UofC - this time of year is tough though with all the senior high school meets, the tournaments as well as kids in extra practices for thew Alberta Winter Games. Check their skin closely and get to a walk-in as soon as you spot something unusual so as to stay on top of things - early detection can usually mean only several days of missed time on the mat.

See you at the practices, but not this weekend as I'll be up in Spruce Grove cheering on my daughter at the Winter Games and the other one (grade 12) will be wrestling at the Churchill tournament - no practice for us on Saturday.

sexualbanana
02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm always the one that suggests Team Skyline by Chinook Centre

BokCh0y
02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the info Speedog.

I'll check out Kicks this weekend and pick up the head gear and singlet for the boy, much appreciated.

Ringworm outbreak the past couple weeks. Boy showers ASAP when he gets home, is that ok or should he just do it at the U?

He loves the wrestling, great thing for him to be in as well.

And thanks to you too Sexbanana, i'll check out that place this Saturday also.

Great info, much appreciated all.

speedog
03-16-2012, 09:01 AM
All the kids should shower at the UofC right after practice - the coaches really suggest this and it just really keeps things at bay. We've got three kids in wrestling, one 2nd year UofC team and two on the junior Dinos (grades 12 & 8) and we've only had one instance of the funk so far this season - other kids have battled it all year.

BTW, is your kid going up to the Alberta Open this weekend - this is the season ending meet for most kids (other than those going to Nationals) and it's usually the biggest meet of the year with many teams coming from out of province. Always great action at this tournament.

BigShow
03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by speedog

BTW, is your kid going up to the Alberta Open this weekend - this is the season ending meet for most kids (other than those going to Nationals) and it's usually the biggest meet of the year with many teams coming from out of province. Always great action at this tournament.

Where is this event being held? does it start tomorrow? thanks

wardpr68
03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Tell them to properly disinfect their freaking mat.... that's where the shit spreads. Almost all wrestling organizations (olympic and professional) don't clean the mat properly. It's disgusting.

speedog
03-16-2012, 09:29 AM
The Alberta Open is being held in Ponoka tomorrow starting at 9:00AM - details can be had at this link (http://albertaamateurwrestling.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=159&Itemid=59) which is being hosted on the Alberta Amateur Wrestling Association's web site (http://albertaamateurwrestling.ca/).

speedog
03-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68
Tell them to properly disinfect their freaking mat.... that's where the shit spreads. Almost all wrestling organizations (olympic and professional) don't clean the mat properly. It's disgusting. More often then not - the problem is wrestlers (newbies mostly) not knowing they've got the funk and just getting in the room and making physical contact with other kids while practicing. All of this funk is highly transferable via skin to skin contact and there's lots of that in wrestling - I know that at the UofC, the stuff they put into the cleaning bucket is used for disinfecting hospitals and farms and is capable of killing the HIV1 virus and actually, I am amazed that the jug doesn't come with some kind of hazardous materials sticker. Mats are cleaned there (UofC) before every wrestling practice - problem is that the non-wrestling groups aren't doing the same, but I suppose that only puts them at more risk.

J-hop
03-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Semi related question but when you get to higher levels of sports like wrestling, boxing, kick boxing, MMA etc do they screen people regularly for stuff like HIV and other blood born diseases that can easily be transferred if you get an infected person's blood on an open wound or thin mucus membrane???

I've always wondered this as a lot of the local fight nights I've attended have gotten pretty bloody at times.

speedog
03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Not in wrestling - only thing is that university athletes are subject to is random drug testing and that is a moving target because what's on the banned list varies from year to year.

BokCh0y
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
My son isn't going to the Alberta open this weekend, he's not confident enough.

He was at the Cochrane Open a couple weeks ago, placed 4th YAY, but his weight class is pretty tough - 51kg. His teacher from school who is also one of the coaches - Brandy even said so. So yeah, i've been bugging him to go, but he said he would get killed by the kids there haha.

I'd like it if he went though.....great experience and great practice. Better than him practising his moves on my old ass body.