PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a on board camera on your car?



Pages : [1] 2 3

extracrunchie
02-12-2012, 10:05 AM
well you should, or else this would happen......F'in scum

The reason why you need a dash camera (scam foiled) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LptT_hGmQkY&feature=player_embedded)


taken from another forum

"The cops weren't interested in the video evidence because it's not a criminal offense, nor was it a serious problem. Told the colleague to fix everything himself.

Funny thing is, my colleague said the brown guy wanted to call the cops anyways when he knew he was being recorded because it's illegal to have a dash cam. Well I'm not sure if it's illegal or not, but it saved my colleague big time. "

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/432111_10150511207131525_508021524_8966803_576848426_n.jpg

I am not the original poster of this video but I want to show awareness to scumbag as such.

Scam Foiled By Dash Cam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWvG4KAYJfY&feature=player_embedded)

Here is another example, you can see she was already blaming the driver behind her.

nobb
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
GG.

I have a surveillance camera installed which turns on/off automatically when the vehicle is on. I also have a bypass switch to let it run 24/7 for if I am parked in sketchy locations. About $250 for all the hardware via eBay. Never had to use the camera footage yet, but this is a good reminder as to why it helps to be prepared.

Tik-Tok
02-12-2012, 10:45 AM
I installed el-cheapo ones in both our cars, but when I checked them a month ago, both had failed. Am going to buy proper setups soon, when I get my new car.

extracrunchie
02-12-2012, 11:05 AM
im gonna go with this one.
New BlackVue DR400G-HD 16GB Vehicle Car Black-Box Drive GPS Recorder | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-BlackVue-DR400G-HD-16GB-Vehicle-Car-Black-Box-Drive-GPS-Recorder-/160654228985)

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb124/Matzuda/DSC_0942.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb124/Matzuda/DSC_0943.jpg

BlackVue DR400G-HD Day Test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_Oi2Z8ljk&feature=player_embedded)
BlackVue DR400G-HD Night Test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcsfYo0szOM&feature=related)

I think im gonna go with this one, its more discrete

Scat E46
02-12-2012, 11:13 AM
I've always wanted to get one - then I went carless for one year.

Would a go pro be too much work I wonder? You can charge them and record at the same time.

I want a gopro for the fun of having one, but then double it as a car cam.

Mar
02-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I use a webcam and I wrote some software to overlay my GPS speed onto the video. Now if a cop pulls me over, I can compare his radar readout with my actual speed.

NCS05
02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by extracrunchie
im gonna go with this one.
New BlackVue DR400G-HD 16GB Vehicle Car Black-Box Drive GPS Recorder | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-BlackVue-DR400G-HD-16GB-Vehicle-Car-Black-Box-Drive-GPS-Recorder-/160654228985)

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb124/Matzuda/DSC_0942.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb124/Matzuda/DSC_0943.jpg

BlackVue DR400G-HD Day Test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_Oi2Z8ljk&feature=player_embedded)
BlackVue DR400G-HD Night Test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcsfYo0szOM&feature=related)

I think im gonna go with this one, its more discrete

Ive always wanted a dash cam too. Just out of curiosity for the ones you posted, on average, how many hours of recording would you have? Would it record over the previous footage so you wouldn't have to keep deleting stuff or if you forget to delete it? Does it turn on as you start the car? Lol I'm such a noob

FraserB
02-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Scat E46
I've always wanted to get one - then I went carless for one year.

Would a go pro be too much work I wonder? You can charge them and record at the same time.

I want a gopro for the fun of having one, but then double it as a car cam.

I have a GoPro, all I need to do is erase everything if I dont need the footage and then pop the card back in the next morning. Simple mount on the dash and good field of vision.

It would be cool if I could overlay GPS speed onto it, but its not a massive issue. Might look at the BlackVue though.

extracrunchie
02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by NCS05


Ive always wanted a dash cam too. Just out of curiosity for the ones you posted, on average, how many hours of recording would you have? Would it record over the previous footage so you wouldn't have to keep deleting stuff or if you forget to delete it? Does it turn on as you start the car? Lol I'm such a noob

from the reviews on this camera, it automatically record over old footage

Resurrected RA
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I have mount for my cell phone to record driving video. A couple months ago I took this gem. I wish I had recorded our confrontation after, and her reaction to seeing the video.

