PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are muscle cars just antiques now?

kvg
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
I was thinking about it today and since the performance of today's cars is so good from econo boxed with 200+ hp, sport sedans and sports cars are muscle cars just antiques? Yes I know some people still mod the old beasts, but generally would you consider buying a muscle car for the performance over just as a fun toy?

Tik-Tok
02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
I voted antique (collectable), but I also want to vote "still awesome".

We have a '72 goat, it's a fun car, but from a price point, there's no performance there (Kind of like a NSX really, lol)

kvg
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I love old cuda's, impala's, mustangs, etc, but new cars now are so well rounded.

beyond_ban
02-23-2012, 05:27 PM
They are still awesome in my opinion. I love the classic lines and raw power. Of course they wont lap laguna seca as fast as any modern sports car, but the power and pass times they can put down is still impressive.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Still awesome!

ExtraSlow
02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I voted antique, but that's strictly from a performance standpoint.

We live in the era of 280 hp minivans, and there are several 400 hp 4 cyl cars availible. There is no shortage of cars today that could spank the old legends.

However, I do think they are awesome from a "smile on your face" standpoint.

Hallowed_point
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
I think the old muscle cars have a certain appeal that eco boxes & sport sedans will never match. There is something to be said about a cammed , v8 beast roaring down the road as far as head turning ability. That will never go out of style :burnout:

leftwing
02-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I think the old muscle cars have a certain appeal that eco boxes & sport sedans will never match. There is something to be said about a cammed , v8 beast roaring down the road as far as head turning ability. That will never go out of style :burnout:

Agree 100%

They will never go out of style.

Masked Bandit
02-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Anitique only IMO. There capabilities as a vehicle are outdated but still very nice to look at.

Graham_A_M
02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
^ Yeah, good in a straight line, but not much else. The much more (sport handling packaged) ones can hold their own, but the technology of late really dates them.

Still amazing, and man there isnt much I wouldn't do for a Charger, Cuda or (similar aged) Trans am (etc etc) but they are heavy, and generally cant handle nearly as good without some serious updating.

I used to have a '72 Chevelle and man... that was quite the eye opener. Base model... but still.... That was one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven.

Darell_n
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Still amazing, and man there isnt much I wouldn't do for a Charger, Cuda or (similar aged) Trans am (etc etc) but they are heavy, and generally cant handle nearly as good without some serious updating.

Unfortunately, the new versions are much heavier.

Rat Fink
02-23-2012, 06:28 PM

speedog
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
They are relics and antiques now, but my 1980 El Camino is still a hoot to drive. Handling - my Sonic can run circles around the El Camino, but for a summer cruise the El Camino still wins hands down. There's just something about being able to go down the highway at 70mph with the windows down and no wind coming inside the cabin - no modern car can do that. And that V8 rumble, yupp, a great sound.

Still a relic though, no ABS, no stability control, shitty mileage, iffy performance, rusts if it even sniffs moisture and wallows like a whale at the first sign of a curve. Still fun though.

SR240SX
02-23-2012, 06:47 PM
^^ couldn't have said it better myself RatFink.

raceman6135
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
The new stuff may perform better, but it all looks the same and you certainly won't see much of this new shit kicking around in 40 years like you see with todays "relics".

QFT.

That.Guy.S30
02-23-2012, 11:47 PM
I find that the classic cars can never be replaced. My 73 Z gets more looks than my neighbors 911 turbo. I guess you can call it a Japanese muscle car. I could care less how fast it is, cuz hell there are alot of faster cars out there. It has this presence that a newer car will never get.

The lines, the sound, the smell, the "soul" can never be replaced. Most people don't understand. Once you get in one and drive, you will understand.

Hallowed_point
02-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
I find that the classic cars can never be replaced. My 73 Z gets more looks than my neighbors 911 turbo. I guess you can call it a Japanese muscle car. I could care less how fast it is, cuz hell there are alot of faster cars out there. It has this presence that a newer car will never get.

The lines, the sound, the smell, the "soul" can never be replaced. Most people don't understand. Once you get in one and drive, you will understand.

:thumbsup: Exactly

g-m
02-24-2012, 12:39 AM
fuck I WISH i had the skills to own an S30. One of these years.

