PDA

View Full Version : Looking for unbiased opinions: Honda vs Hyaundai/Kia

FoxTrot
02-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Anyone drive a Kia or know of anyone? Having owned 3 hondas in my life, and knowing that Hondas have taken a dip in the past few years in terms of quality, and Hyaundai/Kia has been one of the fastest growing soaring companies in that time. First off, does Hyandai own Kia? So a Kia is basically made from a Hyaundai plant with their quality?

Just not into the new Hondas, tested in the 8th and 9th gens and they feel so cheap the interior and doesnt feel like the older civics. The 2011 and 2012 civics i really dont like the look of them.

How is the Kia cars these days compared to Honda? I went to test out a Kia forte and seemed pretty good but im so new to this brand that i dont know how they stack up to honda in the long run.

Im looking at long term reliability on this car and maintenance. I dont know how many kms Kia engines run for, but I know that Hondas last 400k km minimum, even going half a million plus is not unheard of. Also Hondas are very easy to work on and easy to find parts. I dont know the long term reliability of Kias so its new to me. Also resale value as well.

CanmoreOrLess
02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
The Korean cars are cleaning up on awards and reviews. As an owner of three Hondas (all trouble free), including my current vehicle (108K and trouble free), all this is starting to have me looking at these "new" Korean brands. Something about the exterior is off putting though, I cannot place the reason, it is just that they really are not right in my eyes. Maybe the 2013 models will be better?

I am not liking anything in the Honda line up at the moment, this is a first in many years. The current vehicles I like (BMW, AUDI, etc) are all iffy off warranty, a real rub. Buy with the brain (zzzz) or the heart ($$$)?

DboyNismo
02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Im pretty sure Kia owns Hyundai or the other way around. I don't know about their quality or anything.

triplep
02-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I have to say as a Honda family, the new Hondas are going to shit. So much electrical and the quality of craftsmanship is no longer there. The body designs are CRAP especially the new accords, the CRV looks kinda nice, but it is so bad that they are redesigning the new civic which they released a few years ago. I would wait and see what the new Civics will look like.

As per your comment, about honda engines lasting 400k, mine only lasted over 100k, before I had to replace it not under warranty.

I have to say, from an aesthetic point of view, the new kia's and hyundais are hands down way nicer looking then the new hondas.

I really like the look of the new sonata, just looks sick. It is like all the designers that used to work for honda just up and left to other manufactures. I know in the states, hyundai offers a 10 year warranty on their cars, and unfortunately I don't think they offer them here.

A790
02-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by FoxTrot
Anyone drive a Kia or know of anyone? Having owned 3 hondas in my life, and knowing that Hondas have taken a dip in the past few years in terms of quality, and Hyaundai/Kia has been one of the fastest growing soaring companies in that time. First off, does Hyandai own Kia? So a Kia is basically made from a Hyaundai plant with their quality?

Just not into the new Hondas, tested in the 8th and 9th gens and they feel so cheap the interior and doesnt feel like the older civics. The 2011 and 2012 civics i really dont like the look of them.

How is the Kia cars these days compared to Honda? I went to test out a Kia forte and seemed pretty good but im so new to this brand that i dont know how they stack up to honda in the long run.

Im looking at long term reliability on this car and maintenance. I dont know how many kms Kia engines run for, but I know that Hondas last 400k km minimum, even going half a million plus is not unheard of. Also Hondas are very easy to work on and easy to find parts. I dont know the long term reliability of Kias so its new to me. Also resale value as well.
I had a 2010 Kia Forte SX for two years. Never let me down, no issues outside of regular maintenance. I traded it in at 35k. I now have a 2012 Kia Optima SX.

Hyundai owns 33% of Kia. Many of their cars interchange parts.

Long term reliability... that has yet to be seen. I don't anticipate major issues, but then again, who does?

tirebob
02-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I have owned multiple Honda products and 2 Kia's... I think the Kia is good value for the price you pay and I had only small issues with mine, but I have no regrets at all about buying my 2011 Accord V6 EX-L and while the gap is definitely closing, I would not say they are quite up to the level of Hondas yet...