The driver of the red Corolla was upset with me. I explained that when changing lanes she should indicate her intentions. She was adamant that she did indicate her intentions.

Exhibit A.
LorecEq1Ojc

After this she pulled up beside me on 1st SW having a meltdown, and followed me to my destination, on 9th Ave SW. I showed her the video, told her to eat-a-dick and take some driving lessons. (Not really, I was rather polite, considering she was a complete nutbar.)

I won't drive without it recording now. With the Torque app, I can overlay information onto my video too, speed, RPM, GPS map, etc.

Hamann
02-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Wonder why the Cops wouldn't want the Video for proof, wouldn't they be able to charge the guy with Fraud or Attempted fraud or something? All the work has been done (Ie Video Evidence)

extracrunchie
02-12-2012, 08:20 PM
i think for one, the conversion was not recorded, so its not hard evidence

Canucks3322
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Resurrected RA
I have mount for my cell phone to record driving video. A couple months ago I took this gem. I wish I had recorded our confrontation after, and her reaction to seeing the video.

The driver of the red Corolla was upset with me. I explained that when changing lanes she should indicate her intentions. She was adamant that she did indicate her intentions.

Exhibit A.
LorecEq1Ojc

After this she pulled up beside me on 1st SW having a meltdown, and followed me to my destination, on 9th Ave SW. I showed her the video, told her to eat-a-dick and take some driving lessons. (Not really, I was rather polite, considering she was a complete nutbar.)

I won't drive without it recording now. With the Torque app, I can overlay information onto my video too, speed, RPM, GPS map, etc.

Wow, what happened after you showed her the video?? Honking is worse than shooting someone in Calgary lol...when I first moved here I honked at a middle aged white woman and she gave me a death stare like she was gonna pull out a gun and shoot me. Now, when someone does what happened in that video, I just honk once and move on, I figure there's always gonna be idiots like that, so I never drive in someone's blind spot and try to never drive beside someone, if I do, i speed up to get ahead...

Back on topic, wouldn't it be easier just to mount your cellphone's recorder under the rearview mirror? Unless you're driving around more than an hour a day it should be good enough...

Crazyjoker77
02-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Heres my latest example of fine driving caught on tape... With the price of a dashcam and card being under a 100$ there no reason not to have one.

4SrkiPGNlOc&context=C39bb28eADOEgsToPDskIrWF2ra_15694-8gKybgzR

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SrkiPGNlOc&context=C39bb28eADOEgsToPDskIrWF2ra_15694-8gKybgzR)

Xtrema
02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by extracrunchie
im gonna go with this one.
New BlackVue DR400G-HD 16GB Vehicle Car Black-Box Drive GPS Recorder | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-BlackVue-DR400G-HD-16GB-Vehicle-Car-Black-Box-Drive-GPS-Recorder-/160654228985)


Nice. Wire to the fuse box as long as the recording rolls over, it seems to be a perfect unit.

DEATH2000
02-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by extracrunchie
[B]im gonna go with this one.
New BlackVue DR400G-HD 16GB Vehicle Car Black-Box Drive GPS Recorder | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-BlackVue-DR400G-HD-16GB-Vehicle-Car-Black-Box-Drive-GPS-Recorder-/160654228985)

Let us know how that works out. Im definitley interested in getting one. Ive had a few instances where ive almost been hit and would love to have some proof it was somone else being the idiot and not me.

Looks like it comes with a cigarrete plug adapter, but i suppose hard wiring it in shouldnt be too hard.

Maybelater
02-12-2012, 11:44 PM
I own a total P.O.S and couldn't really care if someone sent the thing to the bottom of the lake. But, I've considered getting one in case I was ever in an accident, video footage is better then recited memory.

Stealth22
02-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Damn, I want one now.

Only thing is, would someone want to steal it if it was left in your car? :drama:


Originally posted by DEATH2000

Let us know how that works out. Im definitley interested in getting one. Ive had a few instances where ive almost been hit and would love to have some proof it was somone else being the idiot and not me.

Looks like it comes with a cigarrete plug adapter, but i suppose hard wiring it in shouldnt be too hard.
+1. Group buy, anyone? :D

No but seriously, I'm considering it now. I'd consider it even if I have to charge the battery in the house every day.

kfon
02-13-2012, 12:39 AM
just went online and bought a GoPro Hero 2 motorsports. Thanks for the thread : D

btimbit
02-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Just ordered one. Wanted one for a while but some of the videos in this thread, as well as some events on crowchild today, have convinced me.

luxor
02-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
Heres my latest example of fine driving caught on tape... With the price of a dashcam and card being under a 100$ there no reason not to have one.