Phatdhad
02-24-2012, 02:41 AM
the old muscle represents many things to many people.
the roar of big displacement is a beautiful thing!
Its part of our history and part of what makes modern performance cars what they are today.

Unknown303
02-24-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm still all for old muscle. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

clem24
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Kind of sad these days when an X5 M can spank the majority of cars out there. But what's the fun in that? There's a lot more to cars than just being able to go fast.

But then again, what's your definition of muscle car? V8 'esque power and live rear axle? Or would something like a C63 coupe also fall into the category as well?

kvg
02-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I would call a C63 a modern day muscle car for sure. The old one are sweet but if you had 100k to buy a car would you opt for the old or the new? I would love a AC Cobra, but for a 100k you wouldn't be getting a real one.

sputnik
02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
You guys can keep your generic looking 400 hp Hondas and Subarus.

http://www.rmauctions.com/images/cars/JG08/JG08_r219_01.jpg

r3ccOs
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by kvg
I would call a C63 a modern day muscle car for sure. The old one are sweet but if you had 100k to buy a car would you opt for the old or the new? I would love a AC Cobra, but for a 100k you wouldn't be getting a real one.

for the longest time I felt that trucks are what remains of muscle cars...
windsor blocks, 327/350's, dana axles, body on frames etc...

last 7 years... with the horsepower race, there are alot of big displacement engines crammed into cars

I concider the current mustang 5.0, the older SVT, the SRT8s muscle cars as bang for the buck, they're right there

but yes any of the AMG line... specifically slk/e/c 63's are also very much musclesque

however small displacement, reliable, direct engine, turbo'd engines are also really giving amazing results...
280hp 2ish liter engines that bold good fuel effeneciency is something to marvel at

Hallowed_point
02-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by kvg
I would call a C63 a modern day muscle car for sure.

I wouldn't, the C63 while it is a beast in it's own right I don't think it is anywhere close to a modern muscle car. It is far too luxurious & high tech. A modern muscle car (to me) is a Dodge Viper. I think it needs to have a certain rawness about it that I can't say a Mercedes would have , regardless of the 6.2L v8.

n1zm0
02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by g-m
fuck I WISH i had the skills to own an S30. One of these years.

+1 but for my pops, i think my brother and i will try and find him one for his 60th b-day

clem24
02-24-2012, 02:13 PM

I wouldn't, the C63 while it is a beast in it's own right I don't think it is anywhere close to a modern muscle car. It is far too luxurious & high tech. A modern muscle car (to me) is a Dodge Viper. I think it needs to have a certain rawness about it that I can't say a Mercedes would have , regardless of the 6.2L v8.

Hmm.. Simple. Just turn off the traction and stability control of the Merc. I am going to be honest here: the C class is not exactly the epitome of luxury. The interior is not the best that Merc has to offer.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2012, 02:13 PM

sputnik
02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I like my cars to be all about driving experience and responsiveness and they just don’t deliver. Whenever I picture myself driving a muscle car, I am holding onto the steering wheel in corners while I try to prevent myself from sliding to the passenger side on a double wide bench seat.

There is something fun about driving in a car where the bucket seats come up to your shoulder blades, you have a lap belt in the front seat, no power steering, fully manual/mechanical transmission and 300+ hp turning the rear wheels.

gogreen
02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

for the longest time I felt that trucks are what remains of muscle cars...
windsor blocks, 327/350's, dana axles, body on frames etc...

last 7 years... with the horsepower race, there are alot of big displacement engines crammed into cars

I concider the current mustang 5.0, the older SVT, the SRT8s muscle cars as bang for the buck, they're right there

but yes any of the AMG line... specifically slk/e/c 63's are also very much musclesque

Your first definition would include cars like a 1987 Ford Crown Victoria or 1982 Chevrolet Caprice. It also excludes cars such as the '64 Ford Thunderbolt (a Fairlane equipped with a 427) which, although not as easily available as other "factory muscle" cars from that era, was a unibody car. The Mustang, being based on the Fairlane platform, was and always has been of unibody construction as well (though technically one could make the argument that the Mustang should be categorized separately as a "pony car" along with the original Camaro and Challenger).

