PDA

View Full Version : Canadian government accused of muzzling it's scientists

Freeskier
02-17-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16861468

The Canadian government has been accused of "muzzling" its scientists.

Speakers at a major science meeting being held in Canada said communication of vital research on health and environment issues is being suppressed.

But one Canadian government department approached by the BBC said it held the communication of science as a priority.

Prof Thomas Pedersen, a senior scientist at the University of Victoria, said he believed there was a political motive in some cases.

"The Prime Minister (Stephen Harper) is keen to keep control of the message, I think to ensure that the government won't be embarrassed by scientific findings of its scientists that run counter to sound environmental stewardship," he said.

I suspect the federal government would prefer that its scientists don't discuss research that points out just how serious the climate change challenge is."”

Professor Thomas Pedersen University of Victoria
"I suspect the federal government would prefer that its scientists don't discuss research that points out just how serious the climate change challenge is."

Just shows how paranoid the Harper gov is about dissenting information. Don't know why I'm surprised to be honest.

Sugarphreak
02-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Freeskier
02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
lol nice, but from a science point of view censuring any info is a big deal. It doesn't matter what the data is supporting or not. The climate angle is just the media spinning the story IMO

Sugarphreak
02-17-2012, 06:52 PM

mazdavirgin
02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Really though scientists should be able to say whatever they want, even if they work for the government. The only catch is as long as it isn't said on behalf of the government.

Strawman... Scientist should say what the science has to say. Science is NOT an opinion. If you have the data government be damned you should be able to publish it no matter. Arguing the contrary is inane.

LollerBrader
02-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Strawman... Scientist should say what the science has to say. Science is NOT an opinion.

Spoken like a lay person worshipping at the alter of science.

frizzlefry
02-18-2012, 01:07 AM
The issue with scientists and climate change is that there are too many variables to give a 100% accurate, non-biased, opinion. It’s not like it’s a Schrödinger's cat experiment with a completely accurate and measurable set of a few variables. It's an opinion because it’s based on various theories and evidence that are also up for debate at the moment. So it's a set of data based on a debatable set of data based on data that’s still being debated which is because the founding evidence for that data is incomplete. Hence, opinion. I am not saying climate change is not *our* fault mind you, just that it’s not an A to B to C equation, to many moving parts that are not fully understood to render an accurate conclusion at this time. If scientists were honest, at this time they would not say there is no climate change or that there is or that its our fault etc. They should say "we don't know" but money, grants, funding, social pressure etc can...push them to publish results, results in favour of one or the other. Too soon. Keep in mind....somebody pays them. Someone gives them grants. Thats why they are all on completely opposite sides of the fence. People pay for results...They want. And neither side can disprove the other because there is not enough evidence for ANY conclusion.

Toma
02-18-2012, 05:23 AM
lol :poosie:

msommers
02-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Fixed

Also, being that they are talking to giant news outlets... how are they being muzzled exactly?

BBC Anchor: "Via video feed we are pleased to bring you scientists from Canada"

Scientist in a tie-dye shirt "They are muzzling us, we have no voice, information is not getting to the public!"

BBC Anchor: "So, anything else you'd like to tell our tens of thousands of viewers?"

Scientist in a tie-dye shirt "No, we have no voice... I don't know how we could possibly tell those tens of thousands of people things without the government stepping aside. Nobody will ever know how serious climate change is"

BBC Anchor: "Sorry to hear that, hopefully one day you will figure out how you can reach the public with your important message of doom and gloom"

BBC Anchor: "In other news Europe is having the coldest winter on record ever"

While it COULD be a blip in the grand scheme of things, deep sea current reversal would have drastic climate changes on Europe.

A bit of info on deep sea currents:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101103141541.htm

Censoring of any legitimate scientific findings is absolute horseshit.

Edit: Well this article worked out nicely.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110114155336.htm

Some other stuff I remembered about from class:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermohaline_circulation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

I'm merely suggesting this could be a possible factor, not taking a stand on it.

m10-power
02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Must be true after all science is FACT, odd how so many scientists have different takes on it...Maybe they are all wrong, lets blame the government lol