PDA

View Full Version : what would you guys do?

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 01:26 PM
so, this week i will definitely be picking up the new family vehicle, 2012 Dodge Journey R/T. now, my problem is i have 4 vehicles but only room for 3.

i need to sell one to fund my 1968 mustang project but i dont know which one. these are the 2 vehicles in question.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/001-8.jpg

i love the GT4 purely for how good it is in the winter, but the TL is no slouch either with winter tires.

i love the TL because its a much more luxury ride than the GT4 and much more "grown up" and i love the VIP look, which is ultimately what i want to do with it, where as i wont be touching the GT4 as far as mods go anymore.

either way it doesnt matter, as my wife wont be driving either one since whe will have the Journey to drive, im just torn myself.

any feedback is much appreciated, help sway my decision, ask any questions if it helps the process!

CanmoreOrLess
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Sell the GT4, anyone being forced into the back seat is hating the experience. If you have kids, two doors are terrible anyway. My two cents....

HiTempguy1
02-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Sell the GT4, anyone being forced into he back seat is hating the experience. If you have kids, two doors are terrible anyway. My two cents....

Screw the kids, you just bought a frikin Journey for god's sake. I guess you do have the Mustang, but the TL doesn't scream VIP, it screams grandma.

510-Trevor
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
The GT4 is nice, but I would keep the TL. A sedan is much more family friendly so you will actually be able to drive it.

Tomaz
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 510-Trevor
The GT4 is nice, but I would keep the TL. A sedan is much more family friendly so you will actually be able to drive it.

+1

If you have 2 toys, but only room for one, remove one toy.

G-ZUS
02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Keep the Ackurah

ronrey
02-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Shouldn't this be posted in first world problems?

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
i have a 3 year old that loves the GT4 and i won be having anymore kids so thats one reason im thinking of keeping it.

as far as the TL being grandpa, you're right, but its ok maybe not VIP, but close...heres a good example.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/viptl.jpg

Kloubek
02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
First world problems.

arian_ma
02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I would keep the TL personally, but since you just bought a journey there doesn't seem to be much need for the TL....If they're both essentially toys keep the one that's more fun.

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
^^thats my dilemma. for sure the GT4 is more fun, but ill have the Mustang and the TL is just a nice solid cruiser and will eventually be even nicer.

JRSC00LUDE
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Is the GT4 RHD? That would be my deciding factor.....

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
that it is sir and yes i know FWP lol

Mibz
02-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
my 1968 mustang project
but ill have the Mustang I have no opinion either way, but it seems to me that you expect to be driving your project car whenever you want. Ask yourself how accurate that assumption is.

Which is worse?
"Oh man, getting in the back seat is a pain"
"Oh man, I wish I could drive a fun car right now. It's a shame the Mustang is on jack stands"

I don't know how much of a project that Mustang is going to be but you don't have 2 fun cars unless both are drivable.

JRSC00LUDE
02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Or.....if you only have room for one, find a new "one" and sell them both to get it! haha

I guess it also depends how far off the mustang is. Is it cruising ready or are you a year or two off? If you don't have it ready then I'd likely keep the GT4, even in spite of the RHD (i just personally can't get into those....not that my personal feelings matter).

I'd keep track of the next ten or twenty times you go for the keys and see which ones you instinctively go for. That'll tell you which car you like to drive more. Just don't think about it first.

sillysod
02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
If you like buying transmissions and front ends the Acura is the way to go! especially if you really enjoy driving something with absolutely no soul.

I had a CL-S and it was the crappiest vehicle i've ever owned. FWD, clunking all the time in the front end and slippy tranny. The "luxury" interior IMO is on the same level as a Buick. The crappy grey plastic trim drove me nuts.

The GT4 is not trying to be anything it isn't and in your case I would keep it.

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I have no opinion either way, but it seems to me that you expect to be driving your project car whenever you want. Ask yourself how accurate that assumption is.

Which is worse?
"Oh man, getting in the back seat is a pain"
"Oh man, I wish I could drive a fun car right now. It's a shame the Mustang is on jack stands"

I don't know how much of a project that Mustang is going to be but you don't have 2 fun cars unless both are drivable.

i was hoping fo this summer, but unsure still as i havent decided on a color for it yet so i cant put it back together. also, my plan was to originally sell the GT4 for the mustang project, but then we bought the Journey so now i can pick between the 2 and neither one has to go any time soon as ive moved the mustang to another garage.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Or.....if you only have room for one, find a new "one" and sell them both to get it! haha

I guess it also depends how far off the mustang is. Is it cruising ready or are you a year or two off? If you don't have it ready then I'd likely keep the GT4, even in spite of the RHD (i just personally can't get into those....not that my personal feelings matter).

