PDA

View Full Version : Living in a Warehouse

swak
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
As ridiculous as this may sound (if a nice enough one can be found), living in a warehouse, believe it or not, has always been on my mind - since seeing the Simpson's episode where Bart gets a loft below Tony Hawk.

See site for ref:
http://almostbohemian.com/warehouse/

Out of curiosity, what are the legalities behind this from a real estate perspective? Can one simply just live in an Industrial Zoned area?

... in all seriousness, i can't see myself renting out a warehouse for myself, but more-so wondering if this is even at all possible.

HiTempguy1
02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I was seriously considering doing this but with a shop for working on cars.

In reality, it'd basically be illegal. You could set up a shell business and probably modify an upstairs mezzanine area as your living quarters, but all of the hoops (if you could even do it) really put me off the idea.

dannie
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I live in a space that is kind of similar.... A developer bought some space downtown that was all retail on the main level and office space up top. He managed to get it re-zoned and the building now has 5 retail bays with a loft above each. From speaking with the owners that bought from the developer, it was a 2 year long process to change the zoning (keep in mind, this is just what I was told... I'm not sure if the timing is legit) and then he was able to put in the residences.

If you don't get the zoning changed, then HiTemp is correct. Whatever you do in that space would be illegal. Add in a few nosy neighbors in the bays next to you, and you could have a problem.

heavyfuel
02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Tequila shots in the hot tub over looking my trucks and toys, helllll yeah I'd live in a warehouse loft!

Tik-Tok
02-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Tequila shots in the hot tub over looking my trucks and toys, helllll yeah I'd live in a warehouse loft!

Except you'd be doing it alone, since if you took a girl to an industrial park to "where you live", so run out of the car as sooon as she could, lol.

J@Tuner
02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Except you'd be doing it alone, since if you took a girl to an industrial park to "where you live", so run out of the car as sooon as she could, lol.

Fine with me :) I'd love a warehouse loft too, don't see many pop up :(

swak
02-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Id rather bring a girl back to a warehouse then a full house in the NE :bigpimp:

TomcoPDR
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
There are people that do it. This one guy is a frame builder, just decided to live in the shop after the divorce. Full stripper poles, hot tub (in the middle of his warehouse), BBQ.

Obvious reasons can't say who he is. Great guy.

J@Tuner
02-28-2012, 07:16 PM
^^ DAMN! Take me one night hahah I wanna check it out :)

syritis
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
I've been thinking of the same thing for a long time. i would prefer out of the city on a 1/4-1/2 acre plot. Get a decent size workshop and put office and a loft above a auto/fab shop.

project240
02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by syritis
I've been thinking of the same thing for a long time. i would prefer out of the city on a 1/4-1/2 acre plot. Get a decent size workshop and put office and a loft above a auto/fab shop.

MLS#133490
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11165991&PidKey=-1803183536

Something like this? We've been looking at properties in BC and I want something with a large shop, which we haven't found. I've been looking into costs and I've come up with figures of $125-$175K to build a 30x50' shop/garage with a living space on top, fully finished. It's quite surprising how little extra it costs to increase the size... I may just have to get quotes for a 40x60' as well... It would take me awhile before I ran out of room in a 2400sqft shop.

I've been seriously contemplating this as an option...

HiTempguy1
02-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by syritis

That is the legit way to do it, but then you aren't in the city. My plan is to get some land around Edmonton, put up a shop with a loft/living area in it. If I ever end up doing something stupid like marrying a chick, boom, build house.

syritis
02-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Sweet property but i still like the mezzanine style. thinking about waking up in the morning and looking out my bedroom window at a couple project cars awaiting my attention gives me a hard on.

CanmoreOrLess
02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by project240

MLS#133490
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11165991&PidKey=-1803183536

Something like this? We've been looking at properties in BC and I want something with a large shop, which we haven't found. I've been looking into costs and I've come up with figures of $125-$175K to build a 30x50' shop/garage with a living space on top, fully finished. It's quite surprising how little extra it costs to increase the size... I may just have to get quotes for a 40x60' as well... It would take me awhile before I ran out of room in a 2400sqft shop.

I've been seriously contemplating this as an option...

