PDA

View Full Version : basement egress window

TimG
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
So we're looking at putting in an egress window in the basement.

We've had a guy come in to do estimates.

I measured 51" across on the window, he measured 47 and change. The current window is about 15" tall. we're looking at getting something that is about 36" tall.

This project would involve digging a well, tying into the weeping tile, cutting out some of the foundation and putting in the window.

My concerns:

coring the foundation: does this need an engineering stamp? this is a large chunk that is being cut out.

Lentil: i was told that under 48" wide does not require a lentil or engineering drawings. Since he measured under 48" and I measured 51" I'm wondering if this might be some kind of bait-and-switch. it looks like there is a header in place now (two 2x6 pieces stacked on top of each other).

I don't want to go ahead with this if there's a risk that the structure of the house will be compromised.

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

Sugarphreak
03-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Tomaz
03-01-2012, 05:06 PM
^^^

He needs clear opening space, so his frame size/RO window at 15" does not work.

Just going by my standard sizing guide, there are some options that will work:

1200x800 (RO:48 1/8" x 32 3/8") is the smallest standard egress window I make to the 48" width, so a 48x36 should pass spec.

From my understanding, contractors will buy the closest standard-sized window that the shelf that fit the RO. So, a 48"x36" will do the trick, depending on the manufacturer they buy from. He might just fill in the remainder with 2x6 just like the head you are describing.

I wish I could give you more insight to what is required (I just build the windows), but from what I see, all he wants to do is keep things simple by dropping the hole down to accommodate the new size, and save work not widening the hole. You are only dropping by another 21 inches, so I don't foresee any structural issues.

Just ask the contractor to explain his plan better to you. Ask him more questions. He might give you better insight to what is required and needed for your circumstance.

TimG
03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
my concern isn't with the window well; there will be plenty of room.

my main concern is cutting concrete out of the foundation and if this will compromise structure, and also whether this requires permits or engineering drawings. It seems to me that cutting out some of the foundation would suggest that a permit would be required and that there be engineering drawings.

I've tried calling both 311/permit office and the contractor and left messages, but i'm still waiting to hear back from someone. Just hoping that someone here could shed some light on this.

2LOW4SNOW
03-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I have had this done and even posted pics of it in a different thread here:

Link (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=340777&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2)

keep in mind which direction the joists run above the window. If they are parallel there MIGHT be less of a load above that window (really depends on how the rest of your house is constructed).

I am fairly certain you will need a permit for a change like this. You will not regret it if you use your basement, it makes a huge difference.

TimG
03-02-2012, 10:24 AM
joists run perpendicular to the window

510-Trevor
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Not sure if your auto-correct is choosing the wrong word, but I think you mean lintel (form of support) vs lentil (a bean).

Whether or not you need a lintel depends not only on the size of the opening, but also where the hole is cut on the wall ei. how much concrete is left above the opening.

You are effecting the building structure, so I can't see how you wouldn't need a permit and some sort of engineering drawings.