PDA

View Full Version : 29 mountain bike advice

rob the knob
02-11-2012, 06:12 PM
i went shopping and rode 26 and 29. i like 29 better.

whats your opinion on these two bicycles?

kona hei hei 29 for $1899 http://www.konaworld.com/mtb_xc_race_dual_suspension.cfm?content=hei_hei_2-9

or

norco shinobi 3 for $2399 http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/29er-all-mountain/shinobi/ you have to then click on to get to the 3

i wonder is the parts on the norco much better to be worth $500?

Mitsu3000gt
02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Have you ridden a 29er on a trail yet?

They don't climb as well and don't handle as well. I prefer the 26, but it's definitely personal preference. A friend of mine tried out a 29er recently, loved it initially and was dead set on buying it, but after a few more rides went back to a 26. 29ers are harder to get going but roll well once you do. Just not as good for technical trails and climbing IMO.

Don't forget to look at the Giant Trance X...probably the X3 or X1 in your price range:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/trance.x.3/9793/49405/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/trance.x.1/9793/49404/

If you're looking for something a little beefier, look at the Reign, and Reign X.

IMO the Fox 32 on the Giant is a better fork than the Marzocchi or RockShox on the Kona or Norco.

IMO the Trance X's are the best bikes out there in this segment. Also their rear suspension design is one of the best if not the best out there. I think they won bike of the year the year they came out, too. Don't think it's offered in a 29 though, if you're set on that. Just another thing to look at :) .

swak
02-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Personally, i would go for the Norco, far better bang for your buck (re: parts specifically)

Marazzochi is right up there with fox, imo...

But i strongly disagree with Mitsu...

You lose a little bit of the technical aspect yes, but the speed of the bike and its plushness and rolling ability (due to the big wheels) is so superior to a 26" that the loss is negligible.
Due to geometry, a 29er should climb 120% better than a 26, or you're doing it wrong. Its easier to get over the bars, and balance weight on a 29er, and due to the rolling ability, should climb a like a beast.

Wait for the XC Nationals or even 24 Hrs, 99% of the bikes i bet will be a 29er. Guaranteed.

BTW... Does anybody know what the wheel size on a 29er is?
:bigpimp:

bigboom
02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I went from a 26" stumpjumper pro fsr to my new tallboy which is a 29'er. There isn't anything i could do on my stumpjumper that i cannot do on my tallboy. My tallboy climbs better, is faster and overall a better fit for me. I know a lot of people that made the switch but also some that hate 29ers. Pick the one you feel most comfortable on. I spent years on a 26...first time i rode a 29er it felt more natural.

I will agree that yes my stumpy was a little more nimble but not enough so to outweigh the benefits of a 29'er. As Swak mentioned a lot of the guys last year at the 24 hours of adrenalin rocked 29ers...also Kulhavy won the WC on a 29er last year. ;)

The big things about a 29er is the attack angle...makes rolling over obstacles much easier.

And based on the two bikes you are looking at i'd definitely go for the shinobi.

Mtn Tow
02-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Bladeh
02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Going up hill would be tougher would it not on a 29er?

I will be looking at getting back on the bike again after a few years out, will be looking at the Norco Charger I think for myself.

swak
02-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Bladeh
Going up hill would be tougher would it not on a 29er?

I will be looking at getting back on the bike again after a few years out, will be looking at the Norco Charger I think for myself.

If you were geared 22-14 say on your 26" and 29er MTB, yes it'd be harder on the 29er. But the geo on the 29er will help you balance your weight between the two wheels better when climbing... and it will roll over everything better... Thus making for a better climb