I'd keep track of the next ten or twenty times you go for the keys and see which ones you instinctively go for. That'll tell you which car you like to drive more. Just don't think about it first.

tehres no doubt in my mind for fun factor i would always take the GT4 keys, but i do also want to just cruise low and slow in a comfortable ride.

zipdoa
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Isn't maintenance on GT4's a bitch? Doesn't the clutch require 15hrs of labour to replace?

GT4's are a cool (abliet a bit girly) car, but I would sell both and get a more cost effective winter beater.

Masked Bandit
02-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Is there a booster seat in the back of the GT4? If not, will one fit?

You're going to have a toy (Mustang), dump the GT4 IMHO.

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
If you like buying transmissions and front ends the Acura is the way to go! especially if you really enjoy driving something with absolutely no soul.

I had a CL-S and it was the crappiest vehicle i've ever owned. FWD, clunking all the time in the front end and slippy tranny. The "luxury" interior IMO is on the same level as a Buick. The crappy grey plastic trim drove me nuts.

The GT4 is not trying to be anything it isn't and in your case I would keep it.

you hit the nail on the head with the tranny and front end stuff. although, i had my tranny repaired last year with "better than OEM junk" as they put it so im not worried about that and the front end, just now only the lower ball joints need replacing and thats the first time ever for this car.

its been reliable and it looks decent while its low and with nice wheels and it doesnt make me look like an 18 year old like the GT4 does haha both cars have things going for them, thats why its a hard choice.

i sold my MR2 and my lowrider and i totally regret it, so i want to be sure im going to do the right thing.

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Is there a booster seat in the back of the GT4? If not, will one fit?

You're going to have a toy (Mustang), dump the GT4 IMHO.

i have a baby seat in the back full time yes sir!

ercchry
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
TL is to VIP as sunfire is to sport compact

bourge73
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
well how much would you profit on each one of the sales? How much do you figure the Stang needs in work?

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
TL is to VIP as sunfire is to sport compact

LOL thanks, but im sure you guys know what i mean when i say VIP-ish. i want the ESSENCE of VIP and it can be had on this car..

Originally posted by bourge73
well how much would you profit on each one of the sales? How much do you figure the Stang needs in work?

oh i wont be profiting on either one lol Stang needs paint and to be put back together, other than the paint, ill be doing the rest myself-ish so any of the other $$ is going towards a couple of small "mods" for it.

ercchry
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM

LOL thanks, but im sure you guys know what i mean when i say VIP-ish. i want the ESSENCE of VIP and it can be had on this car..

then sell both and get a ucf11/21/31 or a y34 or a s-class or a gs300/400/430

no need to be the sunflower of your chosen scene :rofl:

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
LOL come on, its not THAT bad, youre gonna make me cry haha

JZS_147
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
^ i agree with charney

sell them both and buy something legit

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
NOOOOO!! lol i have 2 options, i dont want a third, then i have to start from scratch AND i have to try and sell 2 cars. im sticking to my guns on this one...i think. shutup Jimmy, leave me alone, if you would have sold me your Aristo we wouldnt be having this conversation! lol

sillysod
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
What is the mileage on said vehicles?

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
183xxx on the TL and 123xxx on the GT4

JZS_147
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
NOOOOO!! lol i have 2 options, i dont want a third, then i have to start from scratch AND i have to try and sell 2 cars. im sticking to my guns on this one...i think. shutup Jimmy, leave me alone, if you would have sold me your Aristo we wouldnt be having this conversation! lol

lol yeah no doubt.

it's for sale again if you want it :poosie:

HiSpec
How far away till the 'stang is finish?

03ozwhip
LOL you motherfucker haha for sale by you or your friend or what?

JZS_147
02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
it for sale by my friends gf lol

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
How far away till the 'stang is finish?

im not 100% sure, like i said, i have to figure out a paint scheme for it first, then after its painted i will start putting it back together. it all depends on my work schedule and other little things. could be as soon as this summer, as late as next summer.

