PDA

View Full Version : Focus RS

Trinzler
02-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Instead, the new RS will get a 2.3-litre four, with turbo, direct injection and balance shafts. This engine is timed to go into the Mustang in around 2014, but a RS Focus will probably get extra boost. The engine will also need to be re-engineered for the Focus's transverse mounting. Ford has now developed active noise cancellation and synthesis for the upcoming Mondeo, so the RS could get a tailored synthetic sound anyway. All that thrust goes to the front wheels. You might wonder, why no Golf R-style 4WD? Well, it's true this platform does have a 4WD derivative, in the form of the next Kuga. But that's a high-riding crossover, and the 4WD system won't fit under a car on a lowered sports chassis without hacking away at the floor. Anyway, Jost Capito, Ford's global hot-car boss, has always said that 4WD adds too much weight for an RS, and that people wouldn't pay extra for it. Our contact says he hasn't changed his mind.

TopGear Source (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-ford-focus-rs-information-2012-02-13?)

No 4wd, downgrading to 2.3 liter. I still can't wait, BRING IT OVER FORD CANADA

schocker
02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Trinzler

TopGear Source (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-ford-focus-rs-information-2012-02-13?)

No 4wd, downgrading to 2.3 liter. I still can't wait, BRING IT OVER FORD CANADA
Hopefully it will bring the cost down then. This car will be awesome just like the last Focus RS

AaronK
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Damn, sounds sexy

heavyD
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Hopefully it will bring the cost down then. This car will be awesome just like the last Focus RS

We are only getting the ST in North America.

schocker
02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Whoops. Damn you ford :guns: :rofl:

heavyD
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Whoops. Damn you ford :guns: :rofl:

Still the ST should be a solid alternative to the GTI, MS3, WRX, etc.

ekguy
02-17-2012, 12:26 AM
whats the reasoning to not bring such a car to north america. Seems ridiculous. Clearly there's a market for it.

Abeo
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
whats the reasoning to not bring such a car to north america. Seems ridiculous. Clearly there's a market for it.

Because it could possibly eat sales of more profitable vehicles. Ford wouldn't think of releasing a hot hatch if it means Mustang sales would suffer.

Eg: Ford killed the Ranger to sell more F150's (and fiestas), even though a superb new Ranger is being sold globally.

rizfarmer
02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

Because it could possibly eat sales of more profitable vehicles. Ford wouldn't think of releasing a hot hatch if it means Mustang sales would suffer.

Eg: Ford killed the Ranger to sell more F150's (and fiestas), even though a superb new Ranger is being sold globally.

:hijack:

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac354/new2teg/2012-ford-ranger-rear-three-quarters.jpg

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_1010_2012_ford_ranger_first_look/index.html

Toyota basically owns this market right now.... understanding this may eat some f-150 sales, I still don't get why they wouldn't bring this unit here and take out the Tacoma. Especially frustrating to a person in the market for this size of truck:banghead:

bart
02-17-2012, 05:01 PM
i doubt the mustang is getting the rs engine, if they do turbo it will probably be the f150 ecoboost if i had to guess

heavyD
02-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by bart
i doubt the mustang is getting the rs engine, if they do turbo it will probably be the f150 ecoboost if i had to guess

The 2015 Mustang will likely get a 2.0-2.3L version of the Focus ST engine.

Trinzler
02-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Source ? I can't really see it being competition towards any of Ford's other cars, I mean it's a performance hatch back not a performance coupe like the Mustang. Hopefully they'll do what VW did with the Golf-R and release it as a limited edition.

94boosted
02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

I don't see a 4 door FWD hot hatchback stealing sales away from the V6 Mustang which is a 2 door pony car :dunno:

If anything the Focus ST & RS would be stealing sales from the MS3 and GTi IMO