PDA

View Full Version : Pants/Leg Protection

Scat E46
02-08-2012, 01:46 AM
I have been watching a lot of rnickeymouse on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfiIxf29JQ&feature=g-vrec&context=G2a8e7ebRVAAAAAAAADA

anyways, I didn't wear pants a lot of last year, just rode around in my boxers ;)

I have textile jacket, dainese, but the pants will be killer hot - armour, undernearth jeans, what do you guys use?

I want to wear pants every day this summer

Supa Dexta
02-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Over rated bro.

http://www.wrightwriders.com/images/pictures/Funny%20Pics/squid.jpg

Scat E46
02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Haha. Been a while since I have seen that picture.

check out rnickeymouses muholland crashes though.....

Graham_A_M
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
First off that guy in that vid you posted is a either a total squid or just a dumbass. After seeing a zoomed out view of the turn he should have planned the corner in such a way so that he got off the front brake LONG before the apex. Yes, braking hard INTO the apex can and usually will do that. If I was in some kind of panic stop (to avoid a hitting a guy that went down in a similar instance) its best to be hard on the brake at a considerable lean, so if you do drop it, its just the front end that ducks out, meanwhile you have your knee (& knee sliders obviously) very close to the ground so its ready to handle the brunt of the (short) drop. In most instances its very hard to recover from the front end ducking out, but at least if you're prepared for such a thing and (properly) ready for it; the chances of recovering are a lot higher then hitting the ground hard from that height like he did.
Generally for me I try to brake leading into the apex, but never touch the brakes while going around it. I dont know if thats the fastest way around a corner but I've never had any settling issues myself with either the front or the back.

ANYWAY

I just wear jeans, never the bottom of my two-piece, but for my buddy he swears by his under-armour. Apparently it works amazingly well.
From what he says it just wicks away the moisture and keeps you dry and cool.
I forget what brands he uses or where he gets it from, but you can find it quite reasonably around town. I think he gets it at Sport Chek or something very similar. Some guys just wear their boxers or whatever (seen a few racers do that way back when we had races at Rat City raceway). Although I dont know how good that works, or how practical that would be having to wear your leather pants around the whole time when not riding or having to keep actual jeans on you at all times.

Shlade
02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
it only takes going 20kms-0 to rash up your legs... jeans do not help.. invest in a good thick pair of pants.. My buddy just bought a set of Icon ones which have some pretty thick padding under them.

My next purchase for sure then ill have full gear..

TYMSMNY
02-08-2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/

you can buy "under armour" stuff such as shorts or board shorts with extra padding to wear under your jeans. Areas to cover... butt, hips, and knees.

MrSector9
02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
I have some kevlar jeans I usually wear around town, I still don't really trust them, I plan on getting some heavier textile pants for the summer on highway trips.

Graham_A_M
02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
it only takes going 20kms-0 to rash up your legs... jeans do not help.. invest in a good thick pair of pants.. My buddy just bought a set of Icon ones which have some pretty thick padding under them.

My next purchase for sure then ill have full gear..
Of course they dont. For aggressive riding I wear the full two-piece. For just bombing around *WELL* within my comfort zone I dont see any real need to wear much more then my jacket, gloves & boots; so I dont.

Dont get me wrong Im not a dumbass that thinks it CANT happen, but unless I ride like a tard from CGP then I'm not too worried about the very remote chance or whatever. :dunno:

Euro_Trash
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9
I have some kevlar jeans I usually wear around town, I still don't really trust them, I plan on getting some heavier textile pants for the summer on highway trips.

That is what I was going to pick up this year. Has to be better than the normal jeans I wear now

MrSector9
02-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I got shift ones at bowcycle on clearance, they are comfy, they have elastic sections in the crotch and lower back area, can tell where the kevlar is inside easily and they are not really that hot compared to normal jeans.

Shlade
02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Of course they dont. For aggressive riding I wear the full two-piece. For just bombing around *WELL* within my comfort zone I dont see any real need to wear much more then my jacket, gloves & boots; so I dont.

Dont get me wrong Im not a dumbass that thinks it CANT happen, but unless I ride like a tard from CGP then I'm not too worried about the very remote chance or whatever. :dunno:

Yeah crappy thing that happend to me was the ground was not warm enough for the rear tire to hook at all and going around a corner quite slow might I add (15-20k MAX) the rear end slipped from under me and took me and the bike. Rashed up my knee a bit and that was with some PJ`s under my jeans. It can happen at any time lol I learned that the hard way

e31
02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
I took a spill last year and all things considered, came out well.

I was wearing full gauntlet gloves, full boots, leather jacket and regular jeans. Ended up sliding 75 feet while still partially on the bike. Bit of rash on the shoulder, a wear spot on the knuckle protector and palm, and some boot plastic worn off (:thumbsup: Sidi).

If I were to eat asphalt again, I'll be wearing full protection. I can deal with a tumble off a bike, but lacerations/road rash will put a quick stop to everyone's fun.

Shlade
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
^
A-fucking-greed

Scat E46
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by e31

If I were to eat asphalt again, I'll be wearing full protection. I can deal with a tumble off a bike, but lacerations/road rash will put a quick stop to everyone's fun.

Thats exactly it. So looking for dece road rash protection but don't want to get sweaty balls

TYMSMNY
02-09-2012, 12:12 AM
IMO, stay away from icon jeans. Took a sliding spill in them going 80-90, tore right through the kevlar knee area.

natty54
02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Was wearing my full leathers for the better part of the summer (wore pants for the way to hot days). But I swear I was going to die some of the days in the city lol

Been thinking of getting some Draggin jeans

japan_us
02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Typically, around town I wear Draggins. The reviews were good, and they look fairly decent. Compared to other kevlar jeans out there, they definitely feel more sturdy. My only real complaint is that they get a bit warm (probably because of all that kevlar lining), but never to the point where I regret wearing them. The plus side is that they keep the legs warm if you're out late at night.

For highway riding I have a pair of textiles. I don't trust the armour because it won't stay in place, but I wear full boots and armour shorts that I use for track, so I’m mostly covered.

If I’m making short trips around my neighbourhood (DT), I’ll just wear regular jeans.

Go4Long
02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Every time I see videos from mullholland I laugh at people's riding styles, EVERYONE thinks they're pro star on that road, and 95% of the vids you see the riders are so crossed up they look like fuckin morons. Ass way off the seat and their head still dead center on the bike.

Anyway, I ride with Joe Rockey Ballistic Textiles around town for reasonable riding. If I plan on ripping it on some of the more fun roads I'll USUALLY wear my two piece. Commuting to work during the summer I'll wear jeans on shifts when I'm allowed to wear jeans at work, otherwise it's the textiles.

Graham_A_M
02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
IMO, stay away from icon jeans. Took a sliding spill in them going 80-90, tore right through the kevlar knee area.
It's icon dude, what were you expecting? That may as well be the choice brand of the shells angels/ CGP crew.

Icon has always made poorly designed crap and likely always will.

Shlade
02-09-2012, 12:34 PM
hey cmon lets not go there... They make some great quality jackets.. My thick leather jacket saved my ass without leaving a mark. Ill stand by Icon and their product unless they give me a reason not to.

TYMSMNY
02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
LOL. Way to tell me afterwards.

Now I ride with the Draggin' Jeans around town and leathers for trips/out of town/etc.