PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Rice (Singaporean)

trieu
02-18-2012, 04:15 AM
I was just in Singapore last week and had chicken rice while I was there, I loved it. Now I'm back in Calgary and I want to know if there are any places I can get some good chicken rice?
Thanks

Sorath
02-18-2012, 12:42 PM
as good as singapore? probably not. your best bet is calgary court food chains.

trieu
02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Do they have the sauces that come with it?

lilmira
02-18-2012, 01:08 PM
This?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainanese_chicken_rice

Stop dreaming, it won't be near as good as over there. Best chance would be in Vancouver.

Just starve yourself a little, the hunger will make you ignore the difference ;).

dj_rice
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Just buy boiled chicken or soya sauce chicken from T N T or Tong Ky BBQ house, cook some white rice. Eat and pretend its Chicken Rice. Closet your ever gonna come

n1zm0
02-18-2012, 02:55 PM
nah it's possible to make, my mom used to make it lots, the M'sian style one, yellowish rice and everything, just boil the chicken with slightly bruised ginger, garlic and maybe half an onion , reduce some of the extra stock longer - keep the fat, use the reduced separate more concentrated stock to cook the rice. i think she tried the ice water dunk method once that didn't work out too well so just made it the ordinary way.

theres the specific hainanese chicken rice chili paste you can buy (basically its sambal oelek without the heat), lee kum kee brand. the pounded ginger in oil and green onion and salt to taste, also cold cucumber on the side with oyster sauce and the dark soy sauce. well that's how i remember eating it at least, but yeah it'll never come close to S'pore or M'sian style chicken rice, some of the HK shops downtown do a good effort tho.

trieu
02-19-2012, 01:54 AM
I knew it wouldn't compare but I figured I would ask. The soya sauce chicken is way more dry though, it's definitely not the same. Also the sauces that come with the chicken are what makes it so good.

lilmira
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Because of this thread, I decided to make my own tonight lol.

Kosher salt to clean the bird, rinse and let dry;
regular salt to season, in and out;
stuff green onion and ginger inside;
heat 1/2 chicken stock 1/2 water in a pot to boiling and turn down the heat immediately;
put chicken in the stock mix, just enough to cover, put the lid on;
let it cook for a bit over an hour;
check with thermometer;
once done, dunk the bird in cold water, it should firm up immediately, save the stock;
it's ready to serve now, chop it up whenever.

Wash the rice and put it aside;
chop up some garlic;
saute the garlic till golden;
mix in the rice and add the leftover stock;
cook the rice like you normally do;
serve with the chicken, yum.

I also made the green onion/ginger oil dip.

The chicken didn't turn as yellow as I want. I'll try the yellow ginger powder next time to give it more colour. So juicy and tender still, I called it a success.

nj2Type-S
01-06-2013, 04:34 AM
sorry to bump this old thread but i just remembered this thread. i arrived in singapore 3hrs ago. i went to my hotel and walked to the nearest place where i can get chicken rice. i went to tian tian in joo chiat road. i thought i was OK...i dunno lol. maybe i was expecting crazy from all the feedback.

on another note, there are SICK cars here! everywhere i look, there are sweet cars.

lilmira
01-06-2013, 10:25 AM
May be try these places.

http://www.iatemywaythrough.com/blog/2009/10/the-best-hainanese-chicken-rice-in-singapore.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294265-d786065-Reviews-Wee_Nam_Kee_Hainanese_Chicken_Rice-Singapore.html

It should be good if the restaurant is packed with local shady characters lol.

BananaFob
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
sorry to bump this old thread but i just remembered this thread. i arrived in singapore 3hrs ago. i went to my hotel and walked to the nearest place where i can get chicken rice. i went to tian tian in joo chiat road. i thought i was OK...i dunno lol. maybe i was expecting crazy from all the feedback.

on another note, there are SICK cars here! everywhere i look, there are sweet cars.

There's a really good one directly across the street from the Raffles hotel. Don't remember the name but I was just there 2 months ago.

wintonyk
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
i had chicken rice from about 10-15 different hawkers while I was there.

The best was Tian Tian at Maxwell hawker in Chinatown. Different chefs vary slightly in taste. But apparently there was an argument between the owners daughter and the main cook and he left to open his own chicken rice. Expect to wait 10-15 min in a queue if you go during lunch time. Maxwell is the location that Anthony Bourdain goes to in No Reservations.

Best carrot cake (not really carrot cake) is the hawker at Zion Hawker mmm. And laksa at holland village.

bignerd
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

There's a really good one directly across the street from the Raffles hotel. Don't remember the name but I was just there 2 months ago.

So want to go and stay at the Raffles... I was born in Singapore and have not been back as we moved when I was a baby. I have been told lots of stories... hopefully will make it there in the next few years.

Disoblige
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Just buy boiled chicken or soya sauce chicken from T N T or Tong Ky BBQ house, cook some white rice. Eat and pretend its Chicken Rice. Closet your ever gonna come
Haha gross dude, not even close.

You know what makes it so good? The sesame oil. That taste on a chicken is so good. My parents make the best. I dip the chicken in nuoc mam, eat with green onions and shredded ginger on rice. So delightful :D

sputnik
01-08-2013, 07:58 AM
A while back there was a Singaporean restaurant in the Asia Pacific Centre (4th Ave SW @ Centre) food court.

Not sure if it is still there or not.

1barA4
01-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
A while back there was a Singaporean restaurant in the Asia Pacific Centre (4th Ave SW @ Centre) food court.

Not sure if it is still there or not.

Oh, if there is I'd be interested in checking it out.

Despite being Singaporean. And having friends' Singaporean moms make food for me whenever I need hahahaha

v2kai
09-16-2013, 03:52 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/374483/banana-leaf-calgary-32nd-ave-ne/

bump for an old thread.
Finally Calgary has the real chicken rice.:clap:

Sorath
09-22-2013, 11:43 AM
just read this thread.

the best chicken rice in singapore will be by novena mrt station. i forgot the name as its been years since i lived in singapore.

i think the calgary court food chain hainanese chicken rice is better than banana leaf, sorry to disappoint!

The_Rural_Juror
09-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

i think the calgary court food chain hainanese chicken rice is better than banana leaf, sorry to disappoint!

I dislike going to Calgary Court, but agree 100%!

KRyn
04-30-2019, 11:27 AM
Necro bump from the dead!

Any suggestions on where to get some decent hainanese chicken rice in Calgary nowadays?

Sorath
04-30-2019, 05:51 PM
hasnt changed. still calgary court lol

Asian_defender
05-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Banana Leaf in the NE is my go to