PDA

View Full Version : New Driveway cracked already. Need some advice.

Ntense_SpecV
03-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I have a general question for all the new home owners here, or anyone who has poured a new driveway recently.

Our driveway is not even a year old and it already has developed a hairline crack in one portion of the slab that's not in the relief joint. It runs from the edge of the garage slab to the first relief joint. There are also about 6 locations where the concrete is flaking or chipping (not sure the correct term). It is really evident where they have cut the relief joints in that this is chipping on the rounded portion. Finally in the same section of the slab that has the crack in it, you can see a hole from where I believe a rather large piece of metal or rebar has cracked through and you can now see the rusty hole.

Is this a bad pour or the fact that Calgary has no humidity and could have been poured when it was too cold outside?

Obviously I have notified the builder and am awaiting our response. Our 1 year walkthrough happens monday however we haven't had the best customer service with this builder. 4 Emails and 5 phone calls when the garage heaved and 3 months after the fact I finally get the service guy to even come see the garage, when he came for a totally unrelated issue.

Our garage heaved in the middle and is cracked all over. This happened in the first 6 months, however it settled down and I plan on fixing the cracks in there with a 2 part epoxy sealant and then finishing it with something. Also our basement has cracked all over the place. None of the cracks in the garage or basement worries me, however with the 3 different locations of cracking what does have me worried is that the builder will pick the cheapest fix and not neccessarily the best fix.

Trying to gauge what I should do to force the builder to do what's right...not what's cheapest.

I guess after looking through InRich's basement thread where CDave45 points out such shitty workmanship and also where a builder can't even hire decent trades to build a tub deck, I'm just super pissed that even spending 500k doesn't get a properly built home anymore. There's no pride in anything home building related anymore and it's all about the money.

Thanks Beyond from a typical middle class pisssed off homeowner.

Weapon_R
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Concrete cracks. Get used to it. As long as its within spec the builder won't do a thing for you.

On a sidenote, you can't "repair" cracks. You can fill them but it'll look worse than before.

Ntense_SpecV
03-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Concrete cracks. Get used to it. As long as its within spec the builder won't do a thing for you.

On a sidenote, you can't "repair" cracks. You can fill them but it'll look worse than before.

There's rusty hole the size of a toonie in the driveway. It looks like crap...they won't fix that?

schocker
03-02-2012, 09:53 AM
They might fix that but not cracks. I know my garage pad is cracked from side to side and from door to door. It looks stupid so I am going to coat the flooring in the spring. My drive way has come unscathed so far besides having them touch up around the water valve as it was chipping away, but the sidewalk up to the door is cracked across in a few spots. I believe that segment was due to shitty workmanship but there is nothing I can do there now. No cracks in the joints though of course :facepalm:

Unknown303
03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I just bought a house built in 1981 and it has virtually no cracks in the concrete. Seems like builders these days just don't put the effort into making sure it's going to last.

ddduke
03-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd say keep pushing the builder. My parents built new in 2004 and the driveway had similar issues to yours, no structural, just an eye sore. They ended up completely redoing the driveway 2 more times on the builders dollar because the second time it was just as bad. But my dad is an absolute prick and so painful to deal with when he's angry that they probably just wanted to get rid of him.

Also, this was cardel, which based on most reviews is not the best builder.

kenny
03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Not a driveway, but there was a crack in the concrete walkway up to the front door of my house and they fixed (re-poured) that for me when I asked them to.

I'd push for it to be re-done if it bothers you.

Z_Fan
03-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Burnco probably poured 20 driveways in one day on our street, for an array of builders. Cracked driveways are not exactly unique to Cardel. Happens all the time.

OP should pressure the builder to do something.

Don't wait too long, just keep at them.

pea_soup
03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
You will notice the driveway isn't covered until warranty of any sort. Even the new home owner's warranty won't even do anything about as there are so many variables that can cause concrete to crack.

It will normally crack and develop hairline cracks over time. If any of those cracks turns into cracks where you can fit a quarter you start to have a serious issue.

The major problem is that you would need proof your builder improperly laid the re-bar for the foundation of the concrete or used an improper concrete mix. Both are extremely hard to prove.

Unknown303
03-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by pea_soup
You will notice the driveway isn't covered until warranty of any sort. Even the new home owner's warranty won't even do anything about as there are so many variables that can cause concrete to crack.

It will normally crack and develop hairline cracks over time. If any of those cracks turns into cracks where you can fit a quarter you start to have a serious issue.

The major problem is that you would need proof your builder improperly laid the re-bar for the foundation of the concrete or used an improper concrete mix. Both are extremely hard to prove.

I think if they have rebar poking out of the concrete causing visible rust is proof enough that they don't have the rebar properly wired in place in the driveway. And unless it's one solid slab with no relief cuts in it there should be cracks just anywhere, that's what the relief cuts are for.

AndyL
03-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Oi, and they threaten contractors with thousand $ fines if were caught parking on one...

