PDA

View Full Version : Snowing hard in the NW?

benyl
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Wife says she can't get up my MIL driveway... Looks like I have to go dig her out!

Aspen has no snow. Looks like it is going to be a fun night. haha

Squishy
02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
I drove my celica for the first time in 4 months today as a bday present to myself and it started snowing!! My app on my iphone didn't say it was suppose to snow today :( I don't think it's too bad in the south area of the city?

turbotrip
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
no snow on the road in the NW that I saw....

Unknown303
02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
It's about damn time we got some snow! :clap:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Haha so slippery up here in Beacon Hill. Somehow I'm still the fastest 2WD car on the road.

lilmira
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
It's snowing pretty good in the NW. Warm pavement + snow may turn into sheer ice overnight. My driveway was a bit slippery to walk on even.

schocker
02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Stoney trail was wet but slow so I decided to go by the prison. Not such a wise idea :rofl:

kvg
02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Great place to find hitchhikers though

98type_r
02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Hanson Ranch hill was a real mess, two idiots who couldn't get up the hill had it backed up. My wife had to turn around and take another route after being stuck behind it for a while

Xtrema
02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Tomorrow morning is gonna suck.

DEATH2000
02-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Stoney trail was wet but slow so I decided to go by the prison. Not such a wise idea :rofl:
Crap. Thats my way home tonight. How slippery is it?

bignerd
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Husband says Country Hills East bound towards deerfoot trail is a no-go. Cars with blinkers on and a bus that can't get up the hill.

codetrap
02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
No problems driving at all. Winter Tires & S-AWC FTW ;)

botox
02-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Panorama hills is a skating rink right now. Have AWD and Winters on but it doesn't help when the roads are blocked with cars that can't get up them. Had to work my way through coventry to get home.

ArjayAquino
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Yep it was pretty crappy up by Kincora. Both hills going up Kincora had 4 or 5 cars blocking the road trying to get up :facepalm: had to wait like 10 mins before i had space to go.

The BMW Guy
02-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Hanson Ranch hill was a real mess, two idiots who couldn't get up the hill had it backed up. My wife had to turn around and take another route after being stuck behind it for a while

BIG mess. All over that hill cars are on the side with blinkers on, a few had collisions while others were nice truck owners pulling out their tow equipment.

People at the bottom of the hill couldn't get up, so that caused a real mess too. Some people decided to get around the stopped cars by going into the oncoming traffic lane, not a good idea at all! I almost slid into an SUV that did that...

Drive safe!

schocker
02-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Crap. Thats my way home tonight. How slippery is it?
It was not really slipper but the snow was pretty deep. The big hill was tricky as there were cars coming the other way as well :rofl:

Mtn Tow
02-23-2012, 09:01 PM

..*JDM Hatch*..
02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Roads are BRUTAL in the NW rightnow around 14st,country hills,panorama,etc area.

Kloubek
02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Well all this talk makes me want to go out for a spin!

sillysod
02-23-2012, 09:19 PM
McKenzie is completely dry still

v2kai
02-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by botox
Panorama hills is a skating rink right now. Have AWD and Winters on but it doesn't help when the roads are blocked with cars that can't get up them. Had to work my way through coventry to get home.

Yup, hop the curb is the way to go. Ended up pushing a few people and towing some up the hill so they got out of the way with my shitty little RAV4. Winter tires and AWD FTW:goflames:

..*JDM Hatch*..
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
4x4 + 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers= No traction issues...unless i run RWD and floor it.

AE92_TreunoSC
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
country hills area is mental. I used stoney trail to get around it to my house in coventry

lots of black ice and stuck cars, its only in the nw area, the NE and SW weren't that bad just an hour ago when I was there.

Kijho
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Seriously took me about 3 hours getting from Beacon Hill into Coventry Hills, made the biggest mistake taking Country Hills eastbound and I sat at Kincora on that hill at the golf course for THREE hours waiting for cars, busses, suv's, literally every single car that was not a Subaru just spinning their tires ..

I actually wondered why the ice/snow was all still on that road considering how long every car was sitting there for, the heat from the car's is melting the snow but it's freezing really fast and the entire NW/NE is completely dropped in ICE.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/432334_10150702792260309_722110308_11877999_1814377757_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/432282_10150702675575309_722110308_11877336_920560756_n.jpg

Sentry
02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Took me 6 minutes to get home from work, and there's less than a cm on the ground right now.

:D

AE92_TreunoSC
02-23-2012, 10:20 PM
I drove past you going the opposite direction at 7pm Kijho :D

I felt bad for those who couldn't jump the median.

I dont understand how that car spun around, I thought it came from west bound but there were no marks.

M.alex
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
It amazes me people are willing to live in the North-end of Calgary. Poor weather, criminals, foreigners, criminals, murderers, smelly people, rapists :/

Maxx Mazda
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Royal oak was fine.

Nakadah
02-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Near Crowfoot isn't that bad. It was snowing in the afternoon, but stopped. Trucks are out sanding the main roads. Some neighborhood streets are pretty icy/slippery though.

PS: Squishy, happy birthday!

Squishy
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
McKenzie is completely dry still LIES! I almost went through an island!!!

Thx Nakadah!!

syritis
02-24-2012, 03:00 AM
At 2pm i spun the back wheels trying to go around a couple cars doing half the speed limit in the left lane. after that was clear sailing with no issues on stoney.

I'm looking forward to the drive home if the roads haven't been plowed.

max_boost
02-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Happy Birthday Squishlady.

