PDA

View Full Version : Overrated/ Underrated (sports) cars

NRGie
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Not sure if you can call a G35 a sports car, but the styling of the coupe and the way it sounds would tell you other wise. After driving one for the first time though I was surprisingly disappointed.

From what most people say and assume about the G35 I'd say its overrated by far and more of a luxury car then anything sporty.

Opinions on other cars?

Kloubek
02-24-2012, 04:47 PM
The G35 is a luxury version of the 350Z. If you want it for only sporting intentions, then I haven't heard a lot of bad things about the 350Z. It handles very well and has reasonable power. Of course, everything can be improved upon but we're also talking about a car who's debut was a decade ago.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I find my 135i is as to be expected, a mix if luxury and sportiness, but it aint no M car or 7 series.

schocker
02-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by NRGie
Not sure if you can call a G35 a sports car, but the styling of the coupe and the way it sounds would tell you other wise. After driving one for the first time though I was surprisingly disappointed.

From what most people say and assume about the G35 I'd say its overrated by far and more of a luxury car then anything sporty.

Opinions on other cars?
How is it not a sports car :facepalm:
280hp/270tq, brembo's, LSD, rwd
Seems pretty sporty to me after having owned one for years.

Regards,
Infiniti Fan No. 1

Redlined_8000
02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Its a luxury sports coupe.... Overrated? Well mine is good for 298hp, but people are actually only putting about 235whp stock on the dyno, which is pretty weak. Also combine that with Calgary's altitude, so here its about 210whp.... Trust me its alot quicker near sea level.

It can seem overrated I guess, but it is a "sports car" , just dulled up a bit.

By the way what are you trying to compair your dissapointment to? Your 1.8 vtec? :rofl:

Kardon
02-24-2012, 05:19 PM
All nissans are over rated.

kvg
02-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I would say VW's and Audi's are way over rated due to the amount of "Maintenance"/repairs every person I know that has or had one has had to do. Nice cars when their running though.

Toma
02-24-2012, 05:33 PM
We just dyno tested a stock 350z last night. It was 241 whp (corrected of course), pretty impressive!

Getting a Vortech kit tonight ;)

I would say they are sexy cars, and a very good bang for the buck now that prices have tanked.

Most over rated cars?? I dunno if they were ever rated high, but MR2's, all the 2 valve 4.6 Mustangs, Audi's, Talon's are all "over rated" .

Sugarphreak
02-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Kloubek
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Not sure about the Genesis, but I totally agree with you about the Eclipse and the CRZ. The Eclipse handles horribly, and the CRZ is gutless. By everything I know about the Genesis though, I thought it was a car pretty much on par (performance wise) to the G35....?

kvg
02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Why are we using a g35 for a bench mark?

JZS_147
02-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Toma
We just dyno tested a stock 350z last night. It was 241 whp (corrected of course), pretty impressive!

Getting a Vortech kit tonight ;)

I would say they are sexy cars, and a very good bang for the buck now that prices have tanked.

Most over rated cars?? I dunno if they were ever rated high, but MR2's, all the 2 valve 4.6 Mustangs, Audi's, Talon's are all "over rated" .

Wow, I'm really surprised you didn't say Supra. Your #1 hated car. :poosie:

For me, I feel STi's are very over rated.
:thumbsdow

ragu
02-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Most over rated performance car: STI, S2000.

Ukyo8
02-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147

For me, I feel STi's are very over rated.
:thumbsdow

:werd:
I had an 04 for a few months, and I still had way more fun ripping around in my rusty 240

vengie
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
G35's are alright once boosted, the Vq loveesss boost, I had a G35 with the vortech kit, made 385whp 368wtq when Vex was in red deer.

However I feel the NSX is an over rated car. Sure it handles well, but there really isn't much "GO" to them.

As for the Audi comment, My S4 does EXACTLY what I want from it, it is by no means a sports car either.

Graham_A_M
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Stock Fox body Mustangs ('87-92). Fast if you sink stupid money into one, but stock they really aren't the least bit quick in any way.
My neighbor has one (Toma knows him) thats a 10second warrior, but not much is stock on it short of the body. :nut:

max_boost
02-24-2012, 06:49 PM
For sure the NSX is most over-rated haha

Errol.
02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
NSX and S2000 are overrated.

Xtrema
02-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Overrate in comparison to what time period?