It looks like you'd be less than 1 km from two lakes.

project240
02-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

It looks like you'd be less than 1 km from two lakes.

Location is definitely great from a recreation point of view, not so much from a work/school (kids) point of view though.

Sugarphreak
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM

Zewind
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
didnt we have a loft thread going before? :dunno:

sputnik
02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Move to Winnipeg. There are tons of raw warehouse buildings available for residential development. Many of them have huge freight elevators, date back to the early 1900s and are in a pretty trendy area of the city.

However they are quickly getting snapped up by condo developers.

http://www.billthiessen.com/ActiveCondoListings.ubr/Details/125/448-hargrave-hargrave-hard-lofts-winnipeg-manitoba#viewdetail

swak
02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
This is a warehouse not a loft.

Close, but more industrial looking...

J@Tuner
02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Move to Winnipeg. There are tons of raw warehouse buildings available for residential development. Many of them have huge freight elevators, date back to the early 1900s and are in a pretty trendy area of the city.

However they are quickly getting snapped up by condo developers.

http://www.billthiessen.com/ActiveCondoListings.ubr/Details/125/448-hargrave-hargrave-hard-lofts-winnipeg-manitoba#viewdetail

Really? You suggest winterpeg out of this thread? BOOO!! haha

ercchry
02-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Mike Holmes says you cant have a garage opening into your house

Thaco
02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
as neat as it would be, i could see doing that with a garage, but not a work shop... all your stuff would stink, welding fumes, exhaust, paint, gas, dust, metal shavings, sawdust.... all those things would be in your clothes/bed/furniture it would be nasty... there would have to be some sort of separation... maybe a full glass wall from your bedroom to the shop would be cool... but i don't think you could realistically have it open.

sputnik
02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
as neat as it would be, i could see doing that with a garage, but not a work shop... all your stuff would stink, welding fumes, exhaust, paint, gas, dust, metal shavings, sawdust.... all those things would be in your clothes/bed/furniture it would be nasty... there would have to be some sort of separation... maybe a full glass wall from your bedroom to the shop would be cool... but i don't think you could realistically have it open.

Agreed. A real shop is going to stink and all of your stuff will stink too. Not to mention bringing in your snow/dirt covered car and having it all melt and make everything musty and humid.

That said, most people here wouldn't know what to do with a welding rig or a paint gun. They just need a place to bolt on a spoiler, stick on decals and swap out their summer tires for winter.

HiTempguy1
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Dude... I already smell like that most of the time. My current living area is a collection of car parts.

Poseurs need not apply! I think people that think they are ballin' and never work on their own cars (and the cars are brand new) would want this.

I want it because race car and single :thumbsup:

Tomaz
02-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I currently live in a warehouse. Pretty sweet pad! It was originally a 60x40 millwork shop. Really, it is the best bachelor pad I have seen. I was inspired by my high school math teacher who did the same thing when he was in his early 20's. He did some crazy things including making a loft with a zip line to the couch, a back-stop for shooting his gun when pissed off watching sports, a half basketball court/dance floor. I could only afford to do so much, but I think I did well.

I wish I could give more insight to what would be required, but I never had to rezone, or go through any BS with my municipality. Things are a bit more relaxed out in the middle of nowhere though. All I needed to do is build my place to code!

I love it mainly because not everybody has a 10 car garage, heated flooring, 12ft ceilings, or massive rooms.

Some pics for me to brag a little (maybe it will inspire you a bit lol):

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9960/img00143200910181736.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5702/img00137200910181733.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/729/20100127dsc00010.jpg

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4449/20100127dsc00011.jpg

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2184/20100127dsc00016.jpg

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/9396/20100127dsc00012.jpg

J@Tuner
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Looks awesome Tomaz! Where's the garage connecting to the living area pictures?

sputnik
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Some pics for me to brag a little (maybe it will inspire you a bit lol):

Don't worry about bragging. I don't think anyone is that jealous of you living in your parents garage.

bspot
02-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Mike Holmes says you cant have a garage opening into your house

What about this?

http://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.052388,-114.046862&spn=0.010764,0.01929&hnear=209+7A+St+NE,+Calgary,+Alberta+T2E+0C1&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.052711,-114.047028&panoid=meTN3Ex7AKNJbXgH_pPmZg&cbp=12,110.57,,1,-3.51

heavyfuel
02-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Yeah if I was going for armpiece trophy girls, most likely. A car/truck girl not afraid to get dirty, would be over there in a heartbeat!

