PDA

View Full Version : Average yearly maintenance costs?

phreezee
02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Seems like I've been spending a lot since the fall:

Mtb bike:
Rear deraileur
Cassette
Rear brake
Brake shoes
Studded tires
Tubes
Wheel trueing
Wheel hub rebuild, new axle.
2 chains
cyclo computer
lights

Tri bike:
2x Pro Race 3s
tubes

Feels like I could have bought a new bike. What do you guys spend in a year on average?

Khyron
02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
If you are replacing cassettes and derailers, you are letting your chain go for too long. Get a measuring tool and replace the chain as soon as it gets into the warning. You can go though 3-4 chains (order online) before needing new cas/derailer cogs.

Tires, 3-5000km - how are you burning through them so quickly?

Mtn Tow
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM

phreezee
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
If you are replacing cassettes and derailers, you are letting your chain go for too long. Get a measuring tool and replace the chain as soon as it gets into the warning. You can go though 3-4 chains (order online) before needing new cas/derailer cogs.

Tires, 3-5000km - how are you burning through them so quickly?

I'm a daily commuter, and summer rider so I get in the +3000km range. Good tip on the measuring tool, I'll look into it.

I felt like the deraileur was going and one day I had a jam that tore the hanger in half also.

Where are you ordering your parts from?

Khyron
02-23-2012, 10:10 PM
UK if you can believe it. Dura-ace chains, pr3 tires etc for pretty much half of here, free shipping.

http://www.probikekit.com/ca/

I also order from wiggle.com but I did get hit with duty/brokerage once.

phreezee
02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Cool, I just ordered my 2xpr3's+2 tubes for $65 (less than 1 tire from MEC) from http://ribblecycles.co.uk/

swak
02-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
UK if you can believe it. Dura-ace chains, pr3 tires etc for pretty much half of here, free shipping.

http://www.probikekit.com/ca/

I also order from wiggle.com but I did get hit with duty/brokerage once.

Nice find!

looks like a pretty rad site... How long is shipping usually coming from overseas?

Khyron
02-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by swak

Nice find!

looks like a pretty rad site... How long is shipping usually coming from overseas?

Never terrible like dealextreme but sometimes 4 days sometimes 2 weeks. I've ordered 10+ tires, tubes (butyl and latex), chains, cassettes, jerseys, lights - all good, never had to return anything.

They are pretty much top dog for bike parts. Dura-ace chains are ~35 bucks there, 70+ here. Pr3 tires 38 bucks, 79.99 here, etc.

HHURICANE1
02-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I've used wiggle a bunch and delivery is usually quicker than in North America and prices are usually a lot better too.

bigboom
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
if you are riding through the winter on a geared bike be prepared to dole out some money for derailleurs. the salt is hell on them, they will seize up and need to be replaced quicker than normal.

my solution is to run a singlespeed bike, all i need to do is replace the chain once a year at a cost of about $10. i dont get around as quick but i dont mind in the winter.

for your tri bike it doesnt seem out of the ordinary. i replace my tires once a year on my road bikes and go through a handful of tubes. however i am one to patch my tubes and reuse them, not everybody likes to fuss with that.

megavolt
02-26-2012, 12:32 PM
It's funny... when I decided to start commuting year round I thought I'd eventually even out the cost of transit passes with the initial cost of the bike. Then the realization of maintenance hit me and add the fact that I seem to be a gear whore and I'd say it probably costs close to the same. Not that I'd EVER go back to riding the train now...

superflychief
02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Check out Jensonusa.com. I've bought tons from them. Shipping is rediculously quick and they have great prices. I even bought a full bike from them once and it showed up in 2-3 days.

phreezee
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Friday, noticed that my pedal was not rotating and was sticking. Bought some new pedals but couldn't get the old pedals off! Actually broke my 5/8 and 15mm wrenches lol.

Today, bought new crankset lol.

Out another $65!

megavolt
03-19-2012, 04:45 PM
You know pedals are reverse threaded right?

phreezee
03-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by megavolt

Only the left-side, and yes I put this bike together from just a frame. :)

New crank and pedals are on and studded tires are off! Hopefully the forecasters continue to be wrong about snow days.

bigboom
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

Only the left-side, and yes I put this bike together from just a frame. :)

New crank and pedals are on and studded tires are off! Hopefully the forecasters continue to be wrong about snow days.

anytime you thread anything on a bike make sure you coat it with grease. if you have forgotten to grease anything try spraying wd-40 in there, has worked for me most times.

swak
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by megavolt

haha... ive even seen some bikes wheere ive had a wrench sniped and still couldn't move the pedals an inch.

my advise...

GREASE ALL METAL ON METAL CONTACTS!
^^ bigboom beat me to it :thumbsup:

Im actually really embarrassed to admit to this... but:
One of my old commuter bikes has a seized seatpost in it - simply from not cleaning the seatpost (replacing grease)... and it dried out and now the frame is nothing more than scrap metal to me.
EDIT: WD-40 / 50-05 / heating seatpost / even took a massive pipe wrench to my seatpost (was willing to sacrifice it) and still no dice.