In my mind, the term "muscle car" most accurately refers to a specific group of cars from 1965/66 up to around 1973. What sets them apart from the current crop of high-performance cars is that they were stripped-down and specifically tailored for straight-line speed. Basically the manufacturers did what hot rodders had been doing for decades; take the largest displacement engine they could find and fit it in a lightweight chassis. You could walk into the showroom and order a radio-delete car with no a/c, no power windows, no power locks, and simple vinyl bench. That evolved into the manufacturers consistently trying to one-up the competition with more and more power, and reel people in with funky options like shaker scoops, performance shifters, striping packages, and wild colours such as "Plum Crazy" and "Grabber Green".

Obviously new cars handle better and the average car is much more powerful than in those days, but I think the nostalgia and sense of history is a large part of a muscle car's appeal. Particularly because that time period was immediately followed by the uninspiring "smog era" when the car makers struggled to adapt to new fuel economy and emissions standards, effectively neutering their lineups in the process.

95teetee
02-25-2012, 04:17 PM
I think the old muscle cars have a certain appeal that eco boxes & sport sedans will never match. There is something to be said about a cammed , v8 beast roaring down the road as far as head turning ability. That will never go out of style :burnout: well put.

My Duster used to have a 400hp 340, through a built 727 into a 4.10 8 3/4 suregrip. 11-1 compression, big valves, single-plane intake with a 780 Holley, and a cam with lobes like fists. A friend once said that, idling with the doors open, it looked like a dragonfly :D

the guy who originally built my car asked me to compare it to my Stealth. I told him the stealth would pull the Duster off the line, but by the eighth mark the Duster would be ahead. It would have the quarter probably by half a second or so (mid-12s) and then the fact that the Stealth's top end is 60+ mph better would obviously come into account lol.

Handling? The Duster? Let's not talk about that. And four wheel drums means that the car will stop...eventually...but it won't be happy about it.

Creature comforts? Well, the windows roll down...

As far as choosing which one to drive, the Stealth usually wins. It starts perfectly every time and does exactly what I expect it to do. Gets exponentially better gas mileage, and has everything a modern car needs.
On the other hand, it's cool to see a 5 year old try to rip his mom's arm off to get a better look at the duster.

^gogreen, nice plug for Plum Crazy:thumbsup:

e31
02-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Muscle cars are antiques in the same way that wooden rollercoasters are. They ride rougher, have less features; but the real excitement comes from the feeling that it may decide to kill you at any second.

A hard launch in some old muscle cars can exhibit frame twisting, and the lifting of a wheel or two, plus the sometimes unexpected opening of the glovebox and loss of contents.

95teetee
02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
^with mine, it was CD skippage and dashboard emptying that a launch used to cause lol.

Graham_A_M
02-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by gogreen

In my mind, the term "muscle car" most accurately refers to a specific group of cars from 1965/66 up to around 1973. What sets them apart from the current crop of high-performance cars is that they were stripped-down and specifically tailored for straight-line speed. Basically the manufacturers did what hot rodders had been doing for decades; take the largest displacement engine they could find and fit it in a lightweight chassis. You could walk into the showroom and order a radio-delete car with no a/c, no power windows, no power locks, and simple vinyl bench. That evolved into the manufacturers consistently trying to one-up the competition with more and more power, and reel people in with funky options like shaker scoops, performance shifters, striping packages, and wild colours such as "Plum Crazy" and "Grabber Green".

This. Hearing people consider the C63 as a muscle car? :rolleyes:
Um... not really.

johnyboy11
02-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I've worked in a shop for a long time, and driven a lot of different cars. There is still nothing like getting in my 74 Dodge Challenger and just hearing that engine roar as I make her burn out at will.

I'll admit even though it's upgraded it still sucks for handling.

95teetee
02-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by johnyboy11
my 74 Dodge Challenger :drool:

what color/drivetrain?

Hallowed_point
02-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I mainly just don't like hearing them referred to as antiques..it seems disrespectful imo. They still have a place even though most of them are no longer king of the roost on the streets. Even in my camaro, i notice a lot of rice mongers in their sti's and evos that love doing fly bys on me :rolleyes: it's kind of hilarious!