I personally love the styling of the new Accord (I went white with the ivory interior) and the power/fuel economy ratio is really great! At 271hp, I regularly get well over 600kms on 70 liters of regular gas in town, and over 800km's on the highway, which is amazing! Granted I don't beat my cars, but the power is there when you need it without a doubt. The handling is great and ride quality awesome. I really find the interior ergonomics to be exceptional. I am 6-1 and with drivers seat all the way back, I can still sit in the back without my legs being squished. The sounds system in the EX-L sounds great too. The trunk has way more room than I expected also.

So far not a single issue I can pick on...

CanmoreOrLess
02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I have owned multiple Honda products and 2 Kia's... I think the Kia is good value for the price you pay and I had only small issues with mine, but I have no regrets at all about buying my 2011 Accord V6 EX-L and while the gap is definitely closing, I would not say they are quite up to the level of Hondas yet...

I personally love the styling of the new Accord (I went white with the ivory interior) and the power/fuel economy ratio is really great! At 271hp, I regularly get well over 600kms on 70 liters of regular gas in town, and over 800km's on the highway, which is amazing! Granted I don't beat my cars, but the power is there when you need it without a doubt. The handling is great and ride quality awesome. I really find the interior ergonomics to be exceptional. I am 6-1 and with drivers seat all the way back, I can still sit in the back without my legs being squished. The sounds system in the EX-L sounds great too. The trunk has way more room than I expected also.

So far not a single issue I can pick on...

What about highway road noise? What is your experience? I've read some owners find road noise to be an issue (shock gasp in a Honda).

FoxTrot
02-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by A790

I had a 2010 Kia Forte SX for two years. Never let me down, no issues outside of regular maintenance. I traded it in at 35k. I now have a 2012 Kia Optima SX.

Hyundai owns 33% of Kia. Many of their cars interchange parts.

Long term reliability... that has yet to be seen. I don't anticipate major issues, but then again, who does?

Only thing that worries me on Kias is the reliability long term which not many will know. Is the thing gonna still run as well in 6, 7 years? am i still gonna be able to get good resale value?

From what ive been told resale value on Kia/Hyd is suppose to be crap.

I was lookign at the new Honda CRZ in white. Really nice looking car, dont mind it being a 2 seater. Not many reviews on it online.

http://lundgrenhonda.com/media/models/15/2011-Honda-CR-Z%20Exterior-Premium-White-Pearl.jpg

Kloubek
02-20-2012, 07:59 PM
You're certainly paying a premium to buy Honda. And while long-term information isn't really available for Kia/Hyundai, short term results are just as good if not better than Honda. Even longer term of their vehicles which are only a few years old has shown very good reliability. My wife has had her 08 Accent for a couple of years now with zero problems. The owner prior also had zero issues.

So really, it comes down to why *would* you pay more to buy a Honda? Well, some people can't get over the budget and previously poor quality of the Korean nameplates. But in terms of looks, amenities, price, and usually performance, I think they trump Honda now.

A790: Didn't realize you now have the Optima. Like it more than the Forte? It is a pretty nicely styled car and apparently had some good reviews...

InRich
02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I would personally buy a Hyundai over a Honda any day nowadays... and I LOVED my accord... i find the styling of the HOnda's trash now... theres no innovation. the cars are ugly as sin, and we've been telling them this for the past 5 years. and still their garbage looking. give your money to someone that deserves it.

A790
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
A790: Didn't realize you now have the Optima. Like it more than the Forte? It is a pretty nicely styled car and apparently had some good reviews...
The Forte was a good economy car, but my needs changed and I needed something that was a bit more substantial. The Optima has got 275hp from its turbo, lots of room, and is loaded to the gills.

So far I'm smitten with it :)

max_boost
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM

The Forte was a good economy car, but my needs changed and I needed something that was a bit more substantial. The Optima has got 275hp from its turbo, lots of room, and is loaded to the gills.

So far I'm smitten with it :) Nice car for sure. My buddy has one and I'm quite impressed with it.