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147
it for sale by my friends gf lol

unbelievably bad timing! ok ill bite, how much does she want and is the tranny fucked from her driving it? lol

bourge73
02-28-2012, 03:29 PM
well my 2 cents, sell the TL. No sense in having 2 boring vehicles (TL+Journey) :poosie:

Masked Bandit
02-28-2012, 03:36 PM

i have a baby seat in the back full time yes sir!

Then what do you need the TL for?

Sell both and buy something completely different???

JZS_147
02-28-2012, 03:41 PM

unbelievably bad timing! ok ill bite, how much does she want and is the tranny fucked from her driving it? lol

lol that's a possibility.

or you can buy my UCF21. sell it to you for CHEAP!

swak
02-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Sell both... Buy a bike :bigpimp:

... but theres good arguments on both sides to keep either cars.

Id personally probably keep the TL though, since you'll be building up a Mustang (being the sporty car in the group).
But that GT4 is damn sexy as well... and you'll have the Dodge, so at the same time having 2 sportier cars is definitely not bad either....

Reallllyyy hard to say what to do here.

btimbit
02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Hmm.. Two practical cars or two toys..... I'd go with more toys

03ozwhip
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147

lol that's a possibility.

or you can buy my UCF21. sell it to you for CHEAP!

bahhh youre a jerk. send me details lol only thing im worried about is winter driving, its still gotta be a good winter driver.

Originally posted by swak
Sell both... Buy a bike :bigpimp:

... but theres good arguments on both sides to keep either cars.

Id personally probably keep the TL though, since you'll be building up a Mustang (being the sporty car in the group).
But that GT4 is damn sexy as well... and you'll have the Dodge, so at the same time having 2 sportier cars is definitely not bad either....

Reallllyyy hard to say what to do here.

if i could i would, i miss my bike too :( but i have to have a practical all year round car unfortunately and if i have the stang, i cant have a bike.

ercchry
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
with a ucf21, just crank up the air suspension and toss on some winters... done

BokCh0y
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
i have an suv and had a 2 door convertible, as my toy. I drove both regularily with the vert sitting in the garage for winter.

i would take the vert out with the family as often as possible, but as my boys got bigger, the coupe started to become a nuisance with only 2 doors and super small back seat area. it came to a point where the kids would rather ride in the SUV then go topless with the wind blowing in their faces. i couldn't take the car out on vacations either, not enough room. it also was a bitch when going out for lunch or drinks with the friends and i was the driver...

so...i ended up selling the 2 door vert and picked up a 4 door sedan instead. still powerful like the tl, yet sporty.

i would suggest selling the gt4 and keeping the tl. or selling them both and picking up an IS300 or Maxima or something in line with a sport sedan. 330xi E46 would be great too, sporty and compact, yet enough room for a family without any bitching and awesome in snow.

good luck!!!

JZS_147
02-28-2012, 04:17 PM

bahhh youre a jerk. send me details lol only thing im worried about is winter driving, its still gotta be a good winter driver.

it's what i'm winter driving right now. swing by my place tonight

Proboscis
02-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Do whats right. Ill sell the Acura in a heartbeat.

03ozwhip
02-29-2012, 02:21 PM
so both cars are up for sale, we will see what happens...thanks everyone for your input, Jimmy, get on those pics!!

4doorj
02-29-2012, 04:51 PM
NOOOOO!! lol i have 2 options, i dont want a third, then i have to start from scratch AND i have to try and sell 2 cars.im sticking to my guns on this one...i think. shutup Jimmy, leave me alone, if you would have sold me your Aristo we wouldnt be having this conversation! lol

so both cars are up for sale, we will see what happens...thanks everyone for your input, Jimmy, get on those pics!!
:D That was easy for them to change your mind haha

03ozwhip
02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
LOL ya ya haha

freshprince1
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I'd sell the Acura. It doesn't really hold up to "VIP" status anymore as it's getting kind of old. It's a great car, but if the primary purpose is for VIP, I don't htink you'll get much of that. And, having just bought the Journey, you've got a family vehicle. Keep the GT4 for fun and sportiness...something that you'll definitely get out of it.

That's my opinion, since you asked.

:thumbsup:

Rat Fink
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM

BigBadVlad
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
well my 2 cents, sell the TL. No sense in having 2 boring vehicles (TL+Journey) :poosie:

+1 You'll regret getting rid of the fun, every day car.