Newer cars always make older one overrated.

Other than most pony cars, most cars were awesome back in the days.

Darkane
02-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Stock Fox body Mustangs ('87-92). Fast if you sink stupid money into one, but stock they really aren't the least bit quick in any way.
My neighbor has one (Toma knows him) thats a 10second warrior, but not much is stock on it short of the body. :nut:

Really?!

Dude in '87 when the Speed density 302 hit 225hp and 300tq, an LX coupe with slicks BONE STOCK at sea level was in the 13's.

this cars is 25 years old! I also would not consider 13's slow.

Now for my UNDERRATED pick - '87+ Iroc Z 5.7 TPI.

Those made more power than advertised (245 hp). An auto with slicks, headers, exhaust would run deeep in the 13's. Pretty good for a 3600lb car.

:thumbsup:

streethondas
02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by NRGie

Opinions on other cars?

Stop trying to be a true afg! :rofl:

bourge73
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
I dunno about that one man. I have had several 5.0's and my 88 lx with nothing other than some mufflers and advanced timing, was easily into the 13's (ok, upper 13's but still) and if we went back in time haaha you would be thrown back in your seat and smelling rubber. Dont handle worth a shit...., but with a 5 speed they are fun and fast fo sho.

I have heard the Cobalt SS are underrated HP/TQ wise ? anyone have any experiences? ( yes I get they are not great cars but they are good bang for the buck)

sneek
02-24-2012, 07:41 PM
:rofl: Sounds like I've had some overrated cars. I agree 1000% on the STI. After a while you realize how bad the understeer is. A rear sway bar dials things in nicely but I would expect more from an STI.

S2000's are a lot of fun, not a great daily driver though. It is a car that really makes you feel like you are driving.

btimbit
02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Surprised nobody's said Corvette yet. Don't get me wrong, I do like them and I'll probably have one next year, but some of the owners friggin worship them way too much.

Originally posted by kvg
I would say VW's and Audi's are way over rated due to the amount of "Maintenance"/repairs every person I know that has or had one has had to do. Nice cars when their running though.

I had a reply to this.
Then my coolant pipe exploded.

..*JDM Hatch*..
02-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by kvg
with this statement add a few more cars:STI,Evo's,etc. they should all be in there aswell.

Darkane
02-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Surprised nobody's said Corvette yet. Don't get me wrong, I do like them and I'll probably have one next year, but some of the owners friggin worship them way too much.

I had a reply to this.
Then my coolant pipe exploded.

Maybe because in '05 when the 505hp Z06 debuted nothing could touch it in its price range? 1.09G on the skidpad too.

How about being one of the fastest ALL TIME cars around the ring? (2012 model).

09-11 GTR is one the most overrated cars in my opinion.

Graham_A_M
02-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Bourge & Darkane, true... I stand corrected. The ones I drove weren't anything to phone home about... but perhaps it was just them. :dunno:

That.Guy.S30
02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Last time I checked a STi was not a sports car...
:dunno:

Disoblige
02-24-2012, 10:51 PM
A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. They are sometimes called "sports cars" for marketing purposes for increased advertising and promotional purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car#Sports_car_versus_sporting_models

Almost none of the cars mentioned in this thread are sports cars, especially the G35 :rofl:

That.Guy.S30
02-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. They are sometimes called "sports cars" for marketing purposes for increased advertising and promotional purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car#Sports_car_versus_sporting_models

Almost none of the cars mentioned in this thread are sports cars, especially the G35 :rofl:

Maybe that's why they are so disappointed lol.

AE92_TreunoSC
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
MX-5 and RX7-8 for sure.

I've driven supercharged MX-5's that aren't fun. They only get fun in the snow, but I can have fun in a minivan in snow.

350z's to me are slow, unrefined and "soft"

Pretty much any Japanese sports car haha, shy of the supercars.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2012, 11:18 PM

kvg
02-24-2012, 11:22 PM
I would say the porche boxter is very under rated IMO. It's a fantastic solid quick car to drive. I hear people call them a girl porche, but those are the people that haven't driven one.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2012, 11:28 PM

kvg
02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
I love the 1 series and if the make the m1 hatch I will have to save my pennies.

wardpr68
02-24-2012, 11:35 PM
I agree on the 135 and Civic SI. The 2012 is really quite impressive. Sure it's not the top of the class for fit and finish, but for pure driving, I love it.

