PDA

View Full Version : Dog Question: Chihuahua is sick.

R154
02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey animal people(s),

My g/f's Chihuahua is pretty sick and before we take her (the dog, and owner) to the vet/psychologist I thought I would ask a question to you guys who are more knowledgable about dog sicknesses.

The dog in question became ill 24 hours ago; diarhea and vomiting. Her other dog, a bichon shih tzu was sick 2 weeks ago for 3 days with the same symptoms.

The concern is that it might be a virus or a parasite; however, being that the time between these dogs getting sick is a full 2 weeks.

Is there are possility that it might be environmental (something she ate), or is there a dog sickness going around?

Thanks beyond

R154

95EG6P
02-18-2012, 10:42 AM
My Dog was puking for like 2 days and would not eat just lie in bed all day so the vet put him on Iv fluids and when we gOt him home he was on a chicken breast and white rice diet 2 tea spoon of white rice and 2 tea spoon of chicken breast no salt just plain try that first. So when ever my dog pukes like alOt we do that then like the next day he is back to running and chasing other dogs. Hope he gets better

drtoohotty1
02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
There are a lot of factors that can contribute to sickness in animals. Where they go for walks? Shot history? something they may have got into. If it is just puke and liquid poop i would try 95EG6P's method for a bit and if it gets any worse go to the vet. Make sure to monitor the dog often because the tiny breeds have a tendency to go down hill very fast.

R154
02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
The chihuahua is 4 years old, and has had its shots when she was a puppy. She has since not yet had her boosters.

She doesnt go to dog parks nor does she have interaction with other unknown dogs.

She thinks that one of her mum's "friends" might have fed her something like chocolate or candy because her other dog got sick in the same way 2 weeks prior. The person in question has been "known" to dislike dogs/ especially the dog in question which is sick.

We are on our way to a vet at current, and will see what they have to say. Her (the dog) seems to be getting worse, she is shaking and will not eat/drink.

Thank you guys so much for the advice, as I am not a pet owner you guys are awesome!

Wish her luck!

dj_rice
02-18-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a Havenese X Chihuahua mix dog myself and I don't let anybody feed her treats/food unless I approve of it.

But if you think that person tried to poison your dog intentionally with chocolate, wow, find out for sure and confront their ass and drop a elbow on them cause thats not cool.

I wish you luck and hope the dog pulls through and is back to healthy in no time.

R154
02-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Went to Dr. Olynyk in Edgemont. The vet said that that since she was vomiting and had Diarhea that the likelyhood of it being chocolate was very low. He said it wasnt a parasite or a virus, and hinted at the potential that she had ingested a "poison" like a human medication.

She was given 2 medications and wet food. 95EG6P was 100% on the money for food choice, although for now the recommendation was for the wetfood, and if she didnt eat it/wouldnt then to follow chicken/rice boiled 1tablespoon 2x a day.

The vet told us to watch her fluid intake as she was mildly dehydrated but wasnt severe yet. But her condition did need to be monitored fairly astutely.

I can't comment on the "poison" aspect, but I can say my g/f is absurdly attentive towards her dog(s) and her house is immaculate. They are acutely aware of what is laying around, and have never had issues like this with either dog until recently.

Will update as we know more.

+1 for beyond, +1 for edgemont vet.

total bill w/ perscriptions what was paid and food 105$.

zipdoa
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by R154
Hey animal people(s),

My g/f's Chihuahua is pretty sick and before we take her (the dog, and owner) to the vet/psychologist

My Malamute needs a shrink too... any suggestions?

natty54
02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

My Malamute needs a shrink too... any suggestions?

lol reminds of :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNxkTpOVCK4

R154
02-20-2012, 06:39 PM
I meant the psychologist for my g/f lol. I have never seen her get as upset about anything anywhere near as she was about her dog getting sick. I understand, but I thought she would have a mental breakdown should the chihuahua fail to respond to medication/treatment.

With that said, "Project Chihuahua Repair" was a complete success. She is 100% better, dog and gf.