PDA

View Full Version : Rich, educated people more likely to lie, cheat

Manhattan
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/02/27/science-class-ethics.html

Côté and collaborators at the University of California, Berkeley, were interested in finding out whether the way people think and act on a day-to-day basis is affected by their financial resources, education and job.

They found that under all the circumstances they tested, the higher "class" someone was, the greater their tendency to engage in "socially inappropriate" or, in the case of drivers, illegal behaviour. However, they noted, these were overall tendencies and could not be used to predict the behaviour of individuals.

The class differences were most pronounced in an experiment involving 152 California drivers who were classified according to the type of car they drove: Those with the most expensive cars were 50 per cent more likely than those with "average" cars to cut off a pedestrian trying to cross the street, even though drivers in the state are required by law to yield to pedestrians.

However, "moderate" class effects were seen in other scenarios, where participants:

Rated their likelihood of engaging in different types of unethical behaviour.
Decided how much candy to take from a jar when the rest was destined to be given to children.
Chose whether to tell the truth during negotiation of a salary.
Were tested to see whether they would cheat to increase chances of winning a prize.
Such "moderate" effects are "still pretty impactful if you see that on a day-to-day basis," Côté said.

heavyfuel
02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Well duhhhhh geez some rich people (not all, settle down, put the pitchforks away...) sincerely do think their shit don't stink... case in point, this ass clown I saw a while back. Shoulda seen his superstar driving skills, on the phone the whole time.

[IMG]http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/douchebag.jpg[IMG]

CUG
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Manhattan is more likely than I am to copy reddit front page material to Beyond.

Mibz
02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Isn't there another version of the article that includes data showing that Prius drivers are assholes? Not that we needed any more data to support that conclusion.

CUG
02-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Well duhhhhh geez some rich people (not all, settle down, put the pitchforks away...) sincerely do think their shit don't stink... case in point, this ass clown I saw a while back. Shoulda seen his superstar driving skills, on the phone the whole time.

[IMG]http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/douchebag.jpg[IMG] That should say "GTTHISATOKSHN" or "ITSMCUZNSBRO, WALLA"

SlickA70
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
TtaXZ8aC_Lg

CanmoreOrLess
02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
I believe it, type-A personality combined with an inferiority complex can do wicked things in the douche area. Then again, I think most people will do the wrong thing when they able to get away with it. The real winners are those who do it under the microscope and really do not give a fuck. I'm talking to you Range Rover soccer mom who almost ran me over in the crosswalk, lay down the phone twat.

HiTempguy1
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
I think it's because rich, educated people know how to win. And winning is a hell of a lot easier when not following the rules :dunno:

Not saying you can't, but everyone is looking for that edge. It's like a millionaire getting caught evading taxes, it's like "really? You're a friekin' millionaire!"

I ignore a lot of rules of the road, simply because they are stupid and unnecessary.

Skyline_Addict
02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
this is completely untrue.

SEE WHAT I DID THAR? HAHA.

Sugarphreak
02-28-2012, 01:58 PM

arian_ma
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I can think of very few times I've been wronged by somebody on the middle or upper class side... aside from perhaps the bank trying to sell me mortgage life insurance that was 10 times more expensive than regular insurance.
The best part is that you think you've never been wronged by the rich while they pile drive your asshole daily. This quote should be added to the study.

Sugarphreak
02-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Q-TIP
02-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Could it be that you tend to be wronged by lower/middle class people more often because there are more of them?

For every person who is making $200,000 there are 200 people making <$50,000. My numbers are drawn from thin air but are intended to drive home a point.

Of course everyone on Beyond is baller rich and self-made :nut:

black13
02-28-2012, 10:28 PM
"There are three ways to make a living in this business: Be first,be smarter or cheat.”

heavyfuel
02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Study sounds like complete and utter bullshit

For instance one of the 7 studies
&quot;One of the experiments found that California drivers in expensive cars were 50 per cent more likely than those with 'average' cars to cut off a pedestrian trying to cross the street. &quot;

... in each case all were lower class NE types.

I can think of very few times I've been wronged by somebody on the middle or upper class side...

Since you categorize NE types as "lower class" is it so far-fetched to believe that maybe you feel you were almost never wronged by somebody on the middle or upper class, simply because you're one of them? Nothing wrong with being middle/upper class, just saying, wtf makes you so much better than the next guy just 'cause you don't live in the NE?

