PDA

View Full Version : garage floor, for a working garage

AndyL
02-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok so whats suggested, for a real working garage floor? Itll be a real working garage - oil spills, I regularly (weekly) have the mig and oxy/acy out, never mind the grinders, chop saws etc....

I can't see the pretty tiles not catching fire, same wth the PVC and lino types.... most of the true porcelain/natural stone won't survive...

So what's left? Epoxy coatings?

Maxt
02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Really, just bare concrete and be diligent about cleaning up the oil spills with varsol and floor dry.... Every coating I have seen in industrial bays and factories gets pitted from welding, cutting etc, and looks a mess after being worked on ...

DEATH2000
02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Ive heard the epoxy coatings are hit and miss for durability.

If your looking for ideas, the best place i recommend looking at is The Garage Journal. The inspiration is endless.

http://garagejournal.com/

spacerz
02-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Epoxy coatings tend to wear quite quick, especially with the salt/water mixture that melts off of your car durring the winter time.

I have also been planning on getting my garage floor done this summer. I have heard some great things about polyurea coatings, but I have not found any places that have any DIY applications (locally). I am still doing my research on that though, so I am not 100% certain on whether or not that is what I am going to go with.

AndyL
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah I've trolled garagejournal, its more show than go. I'm not interested in pretty as much as I'd like to be able to keep it looking half decent... I just can't see half of what I see there being useable in a working garage...

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Polished concrete ? :dunno:

n1zm0
02-22-2012, 10:00 AM
i have always wanted to do the standard aircraft hangar floor of polished white to see immediate leaks, missing hardware, also it's highly reflective when you're underneath a car.

idk if the material would catch fire though if you do welding.

sillysod
02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
i have always wanted to do the standard aircraft hangar floor of polished white to see immediate leaks, missing hardware, also it's highly reflective when you're underneath a car.

idk if the material would catch fire though if you do welding.

My dad has that in his hangar at Springbank. I priced out for a 26 * 28 garage and it was $6500.00. It is NOT the same as the Home Depot stuff.

Your best bet is to go to Hard Rock on Manitou Road by Shaw and get a professional sealer. It will help keep the concrete from absorbing oil and stains while standing up to the cutting torch.

sxtasy
02-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Check out National Concrete for quality concrete sealers.