4SrkiPGNlOc&context=C39bb28eADOEgsToPDskIrWF2ra_15694-8gKybgzR

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SrkiPGNlOc&context=C39bb28eADOEgsToPDskIrWF2ra_15694-8gKybgzR)

Please explain to us what the fuck is going on here? Yeah I see she didn't properly yield to you but what I'm not understanding is why you hammered your brakes right after and then gun it to a red light, so do explain.

kfon
02-13-2012, 01:47 AM
typical bad ass stare down that doesn't resolve nor prove how bad ass someone really is? : D

cde1966
02-13-2012, 05:31 AM
I've had a carera for about two years now, one video I have is a guy backing into me, the camera saved me $1400 due to the guy trying to say I hit him. Mine is hard wired and runs 24/7 in a 10 hour/15min loop. It's settled many disputes in parking lots, all I need to do is point to the camera and the other driver can see that he's in the wrong...

If you're going to put a camera in you'd better learn how to drive first. Stopping in the middle of the street for no reason could get you in trouble...

89s1
02-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by luxor


Please explain to us what the fuck is going on here? Yeah I see she didn't properly yield to you but what I'm not understanding is why you hammered your brakes right after and then gun it to a red light, so do explain.

x2

J-hop
02-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Yea I was confused as well, stopping traffic in the middle of a road is pretty dangerous in itself. Two shitty displays of driving don't make a right do they.

taemo
02-13-2012, 07:30 AM
any good apps for the iphone that does loop recording?

spike98
02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by luxor


Please explain to us what the fuck is going on here? Yeah I see she didn't properly yield to you but what I'm not understanding is why you hammered your brakes right after and then gun it to a red light, so do explain.

Tough guy for sure. If you look at his other youtube vid he is street racing a wrx down a dangerous hill in the hat. Pretty idiotic if you ask me.

Royle9
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Appreciate the post, ordering one of these for sure.

Going to start backing into my driveway and hopefully record the coke head who keeps attempting to loot the vehicles on my block every few weeks.

Multi Purpose :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by luxor


Please explain to us what the fuck is going on here?

Pretty self explanatory. He caught a shitty driver on video, from the viewpoint of the shitty driver.

sexualbanana
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok


Pretty self explanatory. He caught a shitty driver on video, from the viewpoint of the shitty driver.

Takes one to know one, I guess

Ven
02-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
Heres my latest example of fine driving caught on tape... With the price of a dashcam and card being under a 100$ there no reason not to have one.

4SrkiPGNlOc&context=C39bb28eADOEgsToPDskIrWF2ra_15694-8gKybgzR

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SrkiPGNlOc&context=C39bb28eADOEgsToPDskIrWF2ra_15694-8gKybgzR)

Who's fine driving? Hers or yours? WTF are you doing? And nice street racing video you've got posted too. Use your fucking head.

89s1
02-13-2012, 05:03 PM
LOL, then he makes the video private...


What a spineless bitch. :poosie:

raceman6135
02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
LOL, then he makes the video private...


What a spineless bitch. :poosie:

Shit, I missed it, too :(

tentacles
02-13-2012, 06:02 PM
I have cams on all my cars. One thing to keep in mind is that you need a Class 10 SD card to record at >640x480 resolution. Any lower and the video will skip.

I'm a pretty terrible driver though, so mostly my videos don't "help" me. :nut:

89s1
02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
I'm a pretty terrible driver though

Can't be any worse than the last idiot that posted up a video. :dunno:

Squishy
02-13-2012, 07:15 PM
I just sent a message to the Blackvue camera seller to inquire about a group buy. Would anyone be interested in part taking in this if they give enough of a discount?

Ven
02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
I just sent a message to the Blackvue camera seller to inquire about a group buy. Would anyone be interested in part taking in this if they give enough of a discount?

Completely.

Proyecto2000
02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
I just sent a message to the Blackvue camera seller to inquire about a group buy. Would anyone be interested in part taking in this if they give enough of a discount?

