PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drive a Range Rover Sport?

clem24
02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Anyone? The supercharged version in particular, but the regular one too. I really, really hate SUVs but for some reason I keep getting drawn to these.

I guess I want to know how reliability is like, what regular maintenance is like, and how much random stuff breaks on a regular basis.

AndyL
02-14-2012, 10:37 PM
LOL, you don't own a range rover if you want to drive it... You own it so you can take your friends and show them it's still parked at calgary land rover - where it's been for the last 6 months, waiting for parts still :)

There's more than a few threads here about land rover / range rover...

AE92_TreunoSC
02-14-2012, 10:44 PM
The sports are fucking expensive to own. Tires and brakes alone usually shock the new owners. Let alone if something fails off warranty.

It's very much a luxury vehicle, great interiors and drive, but when shit goes wrong, its massive.

I wouldn't buy one personally (if I had the need), the Cayenne or ml v8's have much better reputations. ML's are built much more solid and you wont live to regret it.

VWEvo
02-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I've owned 2 Range Rover Sports.

2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

I would personally never own a pre 2010 Range Rover, wayyyyyy to many problems. However, ever since Tata motors bought Range rover and sourced the Jaguar Engine, it has been absolutely amazing. I traded my 2011 Range Rover Sport for a brand new full size (needed more room), they really are incredible vehicles. I'm not suggesting they are far superior to Porcshe or BMW, but there is something about the Range Rover that makes it amazing. I'm already on my 3rd one.

JordanLotoski
02-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I can vouch for the motor as I have the supercharged motor in my jaguar. Love it.....I'd stick to 2010 or newer as well

In regards to maintenance I've had my jag for over 2 years and no major issues. Motor has been rock solid.

Good luck

clem24
02-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Hahaha this is not looking overly positive.. A newer Sport is out of the question. Just a little out of my price range. Would be looking at something like a 2007...

Perhaps I should be looking at an X5 though in all honesty they don't really seem to appeal to me much. There's just something about the Range Rover...

Maxt
02-15-2012, 05:52 AM
I looked at the Range rover, cayennes, x-5's, and G wagons, I ended up with a Jeep Srt8, pretty incredible bang for the buck performance.. Only downside is the interior, cheesy steering and shifter for a relatively high end Ute. Seats are great though.
You'd be surprised what you can take down light to light with a 5k lb sport utility though and the exhaust noise is addictive..

Redlyne_mr2
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
I own an hse, unless you know how to work on them yourself or can drop $10k a year into one for repairs don't buy one. I love mine regardless of
The issues.

JordanLotoski
02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm going to be selling my 2011 x5 50i if anyone's interested

LowRiderHD2000
02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
You will love your truck as long as it's not costing a fortune. I have owned 1 RR S/C and 2 RR Sport S/C. 2 out of the 3 were very expensive to own and maintain. Also Range Rover Calgary is a pain in the ass to deal with and parts are very expensive. Service and repairs were always quick but were completed half ass. The trucks are a blast to drive.

CSMRX7
02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
I have a 2007 FF HSE has 98,000km. Been great so far, only minor issues, and no really crazy bills. The truck is highend with lots of gadgets so shit will eventually go wrong but same things with most vehicles.

Honestly I was expecting a lot more problems, but now I can't see another SUV I would rather have and am considering buying a newer one.

VWEvo
02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
I have a 2007 FF HSE has 98,000km. Been great so far, only minor issues, and no really crazy bills. The truck is highend with lots of gadgets so shit will eventually go wrong but same things with most vehicles.

Honestly I was expecting a lot more problems, but now I can't see another SUV I would rather have and am considering buying a newer one.
Nice taste in cars ;)

I really think range rovers are incredible, but I would be very worried buying one that is off warranty. My 2009 needed so much work that eventually RR gave us a brand new one, but it was a huge hassle:

CSMRX7
02-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Nice taste in cars ;)

I really think range rovers are incredible, but I would be very worried buying one that is off warranty. My 2009 needed so much work that eventually RR gave us a brand new one, but it was a huge hassle:

That's why I bought one that all the kinks had already been worked out.

;)

clem24
02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by CSMRX7

That's why I bought one that all the kinks had already been worked out.

;)

Ok so how do I go about doing that :nut:

One would think that I should actually buy a high mileage one as a low mileage one would lead one to think it's been sitting in the repair shop all it's life or the owner refuses to drive it in case something breaks... :D

InRich
02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski
I'm going to be selling my 2011 x5 50i if anyone's interested

why u just got it... isn't that your 2nd one in a couple years... seems like a waste of money to me

max_boost
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Notice only the ballers drive one. It's a boss suv with $$$ maintenance bills so if you aren't boss, don't bother! Just saying. Settle for a cheaper SUV haha

bastardchild
02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Notice only the ballers drive one. It's a boss suv with $$$ maintenance bills so if you aren't boss, don't bother! Just saying. Settle for a cheaper SUV haha

:rofl:

sputnik
02-16-2012, 01:38 PM

My boss had an HSE and he would trade it in every 2-3 years for a new one.

