PDA

View Full Version : Sonopan

89coupe
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Has anyone used this stuff?

http://www.materiauxspecl.com/produit.php?id=1

Saw it at the H&G Show and it seemed too good to be true.

C_Dave45
02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Huh. Looks good. Wonder what the cost is compared to typical insulation.

89coupe
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Huh. Looks good. Wonder what the cost is compared to typical insulation.

The guy at the show mentioned $23/sheet (4x8). Rona sells it.

CapnCrunch
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't really understand what it's supposed to do?

They show it installed with batt insulation, resilient channels, and double layers of 5/8" drywall on one side, which pretty much eliminates most noises and provides plenty of insulation...

ExtraSlow
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
There's also that double layer drywall, "quietroc" or something.

89coupe
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
I don't really understand what it's supposed to do?

They show it installed with batt insulation, resilient channels, and double layers of 5/8" drywall on one side, which pretty much eliminates most noises and provides plenty of insulation...

I have two layers of Roxul Safe'n'Sound, resilient channel and drywall and I still hear my HT room.

Cheeba
03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Sonopan is not going to affect the STC of a wall assembly much. You'd be better off just tossing another layer of 5/8" drywall up. Basically, don't do whatever contractors and retail employees tell you; seek the advice of studio and theatre builders.

Originally posted by 89coupe

I have two layers of Roxul Safe'n'Sound, resilient channel and drywall and I still hear my HT room.

Did you treat your walls, ducts, lights, doors, outlets, every wall, etc.? Of course nothing is going to be sound 'proof', but trying to reduce sound transmission is a decidedly complex problem that requires much attention to detail. I'm currently rebuilding my basement - which will contain a non-dedicated theatre - from a complete gut and the amount of work I've done to address all the 'weak' points is crazy :)

cet
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm doing the same thing with a dedicated theater. For the ceiling I have 2 layers of roxul, Whisper clips, Hat channel, layer of 3/4 OSB, Green Glue, and another layer of 5/8 Drywall. Any of the penetrations in the wall (lights, outlets, switches, etc.) were either brought inside the room or have backer boxes. Side walls were decoupled from the house and have a layer of 3/4 OSB, Green glue and another layer of 5/8 Drywall. HVAC was treated specially and the doors will be solid. For the inside of the room I have a bunch of other accoustical treatments, but that's more to controll the sound inside the room. I've put more work into controlling the sound in the theater than I have into the other half of the basement.

benyl
03-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Did you get solid core doors?

It makes a huge difference in our house.