CapnCrunch
02-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Since you categorize NE types as &quot;lower class&quot; is it so far-fetched to believe that maybe you feel you were almost never wronged by somebody on the middle or upper class, simply because you're one of them? Nothing wrong with being middle/upper class, just saying, wtf makes you so much better than the next guy just 'cause you don't live in the NE?

Stereotyping rich people = okay
Stereotyping NE people = not okay

Lol

ZenOps
02-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I think its untrue. Poor uneducated people lie and cheat all the time, its just that it never hits the news because its not scaled in enough dollars to turn anyones head.

I mean look at Rob Anders, he lies and cheats all the time.

max_boost
02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/210/119/+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

clem24
02-29-2012, 09:35 AM

turbotrip
02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

while they pile drive your asshole daily.

LOL you've got a way with words my friend

CapnCrunch
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I think its untrue. Poor uneducated people lie and cheat all the time, its just that it never hits the news because its not scaled in enough dollars to turn anyones head.

Agreed.

I give you exhibit "A",

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/349906/problem-with-ron-revolution/

Sugarphreak
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Type_S1
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM

As far as the NE goes... just saying, I don't worry about getting mugged, scammed, stolen from or cheated as much when I am elsewhere in the city.

If your worried about this at all anywhere you need to clean the sand out of your V...:nut:

Sugarphreak
02-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Type_S1
02-29-2012, 03:20 PM

fixed ;)

You know you try so hard at jokes...but I can tell it doesn't come naturally to you. I can't wait for one that is actually funny :poosie:

I can only picture you in real life...nerdy scrawny guy that grew up in the south on mommies nipples until he was 25 :rofl:

As for these studies...they seem retarded with no real evidence

max_boost
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Nice. I've noticed the back and forth between sugarphreak and type_s1 haha keep it up bras!

Sugarphreak
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

frizzlefry
02-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm pretty sure there are a plethora of studies that show children and toddlers lie the most. It's our nature to manipulate, some are better at it than others and become very rich. Some suck at it and do not become rich. The smarter you are, the easier it is. This article is just a way for the author to piss on rich people.

Type_S1
03-01-2012, 02:07 AM

I have to admit, I do rely on you a lot more for the comic relief

Glad we at least agree on the studies, lol

Glad it's mutual then...

Let's meet for coffee and solve our differences...then the ghetto ne guy can meet the mommies nipple south guy :poosie:

Sugarphreak
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Antonito
03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Study sounds like complete and utter bullshit

For instance one of the 7 studies
&quot;One of the experiments found that California drivers in expensive cars were 50 per cent more likely than those with 'average' cars to cut off a pedestrian trying to cross the street. &quot;

Seriously? This counts as the definitive study to measure the entire human race against... a bunch of dicks driving &quot;expensive&quot; cars in California?
Do you have any statistical reasons why this study is not valid? It sounds like you just don't like the results and thus something you don't like = bullshit

99% of the time when I have been wronged or lied to in an attempt to extort money, it is by somebody who isn't rich at all. Amway or Citigroup reps, crooked mechanics, old freinds from high school, con artists, door to door scams, car salesmen... in each case all were lower class NE types.

I can think of very few times I've been wronged by somebody on the middle or upper class side... aside from perhaps the bank trying to sell me mortgage life insurance that was 10 times more expensive than regular insurance.

This is a very small scale sense of things. One example: your buddy stole your rent and you're still bitter about it 10 years later over $400 (or whatever amount it was). This is a logical reaction, and goes into the column of "lower class people did shit to me"

(of note is the fact that you could have avoided this by not living with someone you knew was less than stellar as a person)

However, one example of rich people fucking you over: banks/investors pushing profit margins so close to the bleeding edge that the global economy exploded. Instant reaction is a bottoming out of oil prices (your stocks plummeted, most people in your field got fired, you took a paycut, work slowed meaning less overtime), real estate prices (the ROI for your condo was significantly less than it would have been earlier). Not so immediate effects were bailouts that will be taken from you in the form of taxes (which you never mention when complaining about taxes, somehow million dollar bonuses are not as egregious as paying someone enough to live in a shack and eat kraft dinner) as well as all the other fees/taxes that will be needed to pay off the millions of people unemployed due to the economic downturn

This has cost you personally at the very least tens of thousands of dollars.

