PDA

View Full Version : Review: Raj Palace - Country Hills

1barA4
02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
We ordered some takeout from Raj Palace on Wednesday night since it was something different and close (note that we have never eaten at the downtown Raj Palace either).

We got the Chicken Dum Biryani, Tandoori Roasted Lamb, Aloo Ghobi and the Chicken 65.

Chicken Dum Biryani - So, I'm not incredibly familiar with South-Indian food, but the chicken dum biryani was very different than 'normal' biryani. It was much lighter, flavored with more fenugreek (and lighter on the typical curry flavors of garam masala or whatever it's called), and the chicken consisted of large chunks of breast, and a whole drumstick (all skinless). It was good, and the container was filled to the brim.

Tandoori Roasted Lamb - Ok, maybe I was expecting something different than what I got (i.e. a marinated but dry roasted assortment of lamb) but what was in the container was a curry. Like the biryani, had less of the usual 'curry' flavors, and had whole curry leaves in it. It was good...but not what i was expecting, and the container really only was about half full.

Aloo Ghobi - mostly potatoes, some onions and almost no cauliflower. It was very good (to my tastes at least) and the container was filled to the brim.

Chicken 65 - Oh this is a tough one. I haven't seen many places that do Chicken 65 (look it up on wiki, interesting array of stories regarding the name). The Chicken 65 at Raj Palace consisted of small, seasoned and fried nuggets of white meat and a spattering of raw onion rings and a lemon wedge. The nuggets tasted like a combination of chinese five spice powder and a little bit of curry powder. Not unpleasant in the slightest, but I was disappointed that, in total, there were less than 12 pieces of chicken (each piece being roughly the size of 1/3 of a McDonald's chicken nugget).

Oh...the owner did throw in some free papadum (a small paper bag full) and I have to say that hands down, they were the best I've had in my entire life. Some places add some peppercorns and some other seasonings (cumin-esque) but these were fresh, crisp and not greasy and tasted like nutty lentil chip heaven.

Price-wise, it's standard indian fare (bill was 57.00 including tax and a 18% tip) but the amount of food we got wasn't impressive, but at the same time, the taste and quality were definitely good and I may have to try more South Indian food in the future.

I'd recommend giving the place a try, but note that they don't deliver right now (as they have not nailed down a deal with the delivery company yet, despite their menu saying they deliver). For us, however, Curry N Hurry will remain our 'because we're drinking or lazy and they deliver' Indian food fix in the NW.

Weapon_R
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
You were charged an 18% tip for takeout??

bignerd
02-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Curry N Hurry is okay, last time I got butter chicken from there it was way over salted.

1barA4
03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You were charged an 18% tip for takeout??

Na, we felt bad about 0 tipping, even on takeout :nut: <- us

BigDL
03-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Curry N Hurry is not the same once the original owner passed away.

bigbadboss101
05-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I liked Raj. Pretty good food, better prices that some other places and the lady is pretty friendly. Good portions, good taste, not bad prices.