Graham_A_M
02-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
:drool:

what color/drivetrain?
Surprisingly, Dodge is the only company that kept the Challenger decent all the way to '74. Almost all companies Killed the muscle cars in '72. Quite surprised.
EDIT: much the same with the Cuda. For the first time in my life; I can say Props to Chrysler. :thumbsup:

Cos
02-26-2012, 12:47 AM

syritis
02-26-2012, 01:22 AM
the best muscles cars are from late 60's - early 70's, and was way before my time i like to believe that everyone at that time owned either a mustang, camaro, corvette or a few others.

being more realistic i know that's not the case so i wouldn't know if seeing one of those cars was as rare as seeing a rouch/SS mustang, SS camaro, or zo6 vette today.

so it's hard to determine if the muscle cars from the past are truly amazing cars (for their time) or just a well kept antique

95teetee
02-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ I thought the good challengers were from 1970-1974? I maybe I am wrong though. I don't know a lot about mopar. they were only made from '70 to '74 (not counting the new ones, of course. And completely, unequivocally forgetting the later 1970's mitsu version)

xnvy
02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
LOVE muscle cars, especially the 'Cuda.

Sugarphreak
02-26-2012, 08:56 PM

gogreen
02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
well put.

My Duster used to have a 400hp 340, through a built 727 into a 4.10 8 3/4 suregrip. 11-1 compression, big valves, single-plane intake with a 780 Holley, and a cam with lobes like fists. A friend once said that, idling with the doors open, it looked like a dragonfly :D

the guy who originally built my car asked me to compare it to my Stealth. I told him the stealth would pull the Duster off the line, but by the eighth mark the Duster would be ahead. It would have the quarter probably by half a second or so (mid-12s) and then the fact that the Stealth's top end is 60+ mph better would obviously come into account lol.

Handling? The Duster? Let's not talk about that. And four wheel drums means that the car will stop...eventually...but it won't be happy about it.

Creature comforts? Well, the windows roll down...

As far as choosing which one to drive, the Stealth usually wins. It starts perfectly every time and does exactly what I expect it to do. Gets exponentially better gas mileage, and has everything a modern car needs.
On the other hand, it's cool to see a 5 year old try to rip his mom's arm off to get a better look at the duster.

^gogreen, nice plug for Plum Crazy:thumbsup:

You're welcome. ;)

Rat Fink
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Eleanor
02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Hotchkis E-Max Challenger:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/emaxlead.jpg

A muscle car that handles :D

95teetee
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Hotchkis E-Max Challenger:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/emaxlead.jpg

A muscle car that handles :D
yep, even a girl can drive it:D
4SwRwY6pDdE

kvg
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
LOVE muscle cars, especially the 'Cuda.

Cuda's are soooo sexy

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/kellygibbonsemail/_1180607.jpg

What no love for classic import muscle, LOL

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/kellygibbonsemail/_1190101.jpg

Graham_A_M
02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
^ Cant say there is. As far as "muscle cars" are concerned; that would be the 98lbs weakling flexing in front of a mirror. :rofl:

Asides from that I'd agree; there isn't much cooler then a Charger, Cuda, GTX or the like at an intersection with that characteristic rough muscle car "chop".
:bigpimp:

Fuck I love that... :clap:

e31
02-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I wouldn't say it is disrespectful, cars are technically defined as "antique" once they hit 45 years of age, similar to how cars are defined as "classic" once they hit 25 years of age.

Basically any cars with a 1967 year or older are technically antique now.

This blows my mind.

I vote that every 5 years from now onward, we set the bracket back 5 years. I feel that if mankind were to allow an 80's K-car to be labelled "classic" in any way, we will have failed as a gender and as a species.

clem24
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by e31
I feel that if mankind were to allow an 80's K-car to be labelled "classic" in any way, we will have failed as a gender and as a species.

Just like how a "classic" song doesn't have to actually have been good, so can a car...

Abeo
02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by kvg

What no love for classic import muscle, LOL

4 doors and 4 cylinders will never be muscle, sorry. 2 doors, V8, 4 or more barrels.

speedog
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
A debatable list of muscle cars perhaps - link (http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/classic-muscle-cars?page=1). American muscle only on this list.