PDA

View Full Version : Furnace motor

ramminghard
01-30-2004, 12:13 PM
The motor in my furnace is spinning the wrong way right now. i need to reverse the operation of it so that my house will startto get some heat. which wires should i switch to make it sping the other way.

Thanks

ramminghard
01-30-2004, 12:15 PM
another. any help would be appreciated. i am freezing right now.

sputnik
01-30-2004, 12:18 PM
call a professional and save yourself the potential of a bigger repair bill from getting the wrong advice here

ramminghard
01-30-2004, 12:24 PM
the only thing that can go wrong is the motor. and it allready is wrong so i have nothing to lose.

sputnik
01-30-2004, 12:26 PM
what made it start turning in reverse?

do you have electrician gnomes in your house?

ramminghard
01-30-2004, 12:29 PM
no its always spun the wrong way. no one noticed it untill the real cold hit.

SinisterProbeGt
01-30-2004, 12:52 PM
hey My brother is an eletricial engineer he says if it can be reversed it has to be a 3 phase motor or say on the motor that it can run in reverse and if it can.
Switch the blue and yellow around and wollah you done.
hope you stay warm...

ramminghard
01-30-2004, 12:59 PM
sweet thanks a lot man. i will try it now.

ramminghard
01-30-2004, 01:03 PM
it says PH 1. i don't know if thats the phase or not. can it even be done on this motor if its a PH 1? what will happen if i try?

-250-
01-30-2004, 01:03 PM
well clearly it has to be wired by 3 other wires into your house, not just on the motor.

Dont switch the wires on the motor, cause if you mess up ground, then you could have a masive electrical fire on your hands= bad fire, and it would not be covered by insurance, cause you cracked the bad boy open.

The wires where you plug it into the source of electricity IE from the box, reverse the positive, and the negative, it wount matter what type of motor it is, all motors work on the same principle by reversing the polarity, it will just spin the other way.

sputnik
01-30-2004, 01:31 PM
most likely not motor problem... probably a problem between the electrical panel and the furnace.

i still say call a professional.

the last thing you want is for your last words to be on beyond and say something like...

"be right back... i think i figured it out"

angierideswitme
01-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by -250-
well clearly it has to be wired by 3 other wires into your house, not just on the motor.

Dont switch the wires on the motor, cause if you mess up ground, then you could have a masive electrical fire on your hands= bad fire, and it would not be covered by insurance, cause you cracked the bad boy open.

The wires where you plug it into the source of electricity IE from the box, reverse the positive, and the negative, it wount matter what type of motor it is, all motors work on the same principle by reversing the polarity, it will just spin the other way.

This is not true, If you reverse the polarity on a AC motor, it will spin the the same direction, this is different for a DC motor,

SinisterProbeGt
01-30-2004, 03:27 PM
It should be fine try to reverse it you will know right away if it is going to work. THe motor wont spin at all if it is not phase 3. As far as I was told switch the blue and yellow will change the poll of the current and reverse the motor...

sputnik
01-30-2004, 03:31 PM
why would the furnace motor be spinning backwards? how old is the furnace? no one noticed it until now?

seems very strange

Red89GT
01-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
why would the furnace motor be spinning backwards? how old is the furnace? no one noticed it until now?

seems very strange

I was wondering the same thing. maybe the motor was installed backwards or somthing?

ramminghard
01-30-2004, 05:30 PM
got it sorted out now. thanks for the help everyone.

sputnik
01-30-2004, 07:00 PM
what was it?

Maxt
01-30-2004, 08:28 PM
For future reference you interchang the black and the red wires, or on most ge/emerson windings, the 5 and the 8 terminal, it just changes which way the magnetic field pushes the motor on start, you can take the start winding out, and start a single phase induction motor any way by hand..
Residential is generally single phase, 3 phase is commercial , you can reverse a 3 phase motor by changing any 2 wires...Maxt