PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Audio Speakers - in ceiling and floor standing

VWEvo
02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
What are the opinions out there on monitor audio in ceiling speakers as well as the floe standing models. My home automation company is highly recommending these speakers throughout my new home as well as for our theater room.

JZS_147
02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
They're going to push whatever they have good margin on, and whatever they carry.

Not that I'm much different lol. I've installed lots of the Definitive UIW stuff, and to me it's the best sounding out of the majority of in wall/ceiling stuff I've heard.

http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/InWall/Default.aspx

Let me know if you want any of it, I can get you good pricing. K&W is a rip off when it comes to Definitive stuff.

ganesh
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo
What are the opinions out there on monitor audio in ceiling speakers as well as the floe standing models. My home automation company is highly recommending these speakers throughout my new home as well as for our theater room.
I have Monitor Audio in my HT room (Fronts are floor standingng and the rears are In wall). Before I purchased I listened to a lot of speakers in the same price range. In my opnion they are one of the good sounding speakers.
What line are you thinking of getting? How much are they quoting you? If you don't want put the numbers in the public send me a PM and I will tell you how much I spent on them.

ZMan2k2
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
When I tested out speakers, I listened to the MA silver line. I found them to be really nice speakers, but a little emphasized on the treble. At least, that was my opinion of them. Construction wise, they are really nice, beefy with plenty of bracing to cut down on unwanted resonance. I could only afford the silver line, but found the Gold line a little better to my ears. Quality wise, MA speakers are really good. Well built and made with quality parts.

Only thing I can say about speakers is that you really need to like them yourself. No one can tell you what you should hear. You'll spend a good chunk of money on them, you damn well should be happy with them. If you're constantly finding listening fatigue from higher volumes, than the speakers aren't right for you. Demo as many as you can, even ones you can't afford, and see if you can find something that fits you. It may be the MA's, for me it was Focal.

JZS_147
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
^ The Focals are pretty nice. My beef with them is the price tag. For what they want for a nice set of mains, you can get something with better imaging for less money.

Zorac
02-16-2012, 01:46 PM
i have a set of monitor audios, silver 9i. alot of the reviews say there a bit cold, but ive never had that issue, but my amp is rather warm sounding which is probably why. i have throughly enjoyed them. ive mostly used them for music, and not in a home theater.

ZMan2k2
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147
^ The Focals are pretty nice. My beef with them is the price tag. For what they want for a nice set of mains, you can get something with better imaging for less money.

I agree the full price is high, but I got a decent deal on my set. As for the imaging, I found it to be great with my Focal's. Not up to B&W Diamond standards, but quite nice for me. Just requires a little work on finding the right toe-in, and the imaging is crisp.

r3ccOs
02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
IMO no real good in-wall/ceiling speakers unless you're really contemplating a custom job of PA style speakers such as M&K or Yorkville Sounds tapped horns

as for floor standers, IMO you got 2 classes

those that play music well
those that play home theatre well

some that cross over, but none that are that great at multi-purpose

IMO, Monitor Audio PL, Paradigm Studios and Sigs, Focal's 700 series and even utopias, and of course those what I'd call very good home theatre speakers, that do music well

but none of their lineup is what I'd call smooth, musical or transparent... they're very visceral, dynamic, articulate but never soulful

great for home theatre

but also good are speakers like Axiom Audio, which are relatively well priced and are truely comparible to the Studio series from paradigm (or very close)

Mirage and Energy also do a good job, especially with the Veritas
the latest Kef stuff I heard is decent, but I haven't had first hand experience

for fine musical speakers, I'm all about Theil, Vienna Acoustics, Martin Logan, ProAc, Harbeth, Morels, Totem, Zu, Coincident, Sonus Faber, and no NOT B&W :)

nothing wrong with B&W, but just not good value for dollar and I don't like their "signature" sound

an exception maybe to the rule is Dynaudio, which seems to make a musical speaker that happens to be durable enough for the rigor's of home theatre

as for Monitor Audio... the Silver Line is very competant and they make a nice sub
it can be shrill for music listening as its not a warm sound, but for HT its excellent
the drivers w/ the phase plugs are the old drivers from the old GR series, just somehow they screwed up the 3rd order crossover on the SR series

VWEvo
02-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Sorry for delayed response I am currently out of the country. Thanks for all the great detailed responses. I was planning on going with the gold series for my Home theater. I definately need to go hear alot of speakers like some ihave suggested. Thanks for the input.

ganesh
02-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Sorry for delayed response I am currently out of the country. Thanks for all the great detailed responses. I was planning on going with the gold series for my Home theater. I definately need to go hear alot of speakers like some ihave suggested. Thanks for the input.
I have the old Gold series. The new gold series comes with ribbon tweeters they are so nice.
What are you going to use to drive them?

VWEvo
02-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes, the new ribbon tweeters are why I'm going with the Gold series, super killer. Havent decided yet on amps yet. Suggestions?

Mitsu3000gt
02-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Yes, the new ribbon tweeters are why I'm going with the Gold series, super killer. Havent decided yet on amps yet. Suggestions?

Unless you've got money to burn I'd just get a good receiver. No need to go separates unless you'll actually be using the power/headroom. It's the best way to go but also more expensive. Check out Emotiva if you want separates.

From a power standpoint I'm a fan of Pioneer Elite, higher end Denon's, and higher end Onkyo's.

I'd also suggest demoing the Paradigm Studio series if you want a speaker that competes with stuff that costs twice as much and is just as good at home theater as it is for critical music listening. Can't say that about every speaker. Monitor Audio is good stuff too though.

msommers
02-19-2012, 06:09 AM
r3ccOs, what kind of setup are you running at home (for music)? You definitely know your gear!

