PDA

View Full Version : Garage door opener, chain not moving, need repair shop recommend.

CanmoreOrLess
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
My garage door opener, chain type has decided to not cooperate any longer. The motor runs, the chain stays in place. So I need a repair person to come out and fix this. Maybe the chain has come off the gear inside the housing? I have no time and zero interest in doing the repair myself.

I've unplugged the unit and plugged it back in, no change and this is about all I am going to do.

Any recommended repair shops from Beyond?

CanmoreOrLess
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks Tik-Tok, AndyL PM'd as he is the go-to guy on Beyond for all things garage door related.

Case closed I am assuming.

dandia89
02-24-2012, 11:12 AM
let us know how it was fixed, im interested!

psi_klops
02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Shoot,
Just saw this post 2 hrs too late. I just had our garage door opener replaced this morning. "circuit board was fried". It did sound scammish, but what do I know...I just needed it fixed.

CanmoreOrLess
02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
AndyL was quick to reply, I would have gone with him but the person paying the bill for this repair had called another garage guy about ten minutes earlier.

It appears the gearing the unit is toast, $240ish for a gear replacement, as the opener is over seven years old it really was soon to bite the dust (7-9 years is as much as you can hope for). New unit is $500ish (with two remotes) installed, better idea as the gear goes today, the circuit board next summer.... better to go new.

I never did any sort of adjusting on the opener from day one, when it was installed all was fine. I wonder if some lube every year or something of the sort would prolong the unit? When stuff works, I just sorta leave it alone.

On a side note, I asked about a unit that mounts on the wall beside the garage door, quote $1,400 or so, it is the best of the best from what I have read.

AndyL
02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Holy f*ck is your landlord getting scammed... Or I need to charge an arseload more...

But I gears don't strip for no reason; there's another problem happening...

Circuit boards fry, but its rare - rarer in the winter... (Usually lightening related)