PDA

View Full Version : Is Canada losing its title as "Hockey Nation?"

Gorilla
02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I just heard a stat that enrollment in hockey for youth in America is higher then Canada now. Due to

Canada's population growth *0%* ,
Immigrants have not connection to the game
Price of putting a child in hockey has sky rocketed

Another amazing fact. There are more pro teams in Texas then in Canada (even though there was only 5000+ ppl at the flames game)

What are hockey fee's like now a days? And what do you think about the future of hockey in canada.

Gorilla
02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
sorry here is the link

http://www.news1130.com/news/world/article/331966--is-canada-losing-its-title-as-hockey-nation

ExtraSlow
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
USA has 10x the population. I don't think this is really news.

hks
02-17-2012, 01:00 PM
i think it's good for any sport when more people are embracing it, hockey is no exception. a lot of fans complain how hockey isn't given much respect in the US versus basketball, football or baseball. hopefully this helps with that.

p.s just because their enrollment is up doesn't mean they'll produce better players :poosie: :goflames:

dandia89
02-17-2012, 01:00 PM
we need another playoff run so the bandwagon starts up

Gorilla
02-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Anyone know what the cost is to put a kid through 1 year of hockey?

hks
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
depending on age, fees are anywhere from ~400 to thousands per season. plus the cost of equipment.

max_boost
02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Going through NCHL right now and yea, hockey ain't cheap!

I spent about $600 on all my gear (entry level) and the cost is going to be around $1200 to join the team for a season.

I can tell you all my fob cousins here will not be putting their kids through any expensive sport activities. I don't think money is that tight, they are just cheap. If anything, piano, Chinese school, and maybe swimming.

Spoons
02-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I never played hockey as a kid because it was so damn expensive. I was a poor kid going to a rich kid school where every boy pretty well played hockey. It sucked.

For us being "Hockey Nation" they make it pretty damn unattainable for a lot of kids to experience.

vengie
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
My last year of hockey (Midget AAA) fees were about $3000 for the year. This does not include sticks ($250/piece x about 8 a year) etc etc etc... its a HUGE cost.

But it also blows me away when I coach hockey camps to see the gear some of these kids just learning to skate have! its nicer than most of mine! :rofl:

JfuckinC
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by vengie
My last year of hockey (Midget AAA) fees were about $3000 for the year. This does not include sticks ($250/piece x about 8 a year) etc etc etc... its a HUGE cost.

But it also blows me away when I coach hockey camps to see the gear some of these kids just learning to skate have! its nicer than most of mine! :rofl:

LOL 8 sticks a year? thats nuts man. Im 230+ and can hit a cross bar hard from the opposite blue line and never break sticks.......

Asians and brown guys love hockey now haha.. i think they'll bring the numbers up soon! white kids still play mad hockey too, i find it weird when i meet white people that cant skate.......

EDIT: on the gear comment, the asians i know that play all have way sicker gear than me and i've been playing since i could walk :rofl:

Type_S1
02-17-2012, 04:16 PM
To the OP...what a dumb ass thread, that "news" report is ridiculous, just a bunch of opinions. Canada will always be the hockey nation, most people in the US don't even know what hockey is still.

Fee's at communities when I was playing were about $800 a year + tournaments your team goes to

Once you hit AAA fees bumped up to ~$2000 can't really remember.

Add goalie equipment into this which is retarded (my gear probably was ~$4000-5000) and sticks....hockey is soo expensive.