Tomaz, I hate you lol that is a f'n awesome setup!

ercchry
02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by bspot

What about this?

http://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.052388,-114.046862&spn=0.010764,0.01929&hnear=209+7A+St+NE,+Calgary,+Alberta+T2E+0C1&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.052711,-114.047028&panoid=meTN3Ex7AKNJbXgH_pPmZg&cbp=12,110.57,,1,-3.51

hard to say from the outside if there is a firewall and separate ventilation :dunno:

or if the doors are even functional

Tomaz
02-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by J@Tuner
Looks awesome Tomaz! Where's the garage connecting to the living area pictures?

It is just a door to a small foyer. Nothing to really snap a pic of, but I can oblige when I get home tonight.

Don't worry about bragging. I don't think anyone is that jealous of you living in your parents garage.

That sounds like jealousy right there. lol j/k

Really, it's no different than the old farm family that builds a house on the land for the kids. I know a lot of farm families that have 3 or 4 houses on the same property (Grandparents, parents, kids, and sometimes one for the farm lead/manager).

/mooch justification

House is for sale, you can take it off our hands. haha

Anyway, I have been looking into this a little bit more and it seems Zoning is the hard part. The land needs to be zoned as residential (sorry, no specifics from me today). After that, as long as the garage space is separate from the living space according to local building code, it seems you would be good to go! There would be some loss of cool-factor just because of what is required. It still can be done though.

For example: My living space is separated by the same construction as you would an attached garage (I forget the exact steps my father and I did when building). A self-closing exterior door is the access into the "home".

swak
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM
If for sale, where is that tomaz? That place is so rad.

Good work on the build man.

Tomaz
02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by swak
If for sale, where is that tomaz? That place is so rad.

Good work on the build man.

Thanks!

The whole property is for sale, not just my bachelor pad. It's located between Chestermere and Strathmore along the #1 Highway. For sale link in the marketplace:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/345857/fs-acreage-east-of-calgary/

I might be able to get more info about zoning and zone changes over the next couple days, and will update this if I do.

swak
02-29-2012, 04:58 PM

What about this?

Funny you bring that place up.
A friend of a friend owns that place, and from what i've heard its baller as hell!
The guys a big name in calgary, not going to say who for confidentiality, but to say the least... Its definitely split off.
That is more of a home than a "warehouse" though. Complete reno on inside, so can't tell its an old firehouse (except for a few details).

bspot
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by swak

Funny you bring that place up.
A friend of a friend owns that place, and from what i've heard its baller as hell!
The guys a big name in calgary, not going to say who for confidentiality, but to say the least... Its definitely split off.
That is more of a home than a "warehouse" though. Complete reno on inside, so can't tell its an old firehouse (except for a few details).

I thought I'd heard it was a photography studio downstairs. I live about 2 blocks from there and ride by this every day on the way home, and it's a wicked place. I believe a rooftop patio as well from what I can tell?

swak
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM

I thought I'd heard it was a photography studio downstairs. I live about 2 blocks from there and ride by this every day on the way home, and it's a wicked place. I believe a rooftop patio as well from what I can tell?

Not 100% on the rooftop patio, but the guy is big in the "arts" so doesn't surprise me that there would be photography perceived.

But i do know its like a kids dream-house in a sense haha... Hidden rooms and turning bookcases etc. :bigpimp:

max_boost
02-29-2012, 06:50 PM

Don't worry about bragging. I don't think anyone is that jealous of you living in your parents garage. lol what a guy.

project240
02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
[B]I currently live in a warehouse. Pretty sweet pad! It was originally a 60x40 millwork shop. Really, it is the best bachelor pad I have seen. I was inspired by my high school math teacher who did the same thing when he was in his early 20's. He did some crazy things including making a loft with a zip line to the couch, a back-stop for shooting his gun when pissed off watching sports, a half basketball court/dance floor. I could only afford to do so much, but I think I did well.

