PDA

View Full Version : montoya rearends jet dryer

rob the knob
02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
http://tampabay.sbnation.com/2012/2/27/2829666/video-2012-daytona-500-juan-pablo-montoya-crash-fuel-truck-fire

SJW
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I just watched that. Crazy they all walked away.

rob the knob
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/977632/Fuel_Fire_Daytona_500.gif

nismodrifter
02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
crazy shit

speedog
02-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Bizarre - something broke on his car during a caution and he spun up into the jet dryer.

01RedDX
02-27-2012, 10:15 PM

xnvy
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Damn that`s scary, glad the driver of the jet dryer got out in time.

speedog
02-27-2012, 10:23 PM
And Brad Keselowski ‏ @keselowski is tweeting from the track during the red flag - had his phone in his car.

speedog
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Tweeted from Daytona during the red flag...

http://p.twimg.com/AmtWD3yCMAAoLIa.jpg:large

Graham_A_M
02-27-2012, 10:39 PM
WTF, were cars allowed on the track the same time as the fuel trucks? or did I miss something here?

Those cars are quite hard to control surprisingly enough, allowing both on the track at the same time (given the cars speeds) really is like playing with fire obviously.

speedog
02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Wasn't a fuel truck - Montoya had something break on his car, he spun and collided with a truck towing a jet dryer. eventually resulting in the jet dryer's leaking fuel catching fire as well as the truck's leaking diesel catching fire.

Truck was on the track blowing off stuff from another incident that caused the yellow.

SKR
02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
WTF, were cars allowed on the track the same time as the fuel trucks? or did I miss something here?

Those cars are quite hard to control surprisingly enough, allowing both on the track at the same time (given the cars speeds) really is like playing with fire obviously.

They're not at race speed (190-200mph). Normally they'd be at pace car speed (60-70mph, I'm guessing), but Montoya was trying to catch up with the rest of the field so he was probably going maybe 100-120mph. Maybe they said during the red flag how fast he was going, but I didn't hear it. Anyway, it's never been an issue and wouldn't have been this time either if Montoya's rear wheels hadn't locked up at that exact spot on a 2.5 mile track.

Two race cars crashing into each other is bad enough, but I don't think that truck would have any special seats or restraining system for the driver. That's like you getting pounded on the highway in a regular vehicle. Which would hurt, a lot. I'm surprised the driver was able to walk away.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by SKR

Two race cars crashing into each other is bad enough, but I don't think that truck would have any special seats or restraining system for the driver. That's like you getting pounded on the highway in a regular vehicle. Which would hurt, a lot. I'm surprised the driver was able to walk away.

From the look of the truck's driver-side door, Montoya may have sideswiped the jet trailer and truck rather than rear-end it, hence why he spun off into the grass instead of stopping dead at the truck. Luckily for the crew!

syritis
02-28-2012, 05:06 AM
"There is not a true training manual to light a track on fire and respond to it," track president Joie Chitwood III said. "There's no way to do that. "

WUT?

so they never considered the fire hazard of hundreds of gallons of jet, diesel and race fuel at a race track during america's most famous race?

this whole incident screams of terrible safety measures. all of nascar just bewilders me on how they can operate with the logic they posses.
"our drivers are getting injured"
"add more to the roll cage"
"that'll increase the inertia of the vehicle"
"we'll bank the corners so they don't have to slow down as much"
"good thinking sir"