Xtrema
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM

So far I'm smitten with it :)

I sat in the base trim and though the quality of material is better than Honda/Toyota. Fit and finish still has some misses but you have to really nit pick to found them.

sneek
02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I've had a few Forte rentals and for the most part the car is pretty nice. The biggest annoyance is that the sound system sounds worse than a $5 boombox from Walmart.

I am a pretty big Honda fanatic myself, but the new Korean cars are catching my attention. I personally love the look of the new Optima, but I can't justify pulling the trigger on one due to the horrible resale value on Korean cars.

whiskas
02-21-2012, 12:16 PM
One benefit to having a Honda is the resale value and depreciation is significantly better vs. a Hyundai.

Kloubek
02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
^ True. But in the past, Honda resale was inflated because it was Honda, and Hyundai/Kia was reduced because it was Hyundai. Now that the tables have turned, will this continue to be the trend? Who knows...

speedog
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Who owns who - it's a messed up world, link (http://www.toomanycars.info/CarRelationship/Car_Rel-Image2.html) to a web site that's trying to make sense of it all.

heavyD
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
One benefit to having a Honda is the resale value and depreciation is significantly better vs. a Hyundai.

Yeah but you pay more upfront for an equally equipped Honda so it's a wash which brings me to another Honda criticism; Many of their fully loaded models lack a lot of high tech features and creature comforts you can get with other manufacturers like Fords and Hyundai.

Skrilla
02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Not a personal opinion, but my neighbour has one of the new Optima models and he speaks very highly of the car, and this is his 3rd KIA product. Plus the car looks baller, something that can't really be said of the new Honda lineup :dunno:

I have heard people complain about some of the first KIA products like the Rio, but I think they have come along way. As for Hyundai, well they are making some very impressive cars now.

max_boost
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Most impressive thing about the Optima aside from its sharp looks is in the interior space. I sat in the back seat and was thinking wow, so spacious! So much head and leg room. :nut:

Sugarphreak
02-21-2012, 01:47 PM

heavyD
02-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Most impressive thing about the Optima aside from its sharp looks is in the interior space. I sat in the back seat and was thinking wow, so spacious! So much head and leg room. :nut:

The only thing the Koreans haven't nailed down is handling but damn a loaded Optima SX interior is pretty stunning for it's price range. I would have no problems buying one ....... for my wife of course.:)

heavyD
02-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Ordered my first Honda in 07', despite it being relatively simple and not full of gimmicks, I was blown away by the quality and craftmanship over every other car I've ever owned. None of the clips for the visors broke, nothing malfunctioned, no leaks, no strange noises or clunks, it seemed to run like swiss clockwork.

Two years later I bought a second vehicle, a premium 09' GM... which was a total lemon in terms of reliability. The thing makes more strange noises than a dying bird. I am a subscriber to Onstar, not because I want to be... but because the odds I will break down on a any kind of road trip are about 1 in 4.

Flash forward to today, I own an 11' Honda and it has the same level of quality as my 07' did. I can't even imagine have a DD that is anything other than a Honda... just not worth it to buy something comparable for a few thousand less and have it break down all the time.

This year I am replacing my mom's POS Dodge SX2.0 with my 11' (mainly because when it breaks down every couple of months I get the call) and in place of that I am getting, you guessed it... more than likely another Honda.

Kia/Hyundai is just another Ford IMO... hit or miss quality, and frankly not that cheap anymore either.

Nobody's ever doubted Honda's ability to build a great appliance. Problem is they are just that and these days there are much more compelling cars out there that have more personality, bells & whistles. Besides Hondas still have issues no matter what the fanboys would have you believe. The guy next to me has taken in his 2007 Civic for more warranty work than my Mustang and EVO combined (which was never) and when we had that really cold spell in January the only vehicle that couldn't start was a 2011 Ridgeline.

tirebob
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

What about highway road noise? What is your experience? I've read some owners find road noise to be an issue (shock gasp in a Honda). No issue that I have noticed at all... I can honestly say this is the most pleased I have been with a car ever...