Kloubek
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by kvg
I would say the porche boxter is very under rated IMO. It's a fantastic solid quick car to drive. I hear people call them a girl porche, but those are the people that haven't driven one.

Being that I drive one (but have owned many, many cars so I am hardly bias towards it) I can agree with this. It is a true sports car through and through. BUT, I've owned many fast cars and it is most certainly not fast. Quick enough, but many many cars would blow it away in a straight line.

I've also owned a C5 Corvette, and was surprised this was considered an overrated car by at least one person. Every year of the Corvette with the possible exception of the C1 pretty much blows away all competition in its price point. Yes, it has an overly exuberant fan base, but that is to be expected considering good, sporty domestics are few and far between.

I also don't think the S2000 should be on this list. Yes it had its shortcomings, but it set the bar for high performance small displacement engines of the time and not a lot outhandles it. I've never really liked them, but not due to a lack of performance pedigree... just because they aren't my style.

If it could be considered a sports car, I'd say the newer V6 mustang is largely overlooked as a performance car - though it is actually quite impressive. Not long ago, performance like that could only be had in the GT version. And as far as the fox body models go - they were certainly popular, but they had good power for the time. I hate the way mine handled though, and felt much more comfortable in my Z28.... also of the same era. Still - neither could compare to the performance cars of today.

I'm also surprised to see the RX7 be on this list, as it was one of the most purebread sports cars of the time.... no matter which generation is being discussed, but especially the FD. Not many cars could match it for both straight line performance or especially handling... and if they did, they were usually more expensive. I can understand why the RX8 got a bad rap because it really lacked torque and some horsepower, but it still handled far better than most and was at least unique. That's all I'll say about it though since the hate for the rotary is exceptional and that is reason enough for some people to consider anything with that power plant to be "overrated".

Redlined_8000
02-25-2012, 12:16 AM
[i]Originally posted by Disoblige

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg

Anyway, most ovverrated engine IMO

B18c5 :D

m10-power
02-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Porsche 996 turbo underrated
NSX overrated
R35 GTR underrated amazing car that allows minimally skilled drivers some glory.
C6 Z06 vette underrated car with tons of aftermarket but terrible seats lol
Boxters/caymen all underrated

georgemagana
02-25-2012, 12:54 AM
-S2000: Amazing car, just underpowerd but outhandle most of the competition. Only reason it could be considered over rated would be the price both new and used IMO.

-Miata: Under rated for sure. All you hear about it is girl jokes but it is always on the top 10 best sports cars every year on multiple magazines. Yes underpowered but that is not everything on sports cars.

-RX8: Under rated as well because of the lack of torque. IMO best sport car(50/50, LSD, 3000 pounds, mid engine) you can buy for 10-11k right now. My 04 rx8 was way more fun than my evo.

-Corvette: who ever said the vette is over rated is an idiot.

-STI: amazing cars just over priced.

-135i: Only people who think this car sucks is the people who cant afford it.

tentacles
02-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

C6 Z06 vette underrated car with tons of aftermarket but terrible seats lol

They changed the seats for 2012.

http://i.imgur.com/oYnRR.png
http://i.imgur.com/rAdQf.jpg

I hope they've beefed up the steering column too because 2 years down the road they'll all have broken steering wheels from the average Corvette owner trying to pull themselves out of those seats. :love:

I guess the GTR was pretty underrated because its MSRP started at US$69k when it came out in 2008 and now base price is US$96k. A few more years and the 911 Turbo will be the poor man's GTR.

CMW403
02-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by kvg

No, those are the people that have driven a 911.

And I don't know how you've been driving any type of porche around, usually those are attached to your house.

Str1der
02-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by CMW403

And I don't know how you've been driving any type of porche around, usually those are attached to your house.

Really, so you've driven a 911 Carrera and a Boxster-S and found the 911 preferable from a sports car perspective?

dimi
02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd have to say NSX, especially the 3.0 models. Mostly because the looks are so ridiculous/sexy you expect a ton out of the car. The 3.2 is quite a step up, but so is the price.

S2000. I am a bit biased here, but no matter how under torqued the car is, it is very rewarding to drive. For a 2.0 car it is very fast. That said, Honda fell asleep on the car and it never really kept up with the opponents. Shame.