I would buy one :)

4DoorGTZ
02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Definetly +1, maybe 2.

nykz
02-13-2012, 08:12 PM
I'd be in for a group buy. After seeing this thread, guess it wouldn't hurt to have one.

FraserB
02-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Id be in

Tik-Tok
02-13-2012, 08:38 PM
There appears to be a group buy going on at RFD for Toronto area... if someone here is a member there, maybe we could add us to them for a bigger discount, and have 'em ship a box to Calgary?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/blackvue-dr400g-hd-dash-cam-group-buy-1142383/

Squishy
02-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey guys so I got a reply back already. Here's what I said:

"Hi I was just wondering if I bought a minimum of two of these cameras, would I be eligible for a discount on them? If I found other people to buy them as well, what kind of deal could I get?

Thanks"

His reply:

"Hello
Thanks for your interest.
Of couse we can give some discount.
We'd love to give you enough discount. But $472 USD for 2sets is the best we can do for you.

If you order at leat 10 sets or more, we can make the price $225 USD per set and EMS free shipping.
Please consider our offer and just let us know your thought.
We'll be looking forward to your reply.
Best regards.^^"

So I buy two we get a whopping $8 off LOL. But yeah, if enough people are interested I'll go ahead and make the group buy, people would just have to trust me and paypal me the money, assuming I couldn't meet up with everyone and get the ~$230 cash or what ever it comes out to. Lots of people on here have met me too. :) I'd also rather make a GB in Calgary and not from Toronto lol. Let me know!

Stealth22
02-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Can I get back to you on this? I'm definitely interested.

In the meantime, I'll register over at RFD and see about adding us onto theirs. You never know how much the price can drop. They can always ask the seller to ship X amount to Toronto and Y amount to Calgary. As long as it all comes in as one group, I think they'd drop the price.

EDIT: I just posted, but apparently a mod has to approve it first, cause its a brand new account. Should be up there soon hopefully.

EDIT2: Damn, I guess I missed this part before. For parking mode, the camera has to be wired directly to the car's battery in order for it to work. I'd like it better if it had it's own battery, even if it only lasted a few hours. I'd be willing to charge it every night, or even as I drive. Cause part of the reason for buying it would be security. :(

natty54
02-13-2012, 09:49 PM
i am pretty regular on rfd you can pm what you would like me to ask?

Stealth22
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by natty54
i am pretty regular on rfd you can pm what you would like me to ask? Well kinda late now, I already submitted my post saying what forum I was from, and that we're doing a group buy, etc etc.

If you want, you can post on behalf of Beyond too, and just say another member posted already but its awaiting moderator approval.

Tik-Tok
02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I was hoping for $200 or less. $15 savings from flEabay price isn't worth a group buy IMO.

Ven
02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/208ttgm.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/vgsqow.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/oa8x6p.jpg

I have a lot more personal information on this guy, but I don't want to punish the family for something their dipshit kid did. Hopefully this scares him a bit and he starts flying straight. This story is on every forum I visit. Moron.

natty54
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
Well kinda late now, I already submitted my post saying what forum I was from, and that we're doing a group buy, etc etc.

If you want, you can post on behalf of Beyond too, and just say another member posted already but its awaiting moderator approval.

How many are interested? (approx)

Stealth22
02-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by natty54
How many are interested? (approx)
From Beyond? Like 8 so far I think. But like Tik-Tok said, our target should be $200 or less, especially if the two forums go together. It may not be worth it otherwise.

And would there be a way to hook this up to a power source without using the car's battery? I'm not sure how much power this thing uses, but if its -30 outside, cars in this city have enough trouble starting as it is.

natty54
02-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I know its a little bigger what about a go-pro group buy? Has more applications

here is a link to the site:

http://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=7

also says they do group buys

natty54
02-13-2012, 10:31 PM
@Ven who is that? and why did you post it? the acura guy?

BlackArcher101
02-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by natty54
I know its a little bigger what about a go-pro group buy? Has more applications
GoPro's may have a lot of applications, but IMO, this isn't one of them. You'll get tired of using it for every day driving fairly quickly. A camera that is wired and starts by itself is the best to use.

Ven
02-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by natty54
@Ven who is that? and why did you post it? the acura guy?

Yup that's him. Roll back artist in the video the OP posted.