When you have a chance, do you mind sharing some costs? I assume you began with a bare slate and had to build/install everything including hooking up to all utilities, etc?

I was recently looking at this huge church for sale and contemplating how much it would cost me to make it a liveable space.

CapnCrunch
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Yeah if I was going for armpiece trophy girls, most likely. A car/truck girl not afraid to get dirty, would be over there in a heartbeat!

You'd quickly get tired of her leaving her moustache stubble in the sink.

know1edge
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/190631-project-garage-condo-15.html

sputnik
03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/190631-project-garage-condo-15.html

You aren't allowed to live in those units.

The owner in the thread mentions it.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2012, 12:11 PM

J@Tuner
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Same thing for the Den's I believe

sputnik
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I've wondered if you can live at this one if you put in a kitchen and some living quarters on the mezzanine area:

http://www.thedens.ca

I had an idea to rent an apartment downtown and then live in a done up one of these on the weekend... didn't go over so well with the wife, lol.

You can put whatever you want into those spaces. Its whether or not they are zoned and permitted for residential occupancy that is the question. I doubt that these will be zoned a residential.

Just because you can throw a bed into a storage locker, doesn't mean you can sleep in it.

Tomaz
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM

You can put whatever you want into those spaces. Its whether or not they are zoned and permitted for residential occupancy that is the question. I doubt that these will be zoned a residential.

Just because you can throw a bed into a storage locker, doesn't mean you can sleep in it.

Exactly.

The other problem with trying to live at "The Den" is that the units do not pass Canadian Building Code to be habitable. Living quarters need to be separated from the garage, as in, you require a gas barrier (basically exterior walls to the garage, no windows, door needs to be an exterior door with self-closing hinges). Plus then you require fire escape, and a few other things I am definitely missing.

Still loved the idea. :thumbsup:

heavyfuel
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm sure something has to be build-able to code, no?

Thaco
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm sure something has to be build-able to code, no? yeah, it's called an attached garage

heavyfuel
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
yeah, it's called an attached garage

Slow golf clap

Tomaz
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
yeah, it's called an attached garage

That is exactly it. If you build/renovate as an "attached garage", then you are fine. There are some techniques that one can do to create an illusion of living in a warehouse, but you will never be allowed to put your mattress beside your Ferrari.

The best way to describe what you are allowed to do is making an "Apartment w/ attached garage" - Hard to explain, hopefully that makes sense for you guys.

For example, that Fire hall will have the entire bottom floor sealed off from the living space above.

ercchry
03-01-2012, 03:57 PM

... no windows

i think you could have windows... just have to be the right type. we have a window into the shop from our office space at work, all to code.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2012, 04:01 PM

swak
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

Dream house right there :drool: :drool:

heavyfuel
03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
^^^Oh man I wish I knew how to think the way these people do...

Tomaz
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i think you could have windows... just have to be the right type. we have a window into the shop from our office space at work, all to code.

I am not even allowed to put glass in Garage-to-House door systems. I highly doubt windows/glass can be used. In your example, you are talking about commercial work space, not living space. Different rules to go by when it involves living spaces. I am not the expert, but I am unaware of transparent materials that would meet CSA approval as a firewall in residential construction.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

What about the hole for the firemans pole?

Hard to tell how it is set up as I have never been in the house, but what I would do is separate the one garage entrance from the rest of the house, and keep the firepole on the living space side of the main floor. Dammit, now I want a pole!

Again, the concern is keeping the vehicle in it's own contained area.

e31
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Something like this. (https://www.revelstoke-realty.com/buy/456-r-4577) It has the living space above a large garage. I thought it was kinda different.

heavyfuel
03-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by e31
Something like this. (https://www.revelstoke-realty.com/buy/456-r-4577) It has the living space above a large garage. I thought it was kinda different.

And in Revy to boot.... that's a dream come true right there!

swak
03-01-2012, 10:10 PM
isn't that a duplex?

syritis
03-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone know what zoning code a place like tomaz would have to have to be built on? Both for inside the city and in rocky view?

ercchry
03-02-2012, 12:00 AM

And in Revy to boot.... that's a dream come true right there!

800sqft and $400k is your dream?! :nut: