PDA

View Full Version : MacBook hanging when rebooting/ shutting down

FoxTrot
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
I get it every now and then and it really pisses me off especially with this Inte SSD. I got it before on my old drive too. From what i notice now i boot the computer up once, its good, reboot without even opening anything, no hang reboots right away. Once thats done rebooting, once it loads up, again dont open anything, reboot, it hangs for a least a minute or two. All it shows is the blue/grey screne that you quickly see before it shuts down or reboots. All I see is this dial going round and round and it takes 2-3mins to finally start to reboot. I barely have anything running and it hangs - shows the blue screen and has the dial spin over and over and over and over. I close the lid and it doesnt even do anything! So I have to hold the power button for 3secs to turn it off .

I tried restoring to earlier point using time machine. No go.

Tried resetting the PRAM, no go.

tom_9109
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Welcome to Lion.

acura_el
02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Have you kept up with regular maintenance?

e31
02-13-2012, 11:22 PM
No need to worry, this is a feature specifically programmed for you by your turtle-necked buddy in the sky. If you don't like it...

dragonone
02-14-2012, 12:28 AM
have you tried disk utility and repair permissions etc.?

i've only experienced this problem when installing a pirate version of windows on someone's mbp. the genuine version is fine every time.

triplep
02-14-2012, 02:22 AM
did you buy extended care just out of curiosity? if you did I would suggest taking it to them, or maybe just do a complete clean and wipe of the HD?

sputnik
02-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Wait a minute.

Are you sure you aren't using a PC?

Where are the legions of Mac fanboys that claim that Macs ALWAYS work perfectly and that only PCs crash or have problems?

-Pqrz_lMFOA

FoxTrot
02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Yes ive repaired disk volume, disk permission using disk utility disk.

Next step is to wipe it. But i googled it and apparently a lot of others have this issue, wiped it and didnt fix it anything. So id be pissed if i spent the time and didnt do anything.

And with macs i find regular maintenance is not really needed. I have SSD so defragging is not recommended cause not good for the drive, i dont have spyware or viruses. I clear my cache in safari, thats about it.

benyl
02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
I had that problem, but it would never reboot.

I figured out it was that I wasn't unloading the network shares that I had to my WHS.

Cos
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM

CanmoreOrLess
02-14-2012, 09:40 PM
I'd run Applejack (free) and see if it takes care of the demons. It cannot hurt and helps me a couple of times a year, and now with Lion I have used it twice so far. Takes maybe five minutes to do the task.

Download, install, restart holding down " command S ". I think the last line is a command to do all the repairs, " a " I think in the choices, spelled out very clearly once you restart. Don't freak out at the code flying by in the first few seconds, this works and is normal.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Review (see last paragraph): http://www.macworld.com/article/135377/2008/09/applejack15.html