The Wanderer
02-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I would be interested if the price is right

kfon
02-13-2012, 10:54 PM
LOL thats mint, Ven!!

people are starting to post the guys personal info on that same youtube video comment section. I've expressed myself nicely there as well. Also there a few dumbass's actually backing up the back up artist's story where the chinese guy actually rear ended him and or the vid was edited.... Seriously....so stupid

GoPro Hero 2 motorsports arriving tomorrow from Oakland, CA. got priority deliverly on that shit. plus it would work great on my vacation later this week.

DEATH2000
02-13-2012, 11:31 PM
They posted his personal info on RFD. They were talking about sending him $500 worth of pizzas (pay at the door obviously)

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-reason-why-you-need-dashcam-1141746/11/

JustinMCS
02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXPAbq61UYk

How about this? Haha. Wow.

tentacles
02-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Just my opinion but I don't think the Blackvue camera is a very good deal for $200. Most of the features like the GPS and the motion sensors are not anything anyone will actually use. What is the GPS for? It's not like in the event of an accident you need to somehow prove where you car was or your speed when you've got the video footage anyway. The viewing angle is 115*? You can get up to 140* with a dealextreme camera. A <$50 dealextreme camera will just start recording automatically with power and have a small LCD screen so you can do playback and proper aim, and that's really all you need. I'd rather have a bunch of $50 cams than a $200 one with GPS and all that shit.

dingmah
02-14-2012, 12:47 AM
I've actually been interested in buying a DOD GS-600 dash cam from eBay after watching the video below last year. Seems to have really good 720p quality in daylight conditions.

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL7zI1qMZb8&feature=youtu.be

iblizzard
02-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Squishy
I just sent a message to the Blackvue camera seller to inquire about a group buy. Would anyone be interested in part taking in this if they give enough of a discount?

I'd be in.

vengie
02-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Id also be in if the price is right. ~$200 target.

Scat E46
02-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by dingmah
I've actually been interested in buying a DOD GS-600 dash cam from eBay after watching the video below last year. Seems to have really good 720p quality in daylight conditions.

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL7zI1qMZb8&amp;feature=youtu.be

What great quality!

And what a messed up video

Wannago
02-14-2012, 05:44 AM
There's an app for Android phones called DailyRoads Voyager that looks cool, I've installed it but haven't played around with it too much.

I'm seriously considering a Contour. They are much like the GoPros, but a bit more compact. This model has GPS, and although they appear to be aimed at the helmet-cam sports crowd, it should work great as an in-car cam.

http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

Also, CAr and Driver did a test of some popular in-car cams:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/shoot-em-up-high-def-action-video-camera-test-feature

Tik-Tok
02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by DEATH2000
They posted his personal info on RFD. They were talking about sending him $500 worth of pizzas (pay at the door obviously)

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-reason-why-you-need-dashcam-1141746/11/

That's a pretty shitty thing to do to a pizzeria. It's not like acura asshole would be legally obligated to pay, so they'd be out of their pocket (including the delivery driver)

Stealth22
02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
There appears to be a group buy going on at RFD for Toronto area... if someone here is a member there, maybe we could add us to them for a bigger discount, and have 'em ship a box to Calgary?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/blackvue-dr400g-hd-dash-cam-group-buy-1142383/
The guy at RFD replied to my post, saying they want to keep it within the Greater Toronto Area for logistical reasons.

The only thing that bugs me is having to power it with the cigarette lighter.

Does the Contour have a built-in battery that would last a few hours? But then again, if it was designed to be a helmet cam, it won't have motion detection.

Tik-Tok
02-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22

The only thing that bugs me is having to power it with the cigarette lighter.


When I installed my el-cheapo one, I ran the power cable under the lip of the headliner, down the A-pillar, and hardwired the power to the car under there.

A little extra work for a MUCH cleaner look.

darthVWader
02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I'd be in as well for the under $200.00 unless we can all agree on a better unit.

00redLUDE
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by nobb
GG.

I have a surveillance camera installed which turns on/off automatically when the vehicle is on. I also have a bypass switch to let it run 24/7 for if I am parked in sketchy locations. About $250 for all the hardware via eBay. Never had to use the camera footage yet, but this is a good reminder as to why it helps to be prepared.


Originally posted by cde1966
I've had a carera for about two years now, one video I have is a guy backing into me, the camera saved me $1400 due to the guy trying to say I hit him. Mine is hard wired and runs 24/7 in a 10 hour/15min loop. It's settled many disputes in parking lots, all I need to do is point to the camera and the other driver can see that he's in the wrong...




