PDA

View Full Version : AGF Mutual Funds

Sapo
02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Who sells them in Calgary? Called their office and they won't mention names at all. Strange but true. Any thought/advice?
Thanks

Type_S1
02-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Advice - Stay away from mutual funds. :closed:

CMW403
02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Advice - Stay away from mutual funds. :closed:

Care to elaborate?

Feruk
02-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I used to know one of their sales people; she might still have a contact. PM me if you want me to find out. But really... why buy something that can't even match the market performance?

Zewind
02-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Sapo
Who sells them in Calgary? Called their office and they won't mention names at all. Strange but true. Any thought/advice?
Thanks

PM me what you are looking for specifically

Originally posted by Feruk
I used to know one of their sales people; she might still have a contact. PM me if you want me to find out. But really... why buy something that can't even match the market performance?

Poor understanding of mutual funds. :thumbsdow

Sapo
02-15-2012, 04:04 PM
All I want is to switch from one dealer to other without changin/selling funds

Sugarphreak
02-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Zewind
02-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Sapo
All I want is to switch from one dealer to other without changin/selling funds

Ask your dealer if he can do an in-kind transfer of that fund.

ExtraSlow
02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Traditional Mutual funds have thier place, but I'm a much bigger fan of ETFs. They can underperform by around 1.5 annually, and the low cost structure means you'll have the same amount left. Combine that with the fact that many actively managed mutal funds fail to outperform, and it's easy to see why traditional high fee funds are falling out of favour.

max_boost
02-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Traditional Mutual funds have thier place, but I'm a much bigger fan of ETFs. They can underperform by around 1.5 annually, and the low cost structure means you'll have the same amount left. Combine that with the fact that many actively managed mutal funds fail to outperform, and it's easy to see why traditional high fee funds are falling out of favour.

Whatever sector you want to buy in, commodities, companies, indexes, there's an ETF for that. ETF's FTW!

Feruk
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Zewind
Poor understanding of mutual funds. :thumbsdow
How do you figure? :dunno:

Originally posted by max_boost
Whatever sector you want to buy in, commodities, companies, indexes, there's an ETF for that. ETF's FTW!
Disagreed in some cases (but 90% agree with you). If you know very little about a sector and wanna be in it, ETFs are the way to go. However, if you know the sector, you can own a couple of the best companies and outperform the ETF. Perfect example is Canadian banking. I like TD and Scotia, but not CIBC or the insurance crap that's thrown into the Ishares ETF with it. Plus the ETF pays lower dividend. One example where an ETF doesn't make sense.

ExtraSlow
02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Feruk, we're not really comparing and index ETF to owning a basket of well understood stocks. We're comparing ETF's to traditional mutual funds.

I'm 100% with you on the value of picking your own stocks, but that's an hole other ball game, and not suitable for many investors.

Feruk
02-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah I totally agree with you Extraslow. Hence why I said if you don't know the sector, an ETF is the way to go.

As for ETFs vs mutual funds, agreed the ETF is the way to go. I don't think they're directly comparable as one is just the broad sector while the other is "actively managed." But I'm not seeing the benefit of active management if they can't outperform the sector, and most don't. Why pay more for something that does worse? ETFs > mutual funds.