Also of note is the fact that this was unavoidable to you personally.

Your reaction? "Rich people never did shit to me"...:dunno:

The main difference seems to be that you need someone literally in your face doing stuff before you will acknowledge it

Sugarphreak
03-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Antonito
03-01-2012, 11:21 PM

Here is a guy I'd like to meet in real life for coffee sometime! lol

Ok, sure if you somehow think a random sample of cars by price cutting off pedestrians in California is a sure fire way to figure out the values of rich VS poor; well i don't know what to say as that is just asinine to take that at face value... even for you.

Firstly rich people don't always necessarily drive expensive cars, and more often than not people that are in debt up to their ears do... so how is that reflected accurately?

The entire article is written by a group of activist Joe Shmoe's and intended just to shit on &quot;rich&quot; people.
Yes, when you omit a bunch of information, add in red herrings and then create an arbitrary bias, I can imagine it would be hard to take something seriously.

Secondly, when I do business with a bank, I understand that they will be making &quot;X&quot; amount of dollars on my loans and investments... thus that is part of business. I don't have to deal with them, I choose to... this is pretty much the exact opposite of being stuck up with a gun or lied to in an attempt to extort money.

Without the bank I wouldn't have been able to go to school, take a loan for my first house, invest large amounts of money somewhere that won't get ransacked by thugs. The only thing the big bad rich banks have done for me is enable to get an education, relocate to where I can get work and build a comfortable and stable lifestyle. In return they earned a profit for the business... try to get the same deal out of Jimmy crackhead and you will likely end up getting stabbed with a needle contaminated with HIV.

So you've established that you understand how a bank works, and that you don't engage crackheads in ridiculous scenarios....bravo? None of this addresses the point that there are other things done which factor into this. Banks do X and Y, not either/or.

Also it's ironic that everything you've described is also directly attributable to the government. Something to think about next time you're crying about people suckling off your precious taxes

As for the big bad rich people indirectly costing me &quot;tens of thousands&quot;... not so, despite the fact I took a very sizable wage cut and had to work my ass off to stay employed... I bought a fantastic house for basically half-off in the recession, got a great deal on a new vehicle, and got a insanely low interest rate on my house. If anything those big bad rich people created fantastic investment opportunities. Of course I wasn't off crying in my beer over my wage cut to miss it.

Yeah I'm still not seeing it. Breaking even on the housing (lose on apartment, gain on house), getting a deal on the car and getting a slightly better interest rate doesn't seem like a good trade off for reduced wages, lost investments and higher taxes.

Basically take your ability to find good deals, add in a bunch more money from increased wages, non-tanked investments, and lower taxes, and you'd be better off today than you actually are.

Oh and this...
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/350097/former-mru-students-association-president-charged-with-bank-robbery/ If you're trying to make the bank look like the victim of lower class people, doesn't work. Again, X does not cancel out Y. Someone robbing a bank does not negate banks crashing the economy

If you're talking about your ridiculous post where you assume liberals would defend her: Couldn't care less. She robbed a bank. Stealing is one of the basic threats to a civil society. Not cool

Sugarphreak
03-02-2012, 08:44 AM

arian_ma
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
We are spoiled rotten in our day to day lives compared to most of the people in the world and even compared to our parents and especially grandparents... yet just like spoiled brats all you can do is complain and moan about every little thing, most of which is affecting us indirectly and has little consiquence on our lives. Yeah sure, keep blaming &quot;rich educated&quot; people for your hard life. Last time I checked &quot;the man&quot; is usually the one signing your paychecks.
I don't know what the hell you are talking about. No one is complaining here, just pointing out the delusion which you are trying to pass of as truth because either you are a) pissed off at poor people because they did something bad to you ages ago, or b) you consider yourself part of the rich and don't want your "good name" to be slandered by a "bogus" study. Like I said, and Antonio explained clearly, rich people have only gotten to where they are by fucking you.

Your delusion is that you only associate "lies and stealing" with physical forms of what you can see. They don't have to break your door down and steal your coffee table to be considered theft. Example; bankers screwed the economy, YOUR TAX DOLLARS bailed them out, they got bonuses. Do you consider this them improving your standard of living?