Originally posted by tentacles
I have cams on all my cars. One thing to keep in mind is that you need a Class 10 SD card to record at &gt;640x480 resolution. Any lower and the video will skip.


For those that have a camera set up already, would you be willing to take and pic of the set up and the description of how you set it up and maybe even a list of hardware you would need and where you got it from?


Originally posted by tentacles
Just my opinion but I don't think the Blackvue camera is a very good deal for $200. Most of the features like the GPS and the motion sensors are not anything anyone will actually use. What is the GPS for? It's not like in the event of an accident you need to somehow prove where you car was or your speed when you've got the video footage anyway. The viewing angle is 115*? You can get up to 140* with a dealextreme camera. A &lt;$50 dealextreme camera will just start recording automatically with power and have a small LCD screen so you can do playback and proper aim, and that's really all you need. I'd rather have a bunch of $50 cams than a $200 one with GPS and all that shit.

I agree with this. Just want a camera that will record and is hard wired. You have a suggestion of which camera on dealextreme?

Stealth22
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
When I installed my el-cheapo one, I ran the power cable under the lip of the headliner, down the A-pillar, and hardwired the power to the car under there.

A little extra work for a MUCH cleaner look.
I'd probably mess shit up pretty badly if I tried! :rofl:


Originally posted by darthVWader
I'd be in as well for the under $200.00 unless we can all agree on a better unit.
Yeah, the price needs to come down for me to seriously think about it. :(

Royle9
02-14-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm in as well as long as the price is right and the camera options work for everyone.. its a shame you have to connect direct to battery when car is parked as like someone said previously I wanted for that function as well.

tentacles
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE







For those that have a camera set up already, would you be willing to take and pic of the set up and the description of how you set it up and maybe even a list of hardware you would need and where you got it from?



I agree with this. Just want a camera that will record and is hard wired. You have a suggestion of which camera on dealextreme?

For the setup, notice all of the cams come with cigadaptors with really long (like 8 meters) cords, that's so you can run it up into the headliner and down behind the panels like Tik-Tok says. I have one on a car in China and we just went to the Dodge dealer to do it - labour is cheap in China even at dealerships. :love:

Some of the guys over at the RFD thread will splice a 12v wire directly from the power going to the rear view mirror (autodim or power). Not sure if you want to do this on a new car that's still under warranty.

As for the dealextreme cameras they're all pretty much the same inside, just a matter of picking which resolution and recording angle you want. One thing to note is that a lot of them will have IR LEDs in the front. These are useless for use in car because a)they aren't strong enough anyway, in IR they put out about enough illumination as a small flashlight b)windshield glass blocks/reflects IR to some extent so all you get are shitty reflections and c) you have headlights. It's useful if you have it mounted on a helmet and went sneaking around in pitch black at night on foot but I'm not sure what else.

Obviously you want to just set up the camera temporarily and let it run for a few weeks before you do any hard wiring, it sucks to do a great job wiring it in only to have the shitty camera or power supply crap out on you.

Honestly I don't understand why car makers, especially luxury car makers, don't offer these as an OEM option from the factory already. Literally 99% of the hardware - cameras both front and rear, HDD storage, nav, wiring, motion sensors, etc is already in the fucking car, BMW could probably add the feature with a few lines of extra code and $0.02 in wiring and charge $2500 for it as the "///M Sport Active Intelligent Security package" or some such. Why in the age of iPhones are we still splicing wires and ripping up trim panels to install $30 suction cup cameras in our cars?

SKR
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
Honestly I don't understand why car makers, especially luxury car makers, don't offer these as an OEM option from the factory already. Literally 99% of the hardware - cameras both front and rear, HDD storage, nav, wiring, motion sensors, etc is already in the fucking car, BMW could probably add the feature with a few lines of extra code and $0.02 in wiring and charge $2500 for it as the &quot;///M Sport Active Intelligent Security package&quot; or some such. Why in the age of iPhones are we still splicing wires and ripping up trim panels to install $30 suction cup cameras in our cars?

Because it's nice to have video evidence when it suits you, and not so nice when it doesn't. For all its benefits, I wouldn't want a factory-installed camera for cops and lawyers to ask for to build a case against me. And if they knew you had video of it, they'd certainly want to see it.