Toyota Racing
03-02-2012, 11:54 PM
so both cars are up for sale, we will see what happens...thanks everyone for your input, Jimmy, get on those pics!! Whichever one gets sold first? Keep the one that doesn't get any buyers..

kvg
03-03-2012, 12:13 AM
I would keep the TL

spikerS
03-03-2012, 07:56 AM
I would sell the GT4, under the assumption it takes premium gas. the TL is a nice ride and with a couple mods would be pretty fun.

and just to hijack the thread, Cory, you switch cars more often than you change your freakin underwear! I don't think you will ever find "the right" car for you LOL!

baygirl
03-03-2012, 08:19 AM
You already have practical with the Journey, so sell the Acura and keep the GT4 for fun, especially since you don't know when the Mustang will be finished.

msommers
03-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Sell both.

Idiot Stick
03-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by baygirl
You already have practical with the Journey, so sell the Acura and keep the GT4 for fun, especially since you don't know when the Mustang will be finished.

This this this.

And you already said the Gt4 is a boss in the snow.

Neil4Speed
03-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Maybe sell both and pickup a 2004+ TL with the Dynamic/Brembo Package.

Tik-Tok
03-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by spikers
I would sell the GT4, under the assumption it takes premium gas.

I've never understood the "omg it takes premium gas" mentality...

Average summer car driving = 10,000km (or less), Average fuel economy = 10L/100km. 1000L over a summer with premium gas usually being $0.14 higher cost over regular

= $140 whopping dollars, and you get the bonus of not having ethanol shitting on your seals, that weren't designed for them.

03ozwhip
03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by spikers
I would sell the GT4, under the assumption it takes premium gas. the TL is a nice ride and with a couple mods would be pretty fun.

and just to hijack the thread, Cory, you switch cars more often than you change your freakin underwear! I don't think you will ever find "the right" car for you LOL!
BUT, the TL takes premium too! also, i know, i get bored really fast with pretty well everything. if i dont keep modding i gotta get rid of it, its a curse haha

like i said, im unsure of what i want to do, so i put them both up for sale. if i sell the gt4 first, then ill likely sell the TL as well, if i sell the TL first, its possible i might keep the GT4.....I DUNNO!! this thread hasnt helped me at all, in fact, its made my decision harder lol

spikerS
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
well, if they both take premium, i retract my previous thoughts.

I would then say, try to figure out a realistic timeline for your mustang to be road ready, then add 6 months.

If it is honestly going to be more than a year off, sell the TL. If you realistically think you can have it done sooner, i would sell the GT4.

03ozwhip
03-05-2012, 11:29 AM
ya, with some things that have been going on lately, i wont have time to do much with it i dont think, so it will probably be next summer it will be ready unfortunately.

cam_wmh
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Sell them both.

kfon
03-05-2012, 08:01 PM
sell both and get a UCF 31, wait someone said that already
sell both and get a bike!! ..wait too late for that..damnit

seriously, i'd sell both and wait for a gem to come by.

I have 4 vehicles, i just buy more parking space : D

K3RMiTdot
03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
you dont need either

Squishy
03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Sell me the gt4 :)

Godfuader
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
For the rarity and awesomeness...keep the GT4. You could sell the Honda and buy one just like it next month.

Keeping the ST205 means fun year round...and saving the project car for special occasions.

03ozwhip
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
Sell me the gt4 :)

LOL i thought you might chime in at some point, BUT it looks like she is sold come sunday. :( im not sure what to think...and im not sure if i will still keep the TL or not.

if youre serious though and it falls through and sunday, i will let you know.

03ozwhip
03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
For the rarity and awesomeness...keep the GT4. You could sell the Honda and buy one just like it next month.

Keeping the ST205 means fun year round...and saving the project car for special occasions.

i hear ya man, but i think for the adult in me(married/kid) it works, but isnt seriously practical. i think what i want to do is get something fun and practical, kinda had to do though.

ive had my eye on that built 2004 audi A4 wagon in the marketplace, but unsure of that with reliability and what not, never had a german car before/

Squishy
03-06-2012, 10:54 PM

LOL i thought you might chime in at some point, BUT it looks like she is sold come sunday. :( im not sure what to think...and im not sure if i will still keep the TL or not.

if youre serious though and it falls through and sunday, i will let you know. noooooooooooooooo. These are seriously one of my favorite cars, especially the black / gold combo. :drool: :drool: :drool:

PM me how much you're selling it for