PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram R/T?

Ford_H8ter
02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Currently in the market for a new truck. The Dodge Ram R/T has really sparked my interests, but havent heard too much in terms of reviews on them.

To me it is the ultimate sport truck, coming standard with 22" forged rims, the 5.7 Hemi, and a 4.10 rear end in it for the get up and go a sport truck is supposed to have.

Any opinions on these? Seems like it would be a fun truck that looks slick, only issue ive seen so far is that no one stocks any reg. cab dodge's, let alone the R/T model...

s dime
02-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Try a new ford F150. The 5.0 is a beast!

..*JDM Hatch*..
02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I was in the market for a truck back in november, i tried out the ram RT, i liked it, but something was just off. then i wondered around and looked at the F150. i never was a ford guy in my life. but now after having my F150,i'll never buy anything else. But it's all persnal opinion's of vehicals. i would pick what ever truck YOU liked. it comes down to the fact that you are paying for it. get what you want. not what other people tell you to get. 99% of Beyonds opinions are all biased.

Shlade
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
you guys noticed his name? Why would you suggest a ford product to him then haha

Ford_H8ter
02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Appreciate the honest reply JDM, i have yet to check out the fords yet, dont mind the user name, may make me seem biased, but its an old name from young days to spite an uncle (just to clarify), so i havent ruled out the Ford yet. (should really change that name lol)

this weekend is the start of the real shopping. gotta check both a reg cab ram, i am familiar with the crew? cab ram as my dad has one, i like the fit and finish in it and it seems like a solid ride, granted its not the same as the R/T.

I like the look of the ford, and the super cab is nice, but its not really the same truck as what the R/T is from what ive seen and read. Comparing a "truck" truck to a sport truck i guess you could say. Like i said, just looking for some insight on the R/T as they are a somewhat rarer truck it appears

AE92_TreunoSC
02-21-2012, 08:43 PM
The gearing will molest your wallet. Think long and hard before you buy that truck.

I'd sooner have a loaded quad cab, or a cloth diesel.

Eleanor
02-22-2012, 08:49 AM
^ can't get a diesel in the 1/2 ton :(

Masked Bandit
02-22-2012, 08:51 AM
If you're looking for a sportier truck you may want to have a look at the F150 Raptor. Monster of a motor but damn thirsty at the gas pump. It seems like most of the guys that buy them REALLY like them.

ExtraSlow
02-22-2012, 10:02 AM
If you are looking at a 2wd sport truck, the R/T is a nice option. I never liked the Ram interiors, but that's a personal thing.

For Ford, if the Raptor is to rich for your blood, there are other options.
you can get a 2wd, 6.5' bed, XLT w/ the 5.0 and a 3.73 axle for around $26k. Drawback is you may not like the look of the 17" wheels, but there are lots of aftermarket options.
For go-fast, I'd prefer the Ecoboost, but it's not availible in that configuration, which to me, is the way you'd want a sport truck.
You can get it in the supercab w/ 6.5' bed, but then they force you into the 3.15 axle, which won't be particularly exciting.

If you start looking at the crew cab Lariat, you can get the 6.2L motor, same as the Raptor, in a slightly lighter truck. Can get 20" wheels too. Althought it's not a really light truck, so maybe not "sporty" enough for you?

Darell_n
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
The gearing will molest your wallet. Think long and hard before you buy that truck.

I'd sooner have a loaded quad cab, or a cloth diesel.

Most guys see a mileage improvement going to 4.56 gears with the 20" wheels. 4.10s on the R/T are nothing with the retarded transmission gear ratios these trucks have. The R/T also has a high(er) stall converter than the other models.

Ford_H8ter
02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
What do you mean Darell_n that 4.10's are nothing with the gearing? as in that it doesn't have that crazy effect on mileage? I'm not expecting 25mpg on the R/T, but not looking for 12 either, something reasonable for driving pretty calmly, i know that if I'm stomping on it there goes my wallet and all...

I've got appointments at both the local dodge and ford in town to take a look at an R/T that they supposedly have in stock, and an F150 Supercab so we will see what the test drives and talking numbers brings.

Masked Bandit - It sure would be nice to jump into a Raptor, gorgeous trucks and aggressive lines, but unfortunately that is a bit steep for my pocket...not looking to spend more than idk, 35, maybe 40 if its needed.

looking on dodge's website, the R/T will come in around 31 before taxes, i just dont see much more out there for bang for the buck for looks/performance in that "idea"

lauphman
02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
2wd half ton is the worst vehicle I've ever driven in the winter. Can't move from a light if there's ice or up any hills. Winter tires would probably help but all the weight is still in front.

Darell_n
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Ford_H8ter
What do you mean Darell_n that 4.10's are nothing with the gearing? as in that it doesn't have that crazy effect on mileage? I'm not expecting 25mpg on the R/T, but not looking for 12 either, something reasonable for driving pretty calmly, i know that if I'm stomping on it there goes my wallet and all...

4.10s in a Chev or Ford = excessive RPM on the highway. Dodges are geared goofy from the factory and normally get better mixed city/highway mileage and performance with 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios. There is nothing in the R/T that would increase fuel consumption other than having heavy 20" wheels.

And those that consider the Raptor a 'Sport' truck. They are slower than everything on pavement. I would have to choose between the R/T and Ecoboost, personally.

Cos
02-22-2012, 04:36 PM