Not that I drive like an asshole, just that there's a difference between "I think it happened like this" and "it definitely happened like this".

Mibz
02-14-2012, 12:41 PM
A dashcam on my vehicle would play like a Benny Hill clip.

finboy
02-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Would be interested for the right price, $200 is steep IMO, and I would prefer something that comes on when the vehicle turns on, and automatically over-dubs itself.

A dash cam would have helped last night, I saw a city bus driving like a major prick last night.

Zero102
02-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I was interested until I saw the price tag. Of course it is expensive because it comes with GPS and some features I just don't care about.... If there was a bare-bones camera only with similar video quality and a lower price tag I'd probably be in.

I was in a hit and run in 2010, because of "differing stories" I was forced to take 50% liability when I did nothing wrong... I really wish I had a recorder in my car when it happened :(

Stealth22
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
^ Good point. I don't suppose there's an HD camera of a similar size out there that's cheaper, but without motion/G detection etc.

Long as its HD and can record over old videos I'm good.

tentacles
02-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Just go here

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/car-dvr-cameras-1505?page=1&pagesize=52&pagesort=price

I'm not shilling for dealextreme or anything, there are other places to buy them, but they generally have the best laid out website and the most reviews.

Unknown303
02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Here's one from Newegg.ca, 70 dollars too but no gps.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881618095

Stealth22
02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
^ Apparently its not HD either.

I'm gonna have to think about it. I'm a little wary of dealextreme, but its almost like if you want anything decent, the price is almost $200 anyway.

Especially if you want something compact like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gs600-5mp-cmos-vehicle-mount-video-recorder-camcorder-w-gps-logger-infrared-laser-tv-out-tf-slot-54234

Might as well get the BlackVue...

Unknown303
02-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
^ Apparently its not HD either.

I'm gonna have to think about it. I'm a little wary of dealextreme, but its almost like if you want anything decent, the price is almost $200 anyway.

Especially if you want something compact like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gs600-5mp-cmos-vehicle-mount-video-recorder-camcorder-w-gps-logger-infrared-laser-tv-out-tf-slot-54234

Might as well get the BlackVue...

It does 720p. Which isn't that bad for playback.

FraserB
02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I think a bunch of people on 780 would be down for this as well. We might be able to get the cost under $200

97luder
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
id be down for a group buy as well if we can get a good price on that unit or a cheaper one 200 is a bit more then im looking to spend and not looking for the gps or any thing else fancy just to shoot video when i drive

Squishy
02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Well I have the option of buying that Blackvue camera for ~$240 or I can buy pretty much any go pro i want for ~$240 brand new so I don't really care, it's up to you guys but I'd rather keep it Calgary based.

96integra
02-14-2012, 09:55 PM
If you guys dont care for GPS, check out this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329982&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

I'd rather buy an ebay dashcam for 1/4 price of the Blackvue. I would only buy the Blackvue for its size.

Stealth22
02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
It does 720p. Which isn't that bad for playback.
You sure? Maybe I'm out to lunch then. I know the description said 720p, but I read the top-most review, and it said its not true 720p. Another review said the video quality is poor.


Originally posted by FraserB
I think a bunch of people on 780 would be down for this as well. We might be able to get the cost under $200
Originally posted by Squishy
Well I have the option of buying that Blackvue camera for ~$240 or I can buy pretty much any go pro i want for ~$240 brand new so I don't really care, it's up to you guys but I'd rather keep it Calgary based.
Lets give it a try. The Toronto guys on RFD said no anyhow. But if FraserB can get some guys from 780 interested, I'm sure someone can take a box up to Edmonton.

For me personally, I'm still not sure. $200 is pretty steep, but there isn't a whole lot of decent stuff out there for lower. Best case scenario would be getting as many people interested as possible to get the price low.


Originally posted by 96integra
If you guys dont care for GPS, check out this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=329982&amp;perpage=20&amp;highlight=&amp;pagenumber=1

I'd rather buy an ebay dashcam for 1/4 price of the Blackvue. I would only buy the Blackvue for its size.
Well the BlackVue is on eBay. The GPS isn't essential for me, but I suppose it would be a nice to have. Main thing for me is the HD video, loop recording, and the size. The BlackVue is nice and small, I don't want a crazy big camera with an LCD screen mounted on my windshield.

