PDA

View Full Version : Question about selling a vehicle

4AGE
02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I heard that selling a vehicle that has a rebuilt or salvage title claiming that it is clean title is illegal.

Can anyone clarify on the legality of this

codetrap
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM

FraserB
02-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Perfectly legal.:rolleyes:

Please use common sense.

4AGE
02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Perfectly legal.:rolleyes:

Please use common sense.

Typical beyond response.

Thanks for your insightful post.

leftwing
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I would say it is illegal as the vehicle is being misrepresented. Just my opinion though.

colinxx235
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by 4AGE

Typical beyond response.

typical lazy fuck who can't spend 2 seconds doing a google search

not to mention the answer to your question is rather obvious

FraserB
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 4AGE

Typical beyond response.

Fair enough.

Fraud is illegal.

Please use common sense.

G-ZUS
02-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Fair enough.

Fraud is illegal.

Please use common sense.

Seems like common sense is not so common anymore.

Kobe
02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
If the person didn't know it had a salvaged title and bought it as a clean title, and is now selling it with a "clean"title when than it would get complicated.

You would have 2 track down the previous owner before him I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Tomaz
02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
How the hell could one change the title anyway?

DEATH2000
02-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
How the hell could one change the title anyway?
Swapping VIN plates? Take one from a car off Pick N Pull, put on salvaged car, register?

Thaco
02-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Swapping VIN plates? Take one from a car off Pick N Pull, put on salvaged car, register?
yeah because that's completely legit...

mekeni
02-22-2012, 04:47 PM
:facepalm:

DEATH2000
02-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

yeah because that's completely legit... Never said it was. Just a theory on how someone would go about claiming a salvged car as a "clean" car.

Mtn Tow
02-23-2012, 09:18 PM

G-ZUS
02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Mtn Tow
How would a p'np vin be clean?! It's a salvage yard.

It works like this. You call me. I pick up car, whatever the monetary deal may be; I have you sign it to me.

Clean title.

I look at car and decide it is worth selling. I sell the car.

Clean title.

3 years from now, the car dies and gets taken to p'np (or crashes and taken to impact). They salvage it. Even if your insurance sends an evaluator out to write the car off, it does not mean he will apply a salvage title, unless they decide to buy it.

Salvage title.

So basically unless you buy a car from a scrap yard or auction it should not have a salvage title and they ARE bound to inform you of the vehicles particulars.

Is it illegal? Fraud always is. Is it still illegal if you know? Sort of....

I don't remember when exactly but the laws changed so registered dealers can no longer sell cars "as is". Private citizens have a cap on how many cars they are allowed to sell in a year and should almost never have possession of a salvage titled car.

I think this question evokes counter-questions to clarify the situation.

Your question actually kinda implies that you want to sell a vehicle and want to know technicalities about doing so.

I'll leave you with the one word that will be more important than a barely enforced set of laws. KARMA

Anyone can sell a car to pick n pull or buy from them. Also, anybody can get a membership at impact or calgaru salvage and buy cars from them

Mtn Tow
02-23-2012, 09:52 PM

master hec0
02-24-2012, 09:45 PM

Right, and it will come with a salvage title. At least from pick 'n pull. I don't deal with anyone else.

So anyways, the customer knows its a salvage and proceeds to an inspection point or strips it. If stripped, a buyer should be asking questions. Or a knowing customer purchases a car and sits on it or flips it right away with the salvage title still on. Rare. (considering how many vehicles are sold in a year)

pnp does not apply salvage title to vehicles i got a ranger from them without a salvage title but if somebody actually buys a cab the sales manager will remove the vin tags.

Mtn Tow
02-25-2012, 12:16 AM

master hec0
02-25-2012, 01:59 AM

I dunno. They're supposed to. I've personally overheard them telling people that the vehicles come on a salvage title. Maybe you got lucky? I really don't know.

I've brought them well over 500 cars in the past so i've been around for a while... :dunno:

they like to tell people that to discourage them joanne (obviously you know her) told me that but in reality they do not it takes too much effort apparently.

500 cars eh? i probably seen you come thru a few times I saw that Fb picture of the red Mazda truck from late 2010 I forked that one and it broke in half :rofl:

Mtn Tow
02-25-2012, 02:42 AM

master hec0
02-25-2012, 02:51 AM

LMFAO!

Ya, i'm the older green Dodge & trailer or green Chevy wrecker.

The guy that sleeps outside the gate occasionally with a couple cars. No doubt you know who I am. You've probably forked a load or two off my deck!

iv seen the chevy wrecker before probably forked a few of your vehicles before too. you fork one vehicle you have forked them all lol

were you the guy that brought those 2 incredibly decrepit cars that both needed to be forked off apparently they were in a demolition derby on some guys acreage.

I dont work there anymore but i gotta say quite the characters at picknpull.

Mtn Tow
02-25-2012, 02:57 AM

master hec0
02-25-2012, 02:59 AM
Doesn't ring a bell...

that's really the only unique pick i remember all the rest seemed exactly the same to me late 80s early 90s fullsize truck with older flat deck trailers and wood decks.