Sugarphreak
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM

clem24
03-02-2012, 03:37 PM
LOL I agree with Sugarphreak here.. Rich people are rich because they are very smart and work their asses off. Do rich people make money by fucking over the poor? Of course they do. They also make money off fucking over the middle class and the rich as well.

Do remember that Canada is very different than what is happening in the US. Do not confuse the 2. There were no bail outs of banks and no bonuses in Canada. In the US, they fucked over everyone with fraud, which is a completely different story.

Also, the government always gets something in return. The "bail outs" are either the gov't buying equity in the bank/company or goes on as a liability on said company's balance sheet. The bonuses in the US banks were bad not because they got "bailed out" and therefore paid by the taxpayer (which you seem to believe), but more on the principle that bonuses should not be paid out to underachieving/performing companies (i.e. especially ones that require bailing out).

Type_S1
03-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by clem24
LOL I agree with Sugarphreak here.. Rich people are rich because they are very smart and work their asses off. Do rich people make money by fucking over the poor? Of course they do. They also make money off fucking over the middle class and the rich as well.

Do remember that Canada is very different than what is happening in the US. Do not confuse the 2. There were no bail outs of banks and no bonuses in Canada. In the US, they fucked over everyone with fraud, which is a completely different story.

Also, the government always gets something in return. The &quot;bail outs&quot; are either the gov't buying equity in the bank/company or goes on as a liability on said company's balance sheet. The bonuses in the US banks were bad not because they got &quot;bailed out&quot; and therefore paid by the taxpayer (which you seem to believe), but more on the principle that bonuses should not be paid out to underachieving/performing companies (i.e. especially ones that require bailing out).

Rich people = smart or have some talent better then everyone else
Poor people = unintelligent with no real talent

Now I will caveat that by saying anyone can become rich, its peoples choices to stay poor 100%. Anyone can become smart or good at something poor people are just lazy as shit and like to blame others. :dunno:

Don't blame rich people for working harder and being smarter then you, do something to get yourself on a level playing field with them dumbasses :D

Darell_n
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Rich people = smart or have some talent better then everyone else
Poor people = unintelligent with no real talent

Now I will caveat that by saying anyone can become rich, its peoples choices to stay poor 100%. Anyone can become smart or good at something poor people are just lazy as shit and like to blame others. :dunno:

Don't blame rich people for working harder and being smarter then you, do something to get yourself on a level playing field with them dumbasses :D

Rich people value money most of all. They aren't necessary harder working or smarter, just harder working for money. As most of us know there is a lot more to life.

Anyway, my story for today. I was working in a certain supermarket in Woodbine that requires $.25 to unlock their shopping carts. Myself unlocking one in the parking lot to bring in my tools. Standing no farther than 10 ft away I watch an obviously well-to-do mother and her pre-teen son remove my clipboard and jacket (with my wallet) from my shopping cart and drop their shit into it leaving me their cart that has no quarter in it. Yes, they stole my fucking quarter. I walked up and told the kid, 'Hey you little thief.' Mom looks directly at me, then the two walk away and continue shopping like I am invisible. Notice them later in the parking lot loading into a new Range Rover. WTF is wrong with some people?

Type_S1
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n

Rich people value money most of all. They aren't necessary harder working or smarter, just harder working for money. As most of us know there is a lot more to life.

Anyway, my story for today. I was working in a certain supermarket in Woodbine that requires $.25 to unlock their shopping carts. Myself unlocking one in the parking lot to bring in my tools. Standing no farther than 10 ft away I watch an obviously well-to-do mother and her pre-teen son remove my clipboard and jacket (with my wallet) from my shopping cart and drop their shit into it leaving me their cart that has no quarter in it. Yes, they stole my fucking quarter. I walked up and told the kid, 'Hey you little thief.' Mom looks directly at me, then the two walk away and continue shopping like I am invisible. Notice them later in the parking lot loading into a new Range Rover. WTF is wrong with some people?

Well that damn supermarket is discriminating against rich people. When I carry $100 bills and platinum visa's how the hell am I supposed to pay for a damn shopping cart....:D

Darell_n
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Well that damn supermarket is discriminating against rich people. When I carry $100 bills and platinum visa's how the hell am I supposed to pay for a damn shopping cart....:D

She had an unlocked shopping cart that was missing the quarter. (and in perfect working order) Next time I'll yell out for everyone to hear that the kid stole my wallet. I'm not easily embarrassed, should be fun.