PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mazda 3 Sport GS+Sky

codetrap
02-28-2012, 08:43 AM
We're looking at 2012 Mazda 3 Sport GSSky +GS-L as a daily driver since we're finally getting to the point of needed a second car. Anyone have one? Reviews? How's it for rear space? We're gonna have to put a car seat in the back. Will it take a decent roof rack? I've already got a box for the Outlander, and would like to put it on the Mazda if possible. Is the mileage as good as the 55Mpg that they're saying, yet still fun to drive?

I haven't had a chance to go and physically look at one yet, but from the online research I've done, it seems like a pretty good overall value. I am ruling out the MazdaSpeed mostly due to cost, I already have one gas guzzler. :P

Aleks
02-28-2012, 09:46 AM
If you have to put a child seat in the back of one I think you'll find that it won't work if you're anywhere near 6 foot tall. Mazda 3 has probably the least space in the back out of any car in its class.

Fun cars to drive though. Skyactiv hasn't been around long enough to see if it really is great on gas but from you see with other cars in this segment I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near what the Canadian fuel ratings are. Use USA ratings and you'll be much closer.

edit that 55mpg is a marketing gimmick. That's imperial mpg. The car will do 40us mpg on the highway, low 30s city as per EPA.

codetrap
03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Hmm.. ok. Any other suggestions? My top end price range is $25k and I want it all. :) Fun to drive, good tech/audio package, and enough room in the back to put my daughter in her car seat. Leather is a must as well, so that pretty much rules out the Toyota Matrix... I simply don't want to have to try and clean kid puke out of cloth again. Far too time consuming. I am also pretty solid on that I want a hatch, as I have a largish dog that will sometimes be required to go for rides in it.

So, other suggestions and why?

revelations
03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Take a look at the new Focus hatch, its been getting good reviews - although I dont know if it comes with leather.

schocker
03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I also like the focus in this segment. I know my aunt bought a 3 sedan last year and it was about $25k yet it had little to no options, I was blown away.

freshprince1
03-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Having recently sold my Mazda3, I can't say that it is a great little car. Mine was older, but they've only gotten better since then, and it was a blast to drive. It far out-handled all the other cars I drove in that class. It also had way more options than comparably priced Civics, Golfs..etc.

Several times we packed up the kids into the Mazda for a road trip to save on gas (our other car is an Envoy). We easily fit two full sized carseats in the back, though it did get snug.

Make sure it fits your space requirements, besides that, you'll love everything else about it. I had the GT with manual tranny and loved driving it.

Good luck!