DeeK
02-19-2012, 09:17 AM
If you're looking strictly for monitor type speakers, Genelec or Tannoy only.

r3ccOs
02-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Unless you've got money to burn I'd just get a good receiver. No need to go separates unless you'll actually be using the power/headroom. It's the best way to go but also more expensive. Check out Emotiva if you want separates.

From a power standpoint I'm a fan of Pioneer Elite, higher end Denon's, and higher end Onkyo's.

I'd also suggest demoing the Paradigm Studio series if you want a speaker that competes with stuff that costs twice as much and is just as good at home theater as it is for critical music listening. Can't say that about every speaker. Monitor Audio is good stuff too though.

if you go for MA Gold... even their older GR series with the BR tweeter, I would use some quality power... No they aren't in-effecient speakers, but they are incredibly revealing
yes the Elites, ZX/VSX series yamaha's are sufficient, but IMO they just aren't there... IMO both have power, but sound very cold and sibilent

cambridge is shit for power and doesn't sound good
Sherwood Newcastle sounds very good, but aren't reliable
NAD T757 is basic and sounds very nice and has good power
The Marantz SR6006 series I've also heard, and is nice, powerful and drove even Paradigm Signature's well (may be the best value for dollar)
If you do spend the cake on the GL soup to nuts you may as well have the kit I'd go with A processor from \Anthem, Arcam, Rotel, Lexicon, Simaudio, etc... and buy amplificaiton from Bryston, Pass, etc...

actually thinking about it... I think the Marantz may just be the best intergrated a/v reciver that I've heard

but if you are thinking seperates, the rewards are there and I'd buy a processor that you like and perhaps used amplification from Bryston

ganesh
02-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I won't use a receiver to power them. My suggestion is to go with seperates. - I am using Rotel Seperates and I am happy with it. Like r3ccOs said check out the NAD and Marantz they are also good.
If money is not an issue and if you want quality go with Bryston you will be set for life - Actually 20 Yrs :)

ZMan2k2
02-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I'll agree with r3cc0s and ganesh about the SR6006 from Marantz. I am running one currently, and I really like it. When I was testing out receivers, it really came down to the Marantz and an Anthem MRV500. The room correction software with the Anthem is amazing, and does a really good job for movies, but I found it too "chesty" or too much mid-bass for music in my house. With the Marantz, it gives you the option to run the Audyssey room correction for the Center and rears, and run the mains flat, run all speakers under room correction settings, or run all speakers with minimal room correction. I prefer the minimal correction option, and really like the sound for movies and music.

I switched to the Marantz from an Emotiva processor/amp combo. The Marantz easily has a similar headroom available for my speakers (they aren't hard to drive), and the sound quality is great. I don't miss the Emotiva setup at all. The amp was great, the processor had WAY too many bugs in it.

Mitsu3000gt
02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
My only advice is to listen to whatever speaker system you buy on a good receiver AND separates. If you can't tell a difference, don't pay for separates. Most people I know can't even tell.

Separates are better, but ONLY if you can hear that they are and think it's worth the extra coin. If not it's a waste of money.

As for the people who can hear the difference between BRANDS of separates...my personal bet is they couldn't tell you 10 times in a row which brand is which in a blind test. Never know though, but I'd put money on it.

r3ccOs
02-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
My only advice is to listen to whatever speaker system you buy on a good receiver AND separates. If you can't tell a difference, don't pay for separates. Most people I know can't even tell.

Separates are better, but ONLY if you can hear that they are and think it's worth the extra coin. If not it's a waste of money.

As for the people who can hear the difference between BRANDS of separates...my personal bet is they couldn't tell you 10 times in a row which brand is which in a blind test. Never know though, but I'd put money on it.

oh sir... how you are wrong :D

that being said, it's dependant on how demanding the speakers and the tone that you are attempting to achive...

most people x-over @ 80hrtz... for the sub to overlap, so at the end of the day, a reciever or amp doesn't have to work nearly as hard pushing current at lower resistance (Ohms) which drop low as the frequencies drop

however, if you have identical speakers running all around, using the full range (loud) and you "blend" the subwoofer in, rather than use it to take over

powered appriopiately with a processor and source you enjoy, you will notice a wonderful difference

and yes, there are tons of differneces between power amps... you can go tube, you can go class A, you can go a/b switching with high current, and then there are the brand signatures...

Mitsu3000gt
02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Didn't say there weren't differences, only that I believe 99% of the population couldn't tell you what they are. For the people that can tell, it's worth it, for those who can't, it's not. That's how all home audio works IMO. If I can afford a $2000 speaker, amp, whatever but can't hear with my own ears that is' better than the $1000 equivalent, why pay $2000? That's all I'm getting at.

I'm willing to bet very few people could tell me 10 times in a row which amp was driving a set of speakers if I randomly switched between 2 identical amps of different brands in a blind test. I truly doubt I could get it right every time.

Obviously full separates is better, and I'd have them if I could afford them (Anthem D2v+Anthem amps to be exact), but they aren't the solution for everyone, even if they have the money. Where I live I can't play my system loud enough to see any benefit from separates anyways :cry: .

My suggestion to the OP was simply to make sure he can actually hear/appreciate the difference for himself before going one route or the other, because separates usually end up costing a lot more.

r3ccOs
02-19-2012, 11:19 PM
well though I agree... your same frame of thought can be placed with recievers as well, and though you're right that someone may not be able to recoganize a specific signature or sound to a "Brand"... they probably can tell the difference between the the signatures and the sound that they produce.

Its all a matter of buying something you want.