Then he wouldn't have to pay for maintenance or a new set of tires.

Maxt
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Real ballers buy G wagons .

KRyn
02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by InRich

why u just got it... isn't that your 2nd one in a couple years... seems like a waste of money to me

Don't hate because you roll a Chevorlet when he rolls a Lamborghini!

clem24
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Well see that's the thing... I am a wagon guy and I absolutely hate SUVs. As in absolutely hate with a passion and want to smash up/blow up/key up every one I see... With one exception. I seem to love the Range Rover. :nut:

Redlyne_mr2
02-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Real ballers buy G wagons .

I love G wagons.. pretty capable off road as well.

Kloubek
02-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Rovers are horrible, horrible vehicles. Maybe as some have stated the newest ones are ok, but in the past they have been absolutely unreliable pieces of junk. I talked my coworker out of buying one and she was crushed, but thanked me for it later. (Mind out of the gutter gentlemen)

They are really cool vehicles though. They look unique, they have good power with the supercharged version, have great luxury and fit/finish. But that is not enough imo if it is going to fail all the time. Cargo space is not that great, there are faster SUVs out there for far less, parts are expensive, guzzles gas, and the Sport model is not suitable for offroad use.

Just doesn't add up to me... but they ARE nifty suvs.

Neil4Speed
02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
nifty

It seems like everyone has a story or two about RR reliability issues. One of my friends parents had one for a while, and it was literally in and out of the dealer weekly for a major engine issue. In the end they ended up doing a complete engine replacement. If it wasn't a problem with the engine it was an issue with the suspension. My bosses has been generally 'ok', however, he did have the differential seize on the highway which is obviously a pretty dangerous situation.

shakalaka
02-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Have a 2011 RR Sport Autobiography. Don't have a single bad thing to say about it really. To me they provide as much luxury/performance/looks as you can expect from a SUV.

Lubu
02-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Have a 2011 RR Sport Autobiography. Don't have a single bad thing to say about it really. To me they provide as much luxury/performance/looks as you can expect from a SUV.

It's because it's a 2011, wait a year or so, and you will see how annoying it gets when small things go wrong on it. I had the 2010 RR Sport Autobiography and it was a pain in the arse. I traded it recently after getting tired of making numerous trips to get things fixed.

And dealing with Range Rover Calgary is the equivalent to dealing with a blown up doll. They just look at you with that dazed look. My RR spent more time in dealership shop than it did in my garage :rolleyes:

msommers
02-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Honestly, how is RR still in business and how do they get away charging so much for such pieces of shit? Status symbol?! What does is symbolize...I have time and money to burn I guess :nut:

CanmoreOrLess
02-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Talk to a Range Rover mechanic, I bet you cannot find one who actually drives what he works on 40 hours a week. Great looking vehicles, anyone praising a less than three year old vehicle as "trouble free" really needs a new definition. Off warranty is when the good vehicle is separated from the bad one.

I wonder what vehicle we would be driving if all vehicles were honestly trouble free? A RR, Jag, Audi, BMW, etc quickly come to mind. Yesterday I saw a 2012 Jaguar XJ, could not take my eyes off of it, stunning. Until then (reliable after 60K), I will stick with the Japanese.

http://www.jaguar.com/ca/en/new_xj/

you&me
02-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Depends what the OP is looking for.

As most have said, stay away from the pre-2010s, where many things were improved, including the mechanicals, styling and interior.

The sweet spot will be a 2010 with low kms. They can be had in good condition for a reasonable price.

I'd avoid buying an '11 and certainly wouldn't touch a 2012 now... The 2013s are coming soon with a restyle, bump in hp and 500lb weight loss! The '12s will take a big kick in the nuts (more so than the regular RR depreciation)...

JordanLotoski
02-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Heres the truck you should buy...

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Land%20Rover/Range%20Rover%20Sport/ST-EUSTACHE/Quebec/5_12720979_/

kaput
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Redlyne_mr2
02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I've heard these are the fastest depreciating vehicles on the road. Does anyone know if there's truth to that or if it's just an anti RR rumor?

Yup it's true.

you&me
02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Yup it's true.