Squishy
02-14-2012, 10:27 PM
The biggest plus for me in my opinion about the GPS/speed recording, etc, is that if you get pulled over or get into an accident or something and are accused of speeding (because we all know some cops like to "estimate" speed............... ), you've got evidence (if in your favor haha) that you weren't doing the suggested speed from the cop, etc.

Like I said, if you can get some 780 guys to send a girl they don't know in Calgary money, have at 'er lol

edit; if enough people buy them from Edmonton, I might drive them up myself

FraserB
02-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Is this a fairly accurate list so far?
1. FraserB
2. Ven
3. Proyecto2000
4. 4DoorGTZ
5. Nykz
6. Natty54
7. Stealth22 (maybe)
8. iblizzard
9. vengie
10. royle9
11. finboy
12. darthVWader

I wonder if they would do $200 a unit of we got 20 or 25 people?

Rusted Bumper
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
I'd be a maybe for 2 of them. But I would really like the option of removing them fairly easily. I can see some broken windows in my future.

K3RMiTdot
02-14-2012, 11:03 PM
im in too!

Tik-Tok
02-14-2012, 11:34 PM
1. FraserB
2. Ven
3. Proyecto2000
4. 4DoorGTZ
5. Nykz
6. Natty54
7. Stealth22 (maybe)
8. iblizzard
9. vengie
10. royle9
11. finboy
12. darthVWader
13. Tik-Tok (Assuming $200, 2 units)

AndyL
02-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Get it under 150 and I'm in, otherwise I'll just order up a rasberry pi, add a webcam, USB gps ... and a few other bits n pieces...

jdmXSI
02-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
1. FraserB
2. Ven
3. Proyecto2000
4. 4DoorGTZ
5. Nykz
6. Natty54
7. Stealth22 (maybe)
8. iblizzard
9. vengie
10. royle9
11. finboy
12. darthVWader
13. Tik-Tok (Assuming $200, 2 units)
14. Jdmxsi if under $200

Zero102
02-15-2012, 09:03 AM
At $150 I think I'd be in for a pair, at $200 I have to think about it more... It just still feels like I'm paying for features I don't give a crap about.

For those who think that the speed overlay from its internal GPS would hold up in court, it wouldn't.

As for that Vonnic camera, my $7 ebay 808 camera takes better video than that, unacceptable quality in my opinion.

Mibz
02-15-2012, 09:39 AM
GPS overlay is about as useful as Joe Blow's testimony. "I SEEN DA GOT DANG VTAK WER BLOWIN'! DAT CUR MUSTA BEEN DOIN' 200!"

Maybelater
02-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Why not make a new thread for the group buy? Probably get more people interested.

Ven
02-15-2012, 10:08 AM
I just don't see the cheap ones lasting in the weather extremes we have here. Plus the form factor of the Blackvue is great for permanent installations. Personally I like the GPS feature, it's actually a deciding factor for me. The parking mode on the Blackvue is also a great feature. I'm in on this, I think it's one of the better dash cams on the market. Get that price down! Maybe there's another vendor who's more aggressive on pricing. :thumbsup:

Squishy
02-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I just sent them another message in regards to getting the price down to $200 but I don't think they'll do it. Waiting for a reply.

Zero102
02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
What do you guys think of this?... 5MP native sensor should be able to produce reasonably clear video, 132* field of view, loop recording... It doesn't say what it has for auto-record options, but it probably has something useful there

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/720p-5mp-wide-angle-car-dvr-camcorder-w-night-vision-tv-out-hdmi-tf-silver-grey-2-4-tft-lcd-101991

This appears to be a video from the same model of camera (a F1000B)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXrYxymDHJ4&feature=related

Looks good enough to me and the price sounds right too

Tik-Tok
02-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
What do you guys think of this?... 5MP native sensor should be able to produce reasonably clear video, 132* field of view, loop recording... It doesn't say what it has for auto-record options, but it probably has something useful there


Looks bulky as hell, just as all the previous suggestions, except the Blackvue, which is why I like it. Honestly don't give a crap about the GPS either, but I'm willing to pay extra for a clean looking install that doesn't have a giant box that's highly visible to me.

These are my previous ones, that worked great for a few months, but they were $30 chinese junk that eventually failed.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/329982/poor-mans-car-cam/