PDA

View Full Version : Temporary permit

laser05
02-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Hey, so I have searched beyond and found several threads with this same question...except I can't seem to find my answer

How can I get a temporary permit for a used car I purchased to drive back to SK.?

I have called several car insurance companies/brokers and they all tell me they only offer insurance for 6 months or a year. I don't have any vehicles insured in AB so I don't have a connection with any of these companies.(this seems to be my biggest problem)

Suggestions ?

dannie
02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
SGI is who you need to deal with for the insurance. They offer a temporary binder so you can drive it. Once you have that paperwork, go to the Registries with your bill of sale, SGI paperwork and your licence, and they will sell you an intransit permit, which will take you from point A to point B.

hurrdurr
02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
I was pretty sure in transit was within province only and for delivery to a mechanic's shop or the like?

carson blocks
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm not an insurance expert, but see if the SPF1 section of your insurance policy covers you for newly acquired vehicles, then if so just borrow the plate and registration off one of your current cars and drive it back under the '14 day' registration rule.

I've been told this is only legal if you have only one insurance company.

dannie
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
@Hurrdurr... no, as long as the originating or ending point is in Alberta and the vehicle is not leaving the country, it is a valid permit. They can be used inter-provincially, for servicing, demonstration purposes or point A to B

dannie
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
@ Carson.... there are specific rules that need to be followed when temporarily using a plate off another vehicle. Specifically, that guideline is only to be used if that plate is staying on the new vehicle. If you are using it on the new one and pop it back on the old car, that is not the acceptable practice for that legislation.

carson blocks
02-14-2012, 04:44 PM
That's good to know so at least if you get stopped, you can give the correct answer that you intend to leave this particular plate on the car. The insurance is the big worry IMO, a no-insurance ticket, or worse, an uninsured accident is a much bigger deal than a ticket for improper registration.

laser05
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
I didn't even think of contacting SGI...duhh

I get a temporary intransit form from them. then head down to a registry and get the required paper work.(according to SGI) Much easier then I thought, thanks!

dannie
02-14-2012, 05:33 PM
@ Laser... ya, it's very easy. Once you get the paperwork from SGI (and a faxed copy is fine for registries), head into the registry with the SGI documents, bill of sale and your drivers licence and ask for an intransit permit. It's gonna cost you $24.45 and you are golden!