I think it's safe to say "one of"...I don't know if you can say absolutely. There's lots of cars that drop "like keys from a Lear jet" - MB CL AMG, Jaguar XJ, Maserati QPs. It's also dependant on where the vehicle is in it's life cycle. The residuals on the 2010 Range Rovers were quite strong until recently, but now that they've aged and a revision is coming, they're dropping... Lots to consider if you're trying to minimize depreciation on a high(er) end car...

tentacles
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Honestly, how is RR still in business and how do they get away charging so much for such pieces of shit? Status symbol?! What does is symbolize...I have time and money to burn I guess :nut:

Well none of the luxury marques, especially the higher end models, are what people would call "reliable", so really people who buy these don't care and the companies know the market. If they make them too reliable then maybe people will stop buying them? A car that just starts and drives and everything works just doesn't have "soul". :dunno:

Land Rover was always sort of on the edge when Ford owned them but they and Jag are really taking off right now because the British Pound GBP has depreciated massively which helps their profitability a lot, to the point where they really aren't even that expensive - Compare the MSRP on a Discovery/LR3 to a Lexus GX, or a RR to the LX, usually the Land Rover ends up being cheaper with way more power, features, independent air suspension vs live axle, interior, etc. As long as you don't care about the whole "move under its own power" thing then the Land Rover wins every time.

Their sales and profits are way up and they just opened up a second plant in England because they can't keep up with Chinese demand since I guess Chinese people don't really know any better. Tata has been making a mint off them.

CanmoreOrLess
02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice write up on a used RR here:

http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/used-vehicle-review-land-rover-range-rover-2003-2009

Canadian Black Book pegs used Range Rover values between $18,425 for a 2003 model and $90,350 for a loaded 2009 Supercharged model with the optional Autobiography and DVD Entertainment packages. Those numbers represent a stunning rate of depreciation that seems reserved for British luxury vehicles; a 2007 Range Rover HSE Š which sold for a shade over $100,000 when it was new Š is worth about $40,500 today. Despite its lower MSRP, the Range Rover Sport isnÕt as much of a bargain as youÕd expect: 2006 and 2007 are worth only marginally less than the Range Rover, and itÕs only in 2008 and 2009 models that its resale values begin to lag significantly behind those of its more expensive sibling.

On the surface, resale values like that make the Range Rover look like a great buy, but these trucksÕ complicated construction and extensive use of electronics make maintenance and repairs very expensive.

My buyer beware mantra is especially important when dealing with a vehicle like the Range Rover. Used values that start at less than $20,000 make this a very attainable vehicle for many drivers who aspire to luxury, but it pays to remember what it costs to keep something this nice on the road. Buy one if you must, but shop carefully for one that comes with proof of meticulous maintenance and that checks out with a trustworthy mechanic Š preferably one who has experience working on these trucks.

clem24
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
So I test drove a 2008 Supercharged Sport today from Crowfoot Hyundai. Again, I hate SUVs but fuck I liked this thing a lot. I think what I most liked about it is the driving position, the seats, how 'cocooned' it felt, and the styling. One surprising thing is that it is much smaller inside than I expected. But for a truck that weighs as much as it does, it accelerates (though slower than I expected), corners, and stops very well. The Brembos felt absolutely fantastic.

So yeah... It's such a nice truck but man... After all these comments, I really don't think I can buy one LOL. But I must say.. After the test drive, I kind of want one more... :love:

mdeleon
02-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Though it may not be a looker, check out a Porsche Cayenne! 2006+

Kloubek
02-22-2012, 12:48 AM
It is really too bad that Porsche didn't make the cayenne look as good as the rest of their lineup... It is such an amazing suv. If it looked as good as the rr, it wouldn't even be a contest IMO.

clem24
02-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
It is such an amazing suv. If it looked as good as the rr, it wouldn't even be a contest IMO.

+1... The current generation Cayenne actually looks quite nice but the older ones are just butt ugly and they have not aged well at all. I have seen their capabilities first hand - at Exotics Racing in Vegas, the instructors drive you around the track (i.e the walkthrough) in a Cayenne GTS. I was amazed at how poised it was, ripping around the track, loaded with 5 guys. Kind of eye opening really (though I am sure the driver is a huge part).

Also, unlike the 911, aren't the Cayennes also notoriously unreliable? Aren't they built in Slovakia?? :rofl:

Anyways, like I said, the Range Rover is about the only SUV that I might have possibly considered. Pretty much all others are off the table cause I just hate them.

Well maybe I should give the X5 a try. Ryan?? :D

colinxx235
02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
^

Yah we ran around trying the RR and all those.
Ended up with a '12 X5 5.0 fully loaded. It is a beast, won't regret it :poosie:

alpha_gangsta
02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Loved my Jag and always wanted a RR but I'm not willing to deal with the crappy dealer and an unreliable vehicle. I've had two Cayenne's (1st gen and 2nd gen) without issue and now am into my second year of diesel X5 ownership. I've actually had more hiccups with the X5 then then both Cayennes but they've been quite minor. I'm currently trying to convince my GF NOT to get a RR Sport...