Xtrema
02-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Skrilla
I have heard people complain about some of the first KIA products like the Rio, but I think they have come along way. As for Hyundai, well they are making some very impressive cars now.

According MT, the new Rio is still shit even when it's cousin Accent took the top ranking.

Originally posted by speedog
Who owns who - it's a messed up world, link (http://www.toomanycars.info/CarRelationship/Car_Rel-Image2.html) to a web site that's trying to make sense of it all.

I think Hyundai owns 1/3 of Kia.

Mibz
02-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
According MT, the new Rio is still shit even when it's cousin Accent took the top ranking. Depends what you're talking about. I had a '10 or '11 Rio as a rental and, in terms of bells and whistles, it was really well equipped. It drove -way- better than a Versa too. Obviously we're talking about $15,000 cars here so nothing was truly mind-blowing but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's shit.

Xtrema
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Depends what you're talking about. I had a '10 or '11 Rio as a rental and, in terms of bells and whistles, it was really well equipped. It drove -way- better than a Versa too. Obviously we're talking about $15,000 cars here so nothing was truly mind-blowing but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's shit.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1204_economy_five_door_hatchback_comparison/

2012 model. Ranked 7 out of 7 behind Suzuki SX4. They got a hate on for the Rio.

Sorath
02-21-2012, 06:46 PM
korean automakers are definately doing stuff in the right direction. They make an attractive product and you almost cant compete with the price. However there is one thing that they wont have for awhile. That is resale value.

Weapon_R
02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Nothing wrong with Kia/Hyundai unless resale value is a serious consideration for you. This is especially the case if you are buying new as the Koreans have a pretty good warranty.

Off warranty, I'm still on the fence. I rented a Kia spectra a couple years ago and really liked it. When we asked the guys who work at the rental agency, they told me that Hyundai and Kia have the most transmission problems of any vehicle in their fleet. Not sure how much emphasis I'd place on their statements but they have more firsthand knowledge than I do about the situation.

FoxTrot
02-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Drove a 2011 Mits Lancer today, seemed alright, lots room. How do you guys think Mits Lancers compare? Are they good cars? I know a few people who have told me to stay away from them. Apparently theyre hard to work on, its more of a speciality brand and not very reliable.

I have my eyes on the genesis coupe though, such a nice car. I might be the only one who thinks sitting next to an 8th gen civic, it puts it to shame. it really has taken its design to a new level. Even the 4dr elantras look much better than the 4dr civic sedans.

Sugarphreak
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM

CanmoreOrLess
02-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Drove a 2011 Mits Lancer today, seemed alright, lots room. How do you guys think Mits Lancers compare? Are they good cars? I know a few people who have told me to stay away from them. Apparently theyre hard to work on, its more of a speciality brand and not very reliable.

I have my eyes on the genesis coupe though, such a nice car. I might be the only one who thinks sitting next to an 8th gen civic, it puts it to shame. it really has taken its design to a new level. Even the 4dr elantras look much better than the 4dr civic sedans.

The major thing that keeps me away from Mits is the fact dealers are so rare outside major cities in the USA and Canada. They are turning into a minor maker for NA, sad to say as they have a few very nice vehicles, I only wish they were a part of say Mazda, Honda, etc.

corsvette
02-21-2012, 10:07 PM

Though Honda is getting fire now for its cautious redesign of the 8th gen Civic, it will still look good 5+ years from now. Look at most german cars, their designs are mostly clean and conservative and age very well. I think this is why Honda's redesigns are very evolutionary, it will not become out of style fast like the more radical styling of cars like the Elantra.

FoxTrot
02-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

Though Honda is getting fire now for its cautious redesign of the 8th gen Civic, it will still look good 5+ years from now. Look at most german cars, their designs are mostly clean and conservative and age very well. I think this is why Honda's redesigns are very evolutionary, it will not become out of style fast like the more radical styling of cars like the Elantra.

I think the elantra is a very nice car esp the 2 dr. Very futurisitc.

The only thing about the genesis though is, its not gonna be cheap to drive. I hear it has high insurance, probably double of a civic, if thats the case thats a deal breaker for me.

Pllus it needs premium fuel. Plus its RWD. Ive never driven a RWD before in winters but i hear its not fun.

Monthly payments + high insurance + premium fuel. Not gonna be cheap.

Xtrema
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

The major thing that keeps me away from Mits is the fact dealers are so rare outside major cities in the USA and Canada. They are turning into a minor maker for NA, sad to say as they have a few very nice vehicles, I only wish they were a part of say Mazda, Honda, etc.

I won't count on Mazda being around for long. I think they are in worse shape than Mitsubishi. They need to find a new dancing partner soon after Ford dropped them.

nobb
02-21-2012, 11:42 PM

The only thing about the genesis though is, its not gonna be cheap to drive. I hear it has high insurance, probably double of a civic, if thats the case thats a deal breaker for me.

Pllus it needs premium fuel. Plus its RWD. Ive never driven a RWD before in winters but i hear its not fun.

Monthly payments + high insurance + premium fuel. Not gonna be cheap.

Uhhh I think you have your facts wrong. Depending on the insurance company, the Genesis Coupe can actually be cheaper than many smaller cars like the Mazda 3. Reason being is that since it's a fairly uncommon car, there are not many statistics on it. I am 23 and paying $182/month for insurance (with APEGGA discount) on my Genesis...which isnt too far off from what an econobox would be.

The Genesis Coupe is rated for 87 fuel, even though it has a turbo. You can run premium on it and the ECU will tune itself for it...giving approx +10HP.

Winter isnt really that big of a deal as long as you have winter tires. The traction control actually does a pretty good job.

FoxTrot
02-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by nobb

Uhhh I think you have your facts wrong. Depending on the insurance company, the Genesis Coupe can actually be cheaper than many smaller cars like the Mazda 3. Reason being is that since it's a fairly uncommon car, there are not many statistics on it. I am 23 and paying $182/month for insurance (with APEGGA discount) on my Genesis...which isnt too far off from what an econobox would be.

The Genesis Coupe is rated for 87 fuel, even though it has a turbo. You can run premium on it and the ECU will tune itself for it...giving approx +10HP.

Winter isnt really that big of a deal as long as you have winter tires. The traction control actually does a pretty good job.

So all in all If maintened, do you think a genesis post 2010 would last as long as a civic?

Would you have faith buying a slighlly used one from a dealer? CAuse used doesnt come with the 10yr warranty.

Only reason why id want dealer warranty is for any defects or huge repairs like bushings, ball joints, engine or trans problems if i run into them. Everything maintenance wise id do outside.

heavyD
02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I won't count on Mazda being around for long. I think they are in worse shape than Mitsubishi. They need to find a new dancing partner soon after Ford dropped them.

Yep. A fact lost on a lot of North Americans is that Mitsubishi & Suzuki sell more cars worldwide than Mazda. Now the Mazda 6 is defunct do to poor sales they are really tied in with the Mazda 3 to keep them afloat. The last two generations have been a good run for the Mazda 3 but history tells us that in the automotive industry what goes up will come down and a down cylcle of the Mazda 3 could possibly spell the end of Mazda. That said I believe another automaker would buy up controlling shares before they went out of business.

A790
02-22-2012, 10:07 AM

So all in all If maintened, do you think a genesis post 2010 would last as long as a civic?

Would you have faith buying a slighlly used one from a dealer? CAuse used doesnt come with the 10yr warranty.

Only reason why id want dealer warranty is for any defects or huge repairs like bushings, ball joints, engine or trans problems if i run into them. Everything maintenance wise id do outside.
I'd buy a 2010 Gen Coupe. Why not?

You're asking questions that nobody is going to have the answer to. That being said, there are many people in the Gen Coupe community that have beat the snot out of their cars and it keeps on going... don't forget that it's using the 2L world engine shared by Hyundai/Kia, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler. These cars have solid foundations on them and should be good in regards to long-term reliability.

The only issue that remains for Korean cars is resale value, and if you intend on keeping it for 5+ years, that really shouldn't matter much anyway.

ercchry
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
i was looking at the 2011 gen coupe, got the mustang instead. why? uhh... 305hp and $5k less and factory LSD :nut:

not to mention the new V6 is still in the same category as the old 4cyl and V6. i pay less for insurance than the woman does on her elantra

Bassemz
02-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Had a new 2004 Civic for 5 years, great car, fun to drive but not very good value for money. Had a 1995 Integra with 250K on it, put 25K over a year and had no problems starting @ 40 below without a block heater. Had a 2008 Impreza for three years, fun to drive, cheap plastic dash and trim, bad paint and creeking sounds by 70K. Currently driving a 2005 Elantra hatchback, not the most fun to drive car but lots of space and good quality surfaces to touch on the inside, it has 127K now without issues. All those car were 5 speed manual. Hondas are more fun to drive and make good engine sounds, Hyundais are better bang for you buck.

nobb
02-22-2012, 08:32 PM

I think the Canadian Genesis Coupe only comes with 5 years warranty.

As for reliability...the Genesis is too new of a vehicle to comment on. There are little nice little touches that I like, such as the location of the oil filter or the amount of rust prevention done by the factory on my Genesis (as compared to our Mazda or Ford). To be honest, turbo engines still scare me. More moving parts = more things to break

The 2.0T is a great little engine. My only complaint would be the transmission. I would not buy a 2010 or older Genesis Coupe as they are known for its transmission grind issues. I believe it's fixed for 2011, but the transmission is still notchy with short throws. Even though it's a 6 speed...youre still doing 3k rpm @ 100 kph....which is bad for fuel economy.

FoxTrot
02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by nobb

I think the Canadian Genesis Coupe only comes with 5 years warranty.

As for reliability...the Genesis is too new of a vehicle to comment on. There are little nice little touches that I like, such as the location of the oil filter or the amount of rust prevention done by the factory on my Genesis (as compared to our Mazda or Ford). To be honest, turbo engines still scare me. More moving parts = more things to break

The 2.0T is a great little engine. My only complaint would be the transmission. I would not buy a 2010 or older Genesis Coupe as they are known for its transmission grind issues. I believe it's fixed for 2011, but the transmission is still notchy with short throws. Even though it's a 6 speed...youre still doing 3k rpm @ 100 kph....which is bad for fuel economy.

Oh 2010 gen coupe has trans issues? MT that is right? Oh man, if the grind issues are true then that very well could be a deal breaker for me. And good point about the turbo. Frankly i dont care about turbos on the car, i just want the thing to be reliable for years.

Well im still deciding between the gen coupe and a 2011 mits lancer. Lancer is auto though and has no sunroof. But the blue is so nice. And its about 6k cheaper. thats the biggest pro of the lancer. And i love the room inside, there is a lot!

Been trying to find reviews for the 2011 lancer online but theres nothing. This car must not be selling well.

heavyD
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Oh 2010 gen coupe has trans issues? MT that is right? Oh man, if the grind issues are true then that very well could be a deal breaker for me. And good point about the turbo. Frankly i dont care about turbos on the car, i just want the thing to be reliable for years.

Well im still deciding between the gen coupe and a 2011 mits lancer. Lancer is auto though and has no sunroof. But the blue is so nice. And its about 6k cheaper. thats the biggest pro of the lancer. And i love the room inside, there is a lot!

Been trying to find reviews for the 2011 lancer online but theres nothing. This car must not be selling well.

One thing I really miss about going from EVO X to Mustang is the interior room of the Lancer. It's a big car inside. Lancer sells well for Mitsubishi and it's a pretty solid car. I don't think you need to worry about reliability as Mitsubishi powertrains are pretty bulletproof.

FoxTrot
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

as Mitsubishi powertrains are pretty bulletproof.

Are they? You mean auto trans right? Or the manual? Lancer i want (think its the GTS) is only in AT.

Did some research last night on the 2010 Gen coup MT grind issues and im really on the fence now getting it, i dont think i will.

And i kinda want a 4dr having owned nothing but coupesi n my life. So im looking at the elantra sedan and mits lancer sedan. The lancer is only in Auto but the elantra can get in MT which i mcuh prefer but if the lancer is a better car and has a bulletproof auto trans then ill consider it. Plus its cheaper.

ercchry
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
doesnt mits offer a 10 year warranty?

Royle9
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I've actually driven both the Lancer and Genesis quite extensively and would definitely give the Genesis the upper edge all around even with Mitsu's warranty coverage and greater amount of room all around.

Like noob said it really is a fun car to drive, the only downside I would say is the gas (depending on how you drive it) full tank of premium runs about $70 or so atm and lasts me about 1.5 weeks or about 450kms in the city. Highway it's probably about 600km. Price point is fair, and you have quite a bit of wiggle room when negotiating new, I managed to get a good price and free oil changes for 6 years with all the various packages thrown in as well.

I haven't checked the price comparison between a 2011 Lancer GTS vs Genesis Coupe 2.0T but you get what you pay for. Really depends on what you are looking for.

**Not sure about the Grinding as mine is a 11, but I'm about 12.5k into the car with no issues thus far**

FoxTrot
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
doesnt mits offer a 10 year warranty?
Not sure but i hear its only on new cars as the warranty isnt transsferable. :confused:

Royle9
02-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Not sure but i hear its only on new cars as the warranty isnt transsferable. :confused:

I bought my 08 (used) in 09 from Platinum and was told the warranty transferred :dunno: never had any major issues so I can't confirm.

heavyD
02-23-2012, 03:41 PM

Are they? You mean auto trans right? Or the manual? Lancer i want (think its the GTS) is only in AT.

Did some research last night on the 2010 Gen coup MT grind issues and im really on the fence now getting it, i dont think i will.

And i kinda want a 4dr having owned nothing but coupesi n my life. So im looking at the elantra sedan and mits lancer sedan. The lancer is only in Auto but the elantra can get in MT which i mcuh prefer but if the lancer is a better car and has a bulletproof auto trans then ill consider it. Plus its cheaper.

My wife has had zero issues with the 6-speed auto in her 2007 Outlander but I believe the Lancer comes with CVT and I'll admit I don't have much experience with CVT's or knowledge of how reliable they are in general. I see that Nissan has had some issues with them but in general CVT's seem to be pretty reliable as they are simpler in design than a regular torque converter automatic or twin-clutch automatic.

FoxTrot
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

My wife has had zero issues with the 6-speed auto in her 2007 Outlander but I believe the Lancer comes with CVT and I'll admit I don't have much experience with CVT's or knowledge of how reliable they are in general. I see that Nissan has had some issues with them but in general CVT's seem to be pretty reliable as they are simpler in design than a regular torque converter automatic or twin-clutch automatic. \

CVT auto trans is a hybrid correct?

Also, before purhcasing a car from the dealer, would you have enough faith in their inspections to not warrant you having another one on your own?

403Gemini
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
I remember being at a red light and seeing an optima next to me for the first time, and I honestly couldnt stop looking at it and thinking "Seriously? thats a Kia?!"

http://strumors.automobilemag.com/files/2010/12/2011-kia-optima-sx-623x389.jpg

The cars are absolutely gorgeous

Redlined_8000
02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
^^ ya that Kia does look really nice!

Well my 2c for what its worth.

My dad has a 2006 hyundai sonata with 155,xxxkms. It has factory brakes, tranny, engine, factory everything except for a sparkplug change. The car drives pretty much flawlessly.

Hyundai/Kia are stepping up their game big. The only problem for now is re-sale value. But the cars themselfs are great.

And 2013 Hyundai Velositer will have that 200hp 1.6L turbo, which is impressive as well as the Genesis Coupe 2.0t 274hp.

FoxTrot
02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
well change of plans financing didnt go through so im thinking about leasing it instead. Since the car would have to be brand new on lease, out goes the genesis.

A friend of mine is telling me right now not to lease and id be making a huge mistake. Any insight?

Id lease it for 5-7yrs, the way i see its pretty much a long term test drive. Dont have to worry about selling it, just return it and get new car. Easy as pie.

Only thing is i dont know what dealers now give you as KM limit every year. I drive 15k a year so as long as its min 30k annually that be good. Just in case i wanna travel long distance which i will.

ercchry
02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
if you have to lease for 5-7 years to afford it... you cant afford it

FoxTrot
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
if you have to lease for 5-7 years to afford it... you cant afford it

Well mainly cause i like to keep my cars for awhile and hold onto them for at least 5 years. I could do a 5 yr lease thats the min id want. But monthly payments would be through the roof and interest is too.

Mtn Tow
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Phatdhad
02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I own a 2010 Genesis coupe.....and I love it.
the 5th gear grind was taken care of by putting better gear oil in. My car never had the 5th gear grind but I upgraded the oil anyways. the 2011+ cars did not really have any issues with the gear grind.
I beat on my car, its modded and in the summer I drive it extensively......its one of the most reliable modded cars I have ever owned.

I also own a 2008 Mitsu Lancer GTS. Its a great car, reliable, but boring as hell to drive.... it makes a great winter beater :)

kevie88
02-23-2012, 10:43 PM
We just bought a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited (non turbo), and the car is fantastic. It runs great, makes very good power for a four cylinder, and gets ridiculous gas mileage compared to what I'm used to with my STI. The fit and finish is great, and the creature comforts can't be beat.

No pay for 90 days, and 0% for 84 months really helped make the decision too!

This from a former Honda fanboy..

grwnded
02-24-2012, 11:13 AM
My wife drives an 07 sonata v6 that we bought new. She has over 170k on it now and it's been trouble free the whole time. The only thing I used the warranty for was a rattle in the front passenger seat. That took all of 20 minutes to fix. No issues. Not so much as a fuse has needed replacement short of the usual items like tires and headlight bulbs. And I raced a guy in his 5 series and beat him with it so that's a plus too.

I'd highly recommend Hyundai to anyone.

relyt92
02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
My dad drives an 09 Sonata with 95k on it, also has never had anything go wrong other than regular maintenance stuff. Car is quiet and nicely set up also.

corsvette
02-25-2012, 02:49 PM
An interesting read from Car & Driver. Hyundai/Kia make decent cars, but not class leading cars.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/aaron-robinson-can-we-please-get-a-little-more-honda-and-mazda-out-of-hyundai-column

CHICHARITZHI
02-25-2012, 09:53 PM
best honda > 2008 up honda accord v6 coupe black

best hyundai > 2011 up genesis v6 coupe black

best kia > i don't know yet

A790
02-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by CHICHARITZHI
best kia > i don't know yet

2011+ Optima SX is the best Kia right now.

CHICHARITZHI
02-26-2012, 10:56 AM

2011+ Optima SX is the best Kia right now.

OK I found the coupe but the wheel designer needs to be fired..

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/08/2011-frankfurt-auto-show-rear-drive-kia-concept-to-debut-in-frankfurt.html

Mtn Tow
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM

A790
02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mtn Tow
http://www.qr77.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1660576
Relevant... why?

A790
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I remember being at a red light and seeing an optima next to me for the first time, and I honestly couldnt stop looking at it and thinking "Seriously? thats a Kia?!"

http://strumors.automobilemag.com/files/2010/12/2011-kia-optima-sx-623x389.jpg

The cars are absolutely gorgeous
I agree.

Here's mine:
http://i.imgur.com/tJlwr.jpg

CUG
02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I vote Honda. They've been quality for much longer than Kia/Hyundai, and you're not associating with a bottom of the barrel name brand. (Other than A790's car). There's a guy on my street that has 500,000km on his honda and it's not quitting any time soon.

A790
02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I vote Honda. They've been quality for much longer than Kia/Hyundai, and you're not associating with a bottom of the barrel name brand. (Other than A790's car). There's a guy on my street that has 500,000km on his honda and it's not quitting any time soon.
Agreed. Hyundai/Kia have wrote a few cheques that only time will tell if they can actually cash...