RX8. Not a big fan because to me its just a heavier, less powerful, non convertible S2000. Yea its more practical, but the V8 fuel economy really takes away from that.

G35/37 are good cars. Not really the sportiest chassis but more so aimed towards the sport luxury crowd.

As for Porsches, Boxster/Cayman platform > 911 (short of a turbo or GT versions). The Cayman S gets the same lap time as a C2S and the C2S costs $40,000 more.

heavyD
02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
IMO all cars have positives and negatives but exhaust sound of the VQ engines in the 350Z/G35 are amongst the worst I've ever heard. They all sound like a supercharged dust buster. Nasty.

schocker
02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
IMO all cars have positives and negatives but exhaust sound of the VQ engines in the 350Z/G35 are amongst the worst I've ever heard. They all sound like a supercharged dust buster. Nasty.
Why am I the only one who likes the sound of the VQ :rofl:

AndyL
02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Lol, datsun Z's - super overrated, only because I can't afford a decent one :) must start my master plan of creating urban legends that they randomly blow up or roll over :)

msommers
02-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Lots of people, and myself included, love the sound of the G35 - personal taste really. It could handle better but a set of bigger sways would fix a lot of the body roll. It's hurt mainly by not having a turbo(s) attached :angel: If I could have afforded to keep the G and the 4Runner, I'd run them both until they died. Really enjoyed driving that car.

As for the Genesis and G37, go to the Autoshow and sit in both, one right after the other as I did last year. The Genesis feels incredibly plasticky in comparison.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
The VQ sound is terrible to me, I can't stand it.

Redlined_8000
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
VQ exhaust note sounds really good! Engine itself, meh, but I dont really expect alot of engine noise from stock anyway.
Only negative I have about the VQ is the way it feels after 5000rpm. It vibrates like crazy! Very rough kinda.

know1edge
02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by schocker

i like the startup note

Hallowed_point
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

tempted to throw a spike strip out at the fob in his 350z that insists on redlining it down 11 Ave SE every damn day.. :guns: :barf: nasty

heavyD
02-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by schocker

It's personal taste for instance a lot of people like the Subaru rumble which I don't hate with a decent exhaust but with some loud aftermarket exhausts it get's amplified to a big burping/farting noisemaker that would drive me crazy if it was my daily driver. I really like the note of north american V8 engines providing the resonators are in tact as some Mustangs get far too raspy with x-pipes and loud mufflers. To me VQ engines don't sound muscular, they just sound like a a deep sucking noise.

tawheed
02-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Str1der

Really, so you've driven a 911 Carrera and a Boxster-S and found the 911 preferable from a sports car perspective?

THIS! When I had a Boxster S everyone was like "Ohh, no 911??" drive a base 996 C2 and then drive a Boxster S and tell me which one feels more sporty.

Most people who make these comments have never driven either car and usually own a rusted out civic, cavalier etc

As for overrated cars, any modern subaru WRX / STI I've driven has been disappointing, they have such a dull, non communicative feeling about everything: steering, throttle etc.

I don't see why anyone would underrate the S2000, I've owned two and from a purely balance point of view I'd say they're hard to beat.

kvg
02-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I love the sound of the VQ, but I'm bias as I have owned 2 VQ cars.

kvg
02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

Attached to your house? I don't get it. I have never owned one, but I have had had a boxter lent to me for a few days and driven a few older 911's and yes the 911 are sweet, but I don't think anyone over rates or under rates 911's.

Toma
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by vengie
G35's are alright once boosted, the Vq loveesss boost, I had a G35 with the vortech kit, made 385whp 368wtq when Vex was in red deer.

Yup, this one went from 241 NA to 373rwhp on my machine.

8 psi out of the box vortech kit and a catback..... no tuning, nothing. nice. :thumbsup:

Goofy kit though lol. Last car we did with a pulley, made 1.5 or 2 psi more boost with that goofy air filter removed

vengie
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Yup, this one went from 241 NA to 373rwhp on my machine.

8 psi out of the box vortech kit and a catback..... no tuning, nothing. nice. :thumbsup:

Goofy kit though lol. Last car we did with a pulley, made 1.5 or 2 psi more boost with that goofy air filter removed

And they love eating belts... I switched from the supplied gator back belt to a gates belt, helped a little.