Sucks for some of you guys, I had no problems getting around in the south. Luckily I start work at 10:30am so hopefully roads are cleared by then haha

syritis
02-24-2012, 05:10 AM
massive disappointment for the drive home. tons of salt on the road. mostly wet. couple dry patches, couple snow covered.

speedog
02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Roads are bare and dry this morning in Bridlewood, customers say it was a wonderful evening - same can certainly not be said of the north central part of the city (SAIT, UofC, Deerfoot Mall) as the roads were absolutely brutal around 7-8PM, were better around 9PM after the city's salt/sanding trucks got out to do their business.

Doesn't matter - today is another day and it sounds like we're in for another little dose of winter tonight and over the weekend.

codetrap
02-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Fun this morning in Country Hills. Did my best curling rock imitation once by accident, then I started having fun with the SAWC and the traction control alarm... my Outlander get's so indignant when it loses traction LOL.

project240
02-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Any snow on the ground around DT?

Kloubek
02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I went out shortly after my last post in this thread - looking to see if I could help out anyone who was having problems still getting up the hills to Kincora. There are only one Cavalier and it was abandoned. Other than that, nobody seemed to be having any real difficulty.

It *was* pretty slippery though.

schocker
02-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by project240
Any snow on the ground around DT?
Not really.

Glad I have my lil' snowblower now. We had tons of snow in sage hill.

Thaco
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I was up in country hills at around 6:30pm, heading east to deerfoot, some dummy in his infinity with summers on couldn't make it up the hill.

But yea, it was tons of heavy west snow that fell fast, i was outside for like 10 minutes and i swear when i got inside i had 2 inches of snow on my head, kept melting down my back.

C_Dave45
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Kijho
Seriously took me about 3 hours getting from Beacon Hill into Coventry Hills, made the biggest mistake taking Country Hills eastbound and I sat at Kincora on that hill at the golf course for THREE hours waiting for cars, busses, suv's, literally every single car that was not a Subaru just spinning their tires ..

I actually wondered why the ice/snow was all still on that road considering how long every car was sitting there for, the heat from the car's is melting the snow but it's freezing really fast and the entire NW/NE is completely dropped in ICE.

*pic*

*pic*

And people say Vancouver turns into a shitstorm with just a few inches of snow.
:rolleyes:
What's on the ground in those pics....an inch??

:rofl:

Thaco
02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

And people say Vancouver turns into a shitstorm with just a few inches of snow.
:rolleyes:
What's on the ground in those pics....an inch??

:rofl: lets not mention the snow that fell before the sun touched down, which all melted on the street, then cold set in and snow on top of ice... recipe for disaster

C_Dave45
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
lets not mention the snow that fell before the sun touched down, which all melted on the street, then cold set in and snow on top of ice... recipe for disaster
Exactly. My post is more "tongue-in-cheek" than anything. It just makes me laugh when Calgarians say all Vancouverites don't know how to handle driving in snow. What happened up the NW yesterday is almost every single snowfall on the coast. Snow falls, snow melts, slush freezes, snows some more....total chaos. And then everyone says "HAHAHAHA they can't even drive in a couple of inches of snow".

heavyD
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Exactly. My post is more "tongue-in-cheek" than anything. It just makes me laugh when Calgarians say all Vancouverites don't know how to handle driving in snow. What happened up the NW yesterday is almost every single snowfall on the coast. Snow falls, snow melts, slush freezes, snows some more....total chaos. And then everyone says "HAHAHAHA they can't even drive in a couple of inches of snow".

Yeah what a total joke. Yesterday should have been a walk in the park but Calgarians simply can't drive. I make it home accross the city unscathed in a fucking Mustang GT and people have issues piloting 4x4 SUV's and FWD cars in what I consider mild winter weather. The drivers in this city are a complete joke and should be ashamed of their poor driving skills.

Abeo
02-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah what a total joke. Yesterday should have been a walk in the park but Calgarians simply can't drive. I make it home accross the city unscathed in a fucking Mustang GT and people have issues piloting 4x4 SUV's and FWD cars in what I consider mild winter weather. The drivers in this city are a complete joke and should be ashemed of their poor driving skills.

To be fair, yesterday's snow was really greasy compared to the dry snow that usually falls here. Combined with no salting and lots of drivers spinning tires, it got bad quickly. Last night was the closest I've got to getting stuck this year (mind you, I was testing my limits on a hill).

Kijho
02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I hope it snows even harder tonight, now that I know, I'll take back roads home and have some fun :clap:

Unknown303
02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
My avatar is what it takes to get my Jeep stuck in the winter...

Chester
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah what a total joke. Yesterday should have been a walk in the park but Calgarians simply can't drive. I make it home accross the city unscathed in a fucking Mustang GT and people have issues piloting 4x4 SUV's and FWD cars in what I consider mild winter weather. The drivers in this city are a complete joke and should be ashamed of their poor driving skills.

100% agree. It seems drivers are getting worse every year, too.

Masked Bandit
02-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Chester

100% agree. It seems drivers are getting worse every year, too.

Nah, we're just getting older & grumpier.

I'd like to see a solid foot fall this weekend. It'll give my snowblower & 4x4 something to do.

slammedfc
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
It amazes me people are willing to live in the North-end of Calgary. Poor weather, criminals, foreigners, criminals, murderers, smelly people, rapists :/

i thought the NE was the bad area not the NW, i live far NW huntingdon and other than a few punk kids it doesnt seem that bad

ercchry
02-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by slammedfc

i thought the NE was the bad area not the NW, i live far NW huntingdon and other than a few punk kids it doesnt seem that bad

you should really ignore alex, he gets bored counting his money in his huge house out in the country and entertains himself here by being a jackass

zipdoa
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Must be lonely being you.