My newly acquired 1980 vintage driveway and garage pad doesn't have a single crack :)

Deficiency list sir - get it on the deficiency list...

tangj
03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Same thing happened to my house, I had small hairline cracks and the top layer was chipping / corroding off, i think it rained the day after our drive way was poured. So I complained to the builder and they just came and without even telling me.. their method of "repairing" it was to sandblast the top layer and put a glossy sealant on top..
it looked nice afterwards but damn its slippery in winter haha

A790
03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by tangj
Same thing happened to my house, I had small hairline cracks and the top layer was chipping / corroding off, i think it rained the day after our drive way was poured. So I complained to the builder and they just came and without even telling me.. their method of "repairing" it was to sandblast the top layer and put a glossy sealant on top..
it looked nice afterwards but damn its slippery in winter haha
When you reseal the driveway you can mix in a grit with the sealer. This will give you the shine but won't be so slippery when wet.

tangj
03-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by A790

When you reseal the driveway you can mix in a grit with the sealer. This will give you the shine but won't be so slippery when wet.

The sealer i use is similar to this
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/acrylic-concrete-sealer-38l/958140

What kind of sealer do you use that you can add grit to?
Can you recommend me a type of sealer? and where to buy it.
The type of sealer i use takes about 4 jugs to do my driveway, and it doesn't seem like it lasts that long, after a couple months it looks super dull..

89s1
03-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I just bought a house built in 1981 and it has virtually no cracks in the concrete. Seems like builders these days just don't put the effort into making sure it's going to last.

Originally posted by AndyL
Oi, and they threaten contractors with thousand $ fines if were caught parking on one...

My newly acquired 1980 vintage driveway and garage pad doesn't have a single crack :)

Deficiency list sir - get it on the deficiency list...

:werd: Proud owner of a home built in '79 when more people building it gave a shit.

Don't let these guys get away with this. Make them fix it and do it right.

sillysod
03-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Concrete cracks are normal, it is something that has to be expected in modern homes.

The rust though is unacceptable. That I would insist on getting fixed.

93mr2gt
03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
if your new home's garage is collecting water in the winter all the time, because the garage door side is lipped upwards, what is the best solution for that?

A790
03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by tangj

The sealer i use is similar to this
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/acrylic-concrete-sealer-38l/958140

What kind of sealer do you use that you can add grit to?
Can you recommend me a type of sealer? and where to buy it.
The type of sealer i use takes about 4 jugs to do my driveway, and it doesn't seem like it lasts that long, after a couple months it looks super dull..
Yea.... it looks dull after a couple of months because you're using a low-end sealer.

Something like Seal Cure/18 by W.R. Meadows would likely last you the year, and adding something like SharkGrip to it would give you that grip that you need in the winter.

Skip home depot, call one of the concrete supply company's here in Calgary and get it from there.

tangj
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
^ Awesome thanks for the advice A790 Ill look into it this summer.

Ntense_SpecV
03-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice.
I'll push to see if the builder will at least sanblast the topcoat. They don't have an option of whether they will fix the rust hole.

And to whoever said that concrete cracks are expected in a modern home...why would that be? Is it thinner concrete slabs that are poured? Worse finishing and workmanship? You'd think that modern homes would be better in respect to some of the basic items built as concrete is something that has been done forever. I can excuse complexity in say advanced technology in homes like networking and whole home automation, but to and pour driveways, garages and basements isn't rocket science, and something that people rely upon being done correctly the first time, as it is really expensive for all involved to fix after the fact.

Sugarphreak
03-05-2012, 09:58 AM

pea_soup
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
First off no way to guarantee that house built in 1981 actually has concrete that was poured in 1981. I've owned several homes that were build in the 1970's and 1980's and in many cases it was even worse than what I see today.

You can pay extra though to have concrete fiber mixed with the concrete for a driveway. Combine this with rebar and you'll have the strongest drive way on the block.

I would highly inquire with any builder regarding this option as it shouldn't be that expensive.

CapnCrunch
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Concrete cracks!!!

:drama:

Ntense_SpecV
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Concrete cracks!!!

I know right...first world problems.

But would you expect not to claim warranty on a brand new car if the paint started to peel off within one year? I mean, the car still runs and drives perfectly but looks like shit.

Unknown303
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

But would you expect not to claim warranty on a brand new car if the paint started to peel off within one year? I mean, the car still runs and drives perfectly but looks like shit.

Paint peels, it's what happens.

CapnCrunch
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

If all cars had paint that peeled off, then no I wouldn't claim warranty.

Driveways get cracks, parking garages get cracks, warehouse floors get cracks, water dams get cracks, it's just what happens.

Sugarphreak
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM

codetrap
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
None of the driveways in our area are cracked, and they were all poured in 2001-2002. There are a few that are spalling (flaking/chipping) all in a row, and my neighbor who does concrete for a living said it was because of shitty pours. While it's true that concrete cracks, I wouldn't accept anyone on here who says suck it up because that's the way it is after a single year. That's just BS from people who really don't know what the fuck they're talking about as there's no real reason concrete should be cracking and rusting unless someone fucked up.

As for the heaving? I'd definitely be going after the builder over that. That shouldn't be happening.

AndyL
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
A lot of it goes back to techniques... back in the 70s and 80s, they didn't pour in the middle of winter- never when its below freezing... now its all about the schedule, throw a little more caco3 in - it'll be fine...

I saw at least 6 poured today in skyview... poured on frozen ground,under a winter storm advisory... ive got a bright whiney nickle that says those driveways and garage floors will be a mess probably by summer...

I'm wondering when the builders will smarten up - ever seen the spec on a Canadian tire shop floor? Ever wonder why they don't crack and heave? The spec follows the suppliers best practices, ground thawed, temp controlled and monitored, binding agents used, rebar spec thats got to be close to 4-5x minimum code... there's a reason for all that - but we can just throw a little calcium chloride in - it'll be fine...