Good luck with it! Car will fly

know1edge
02-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Attached to your house? I don't get it. I have never owned one, but I have had had a boxter lent to me for a few days and driven a few older 911's and yes the 911 are sweet, but I don't think anyone over rates or under rates 911's.

porsche...porche

kvg
02-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Lol, Oh I get it now thx :thumbsup:

CMW403
02-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Str1der

Originally posted by tawheed

THIS! When I had a Boxster S everyone was like "Ohh, no 911??" drive a base 996 C2 and then drive a Boxster S and tell me which one feels more sporty.

Most people who make these comments have never driven either car and usually own a rusted out civic, cavalier etc

As for overrated cars, any modern subaru WRX / STI I've driven has been disappointing, they have such a dull, non communicative feeling about everything: steering, throttle etc.

I don't see why anyone would underrate the S2000, I've owned two and from a purely balance point of view I'd say they're hard to beat.

I have driven several 911's, latest model being a 996 C4S and earliest model being a 964 turbo. Both models felt better than the 987 I drove when visiting an uncle in Winnipeg. Not to mention the boxter looks like a pile of garbage beside any 911 variant.

Cody D
02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
I think the S2000 and Elise are both overrated, the weak engines really let them both down. I don't think the NSX is overrated, it's still one of the cars that I regret selling, it was a great all around car.

The vehicle that I've always been consistently impressed with is the Porsche 911, I'm on my third one now and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

Kloubek
02-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Elise underrated? I mean, I know their engines are typical gutless Toyota, but their power to weight ratio is so impressive they have decent performance and amazing handling. And I believe the S2000 had the highest power per displacement of any naturally aspirated engine of that time.

And yet you don't think the NSX is overrated? Quick enough during the time, so many cars beat it by today's standards, yet they still go for 30g. With that said, it's always been one of my favs.

And CMW403, I gotta disagree with you. The mid engine configuration of the boxster feels a bit more balanced to me than the 911. (Which I've only driven twice). And you must have some really specific tastes if you think this looks like a "pile of garbage". I think this is sexy as hell:

http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/porsche/porsche_boxster_s_2009_01_s.jpg

Phatdhad
02-25-2012, 05:08 PM
LOL....lots of talk on the Genesis.

I own one and I think its overrated.
especially the 2.0T in stock mode...its as slow as a slug.
It handles well but you still have a good handling slug!!

The 3.8 is almost out of the overrated category.
with the 2013 coming out with 350Bhp it may stop being an overrated car. rumors are a supercharged 3.8 with 450 will hit the market shortly after the 2013's come out.

that said.....
the 2.0T is also underrated when it comes to putting on mods. a fully built 2.0T can hit the 700WHP+ mark and still costs about the same as a bonestock EVO.

I bought it for this purpose.......plus it looks good and there are not a lot of them on the street yet.

for my most underrated car.....I would have to say the Pontiac G8

(removed link to wrong dyno pic lol)

kvg
02-25-2012, 05:45 PM
I didn't really like the Elise either. I drove my bosses and it sucked to dive because it was so harsh, but man could that thing handle.

Cody D
02-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Elise underrated? I mean, I know their engines are typical gutless Toyota, but their power to weight ratio is so impressive they have decent performance and amazing handling. And I believe the S2000 had the highest power per displacement of any naturally aspirated engine of that time.

And yet you don't think the NSX is overrated? Quick enough during the time, so many cars beat it by today's standards, yet they still go for 30g. With that said, it's always been one of my favs.

You would think that the Elise's performance would be good with the weight so low, I weighed mine at the truck weigh station between Calgary and Airdrie and it was only 1910lbs, but even after I added the Revolution 310 supercharger kit from BOE it still didn't blow me away, the best I could get was 12.7 @ 112mph. I'm sure the handling is amazing but I never really got to experience it on a decent track, if I lived near a nice circuit with no long straights I'm sure I would have kept it.

As for the S2000, power/displacement doesn't mean anything if there is no torque, I've only test drove one and I didn't have any interest in it after that.

As far as the NSX is concerned I enjoyed it while I owned it, it was also underpowered but I liked the experience more than the Elise.

Disoblige
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Phatdhad

that said.....
the 2.0T is also underrated when it comes to putting on mods. a fully built 2.0T can hit the 700WHP+ mark and still costs about the same as a bonestock EVO.

I bought it for this purpose.......plus it looks good and there are not a lot of them on the street yet.

for my most underrated car.....I would have to say the Pontiac G8
(posted a built Genesis 2.0T dyno chart)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/PANGSTUFF/Honda%20S2000%20PFAB/photo.jpg

You do know the picture says "2000 S2000" on the dyno chart right? And if you look at the link to your picture it says "http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/PANGSTUFF/Honda%20S2000%20PFAB/photo.jpg"..

Why did you think this was a dyno chart for a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T?

dXSkefh8bQA

Phatdhad
02-25-2012, 06:32 PM

You do know the picture says "2000 S2000" on the dyno chart right? And if you look at the link to your picture it says "http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/PANGSTUFF/Honda%20S2000%20PFAB/photo.jpg"..

Why did you think this was a dyno chart for a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T?

dXSkefh8bQA

My bad....saw someone post this up as a genesis dyno.
you are correct....its for a Honda!

Disoblige
02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Either way, I have seen bolt on turbo kits you can buy that give the 2.0T 300+ WHP, so I agree that cheap (reliable) power can be made on them.

Phatdhad
02-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Either way, I have seen bolt on turbo kits you can buy that give the 2.0T 300+ WHP, so I agree that cheap (reliable) power can be made on them.

It seems 350whp is the max without doing internals.
some builds are getting 6-700 whp fully built.

Toma
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by vengie

And they love eating belts... I switched from the supplied gator back belt to a gates belt, helped a little.

Good luck with it! Car will fly
not mine.... I just dyno tested a before n after for the boys at rps.

Toma
02-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by kvg

now that the 350zs are cheap..... I would consider a 350, upgrade motor (springs rods pistons}turbo, haltech. Would be a cheap easy 500 rwhp nice daily driver.

Canucks3322
02-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by kvg

On my 3rd, 04 Murano, 04 350z, and now 03 G35 Coupe:thumbsup:

Rhystar
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Mugen rr - overrated

Have heard quite a few people saying they want one or that we should get them in canada.. Lol... After watching track videos and whatnot... Its defs a huge letdown for me... Would much rather get an ep3 lol

Redlined_8000
02-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Anything Mugen is overrated pretty much lol.

kvg
02-25-2012, 11:09 PM

now that the 350zs are cheap..... I would consider a 350, upgrade motor (springs rods pistons}turbo, haltech. Would be a cheap easy 500 rwhp nice daily driver.

I read you can get a rwd ex35 with a stick in the US

Redlyne_mr2
02-26-2012, 01:44 AM
ae86, nsx,

Sentry
02-26-2012, 02:19 AM
AE86, NSX, S2000, Elise, etc. are about driving experience, not numbers. They are just fun to thrash. That's what sports cars are all about, at least according to European/Japanese standards.

The north american view of the sports car is skewed.

I've had more fun in my 100hp Corolla that I've owned for 3 weeks than I did in my 12 second Civic I owned for 3 years.

r3ccOs
02-26-2012, 02:21 AM
though not bad, I think overrated:
e46 m3
genesis
r8
wrx/sti
silvia
gti
any of the hemi's

underrated:
cobalt ss turbo
c30 t5
pontiac GTO (06)
trailblazer ss
s60 R
sl55 - fastest car i've been in our elevation
svt lightening

Sentry
02-26-2012, 02:30 AM
I'll agree with Silvia/S chassis as being overrated.

Mine handled like dogshit, they're only good as drift beaters. Or in Toma's case, drag beaters.

mr2mike
02-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

sl55 - fastest car i've been in our elevation

Easily spanked one up to 180km/h

svt lightning

Agreed for a truck. excellent performance.

rob the knob
02-26-2012, 09:03 AM
mazda miata
http://www.ohmygodracing.com/wp-content/images/oh-my-god-racing-miata.jpg

Maxt
02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Sentry
AE86, NSX, S2000, Elise, etc. are about driving experience, not numbers. They are just fun to thrash. That's what sports cars are all about, at least according to European/Japanese standards.

The north american view of the sports car is skewed.

I've had more fun in my 100hp Corolla that I've owned for 3 weeks than I did in my 12 second Civic I owned for 3 years.
Yes, many of the car with lower numbers are excellent chassis's that are not powerhouses, but are balanced well..
Many people shit on the RX8, for its low numbers here , including myself, but its because we have a one dimensional view of its performance because we generally just street drive them here. Watch it on a road course track against some of the big power number vaunted performance cars, it can hold its own, and is faster than cars you would expect to destroy it.. Same goes for the NSX, such a stiff , well built chassis, makes my FC feel like its made of pudding..

Toma
02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
I'll agree with Silvia/S chassis as being overrated.

Mine handled like dogshit, they're only good as drift beaters. Or in Toma's case, drag beaters.

The S chassis is very good. The stock suspension/brakes sucks.

It's one of those cars that's a good platform for lots of things, but takes work to get it there.

Light, pop can thin sheetmetal, but good overall stiffness.

Toma
02-26-2012, 02:33 PM

any of the hemi's

Tough to say, sure lots of hype and "reputation" to live upto.

But driving one daily, they are awesome cars. The instant torque, effortless comfortable cruising in a fullsize 4200 pound car (ie, like my Charger or any LX platform).....

The VERY cool thing is the wicked suspension geometry. These things with just a little suspension work and decent tires can hit almost a G in the skid circle, and that is frikkin impressive for a heavy ass family car.

Gas mileage around the city is not so good, but I get 28 US mpg on the highway, which is awesome for big boat.

CUG
02-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Under-rated:
1.8T Jetta's, for a small amount of mods I hit a 14.2 in my friends jetta (I can't launch FWD for shit) pulled on an RT10 with it though.

RX-8's

Over-rated:
ALL DSM's
Any SL's with the 5L. 302hp for (what used to be) a 100k car? Nope. They handle amazingly and they're torquey in first gear, but leave too much to be desired in 2nd and 3rd. I drag raced a family member in their ML550 and lost; that's sad.

sr20s14zenki
02-26-2012, 02:45 PM

not mine.... I just dyno tested a before n after for the boys at rps.

Very impressed with that car. 370 whp...thats 30 away from claimed.

s13 may be overrated, as sentry said, but s14 is awesome. Apparently a lot of the changes made to it, were in the name of balance. Ever see an s14 fuel tank?Its like a saddle over the axle. Half on one side of the car, half on the other. Its a known fact, that the s14 chassis is one of Keiichi Tsuchiya's favorites, for balance and handling ability.

r3ccOs
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM

Tough to say, sure lots of hype and "reputation" to live upto.

But driving one daily, they are awesome cars. The instant torque, effortless comfortable cruising in a fullsize 4200 pound car (ie, like my Charger or any LX platform).....

The VERY cool thing is the wicked suspension geometry. These things with just a little suspension work and decent tires can hit almost a G in the skid circle, and that is frikkin impressive for a heavy ass family car.

Gas mileage around the city is not so good, but I get 28 US mpg on the highway, which is awesome for big boat.

well that's just it... for me, I like and respect the engine...
the Chasis, though late model E series, I found to be boat like in even RT trim, but perhaps possible that with new springs and dampeners its better

i don't like the fit and finish at all, though that's not what you're paying for, but the 300c is just so blah on the inside

now going back to it all, alot of engines have potential...

yes, the VW 1.8R engine, VR6, datsun's SR20, sub's EJ engines all have "potential" but to me... that means that they were built to widthstand the lifecycle of the vehicle and we're not talking about modified vehicles

A 2.0L engine boosted to well over 150+ hp per liter with a small or hybrid turbo, even well cooled, isn't usually going to boast high reliablity, let alone the fact that you are certainally going to deal with lag, being that the sheer displacement of the engine usually won't garner enough exhaust to turn an upgraded turbo at low rpm

whereas... a foxbody mustang with a simple r&p upgrade, breather/speed density mods (i.e. H pipes, headers, CAI) and tires will quickly run into the low 13's in the quarter and other than the R&P ratio change, will usually even bold better fuel economy and yet retain the same level of reliabliity

maybe its the argument of Naturally aspriated vs Forced injection but anytime you're dealing with adding power strictly via boost and cooling, you will strain engine componants probably greater than any other non forced induction bolt on
I guess people do, do it right, and will adjust the heads, timing/cams, and beef up other internals like connecting rods, valve lifters/springs up... but by that point, is it really that the "Block" has that much potential, or any more than any other decently designed block?

Darkane
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Anything Mugen is overrated pretty much lol.

'87 Mugen civic?