PDA

View Full Version : Installing Hardwood on uneven subfloor?

B20EF
02-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I ripped up the old particle board subfloor that was over thi slat flooring.
I have 1/2" plywood as the new subfloor. My issue is that on the outside walls there is a 2*4 running along the edge of the wall. In some spots it is as much as 3/8" higher than the slat floorboards. The slats are level. If i put the plywood to the edge it will not be level.

How do you solve this? I was thinking might have to sand it down all the way around the perimeter which will be a huge pain in the ass. What do you carpenters do?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/b18c_ek/photo3-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/b18c_ek/photo2-2.jpg

blitz
02-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I'd put the 1/2" plywood only over the slats (come right to the 2x4) and then use thinner plywood/shims to bring the 2x4 up to the plywood level.

C_Dave45
02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by blitz
I'd put the 1/2" plywood only over the slats (come right to the 2x4) and then use thinner plywood/shims to bring the 2x4 up to the plywood level.
^ This.

Kloubek
02-24-2012, 11:41 PM
To play devil's advocate here.... yes, putting a thinner support on the 2X4 would be the proper way to do it. However, if one was so inclined, I think they could even let the hardwood overhang the slightly lower 2X4 area because I can't imagine there would be a lot of pressure on the very outer edge of the floor would there? It would never be walked on...

barmanjay
02-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
To play devil's advocate here.... yes, putting a thinner support on the 2X4 would be the proper way to do it. However, if one was so inclined, I think they could even let the hardwood overhang the slightly lower 2X4 area because I can't imagine there would be a lot of pressure on the very outer edge of the floor would there? It would never be walked on...

^^^ This ^^^

Butt your ply up to the 2x4. over hang your hardwood over the 2x4. you can easily shim the overhang vs shimming 4x8 sheets of ply or sanding the 2x4 if you are not comfortable with the overhang.

Beyond consensus attained!

garnet
02-25-2012, 02:11 AM
that's only 1/8th inch difference, which shiming can easily make up where needed

during install of 1/2 ply glue and screw, typically i like to use a longer level, and use it as you secure the sub floor down, for best result, as with anything the better your base, the better the finish

B20EF
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I think consensus wins. I will butt the plywood up to the 2*4. Shimming will just be a pain too because it has such a variance. Sometimes level, then 1/4" for a few slats, then 3/8" for a few slats.
I'll probably chisel away strips of plywood as shims.

And yes garnet the plan was glue and screw, thanks for the tip. I only have the 4 foot level though, Not sure if I want to buy a 6' or 8' just for one job.

masoncgy
02-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
Not sure if I want to buy a 6' or 8' just for one job.

Meh, just make sure the place you buy it from has a return policy and take it back when you're done.

;)

garnet
02-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
I think consensus wins. I will butt the plywood up to the 2*4. Shimming will just be a pain too because it has such a variance. Sometimes level, then 1/4" for a few slats, then 3/8" for a few slats.
I'll probably chisel away strips of plywood as shims.

And yes garnet the plan was glue and screw, thanks for the tip. I only have the 4 foot level though, Not sure if I want to buy a 6' or 8' just for one job.

sounds like you got a handle on it, the longer level is just for using as a straight edge to see high/low spots as you secure the floor down

a cheap one could be had from kijiji or pawn possibly

good luck