PDA

View Full Version : Hot & Sour soup

clem24
03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Anyone here like Hot & Sour soup? I love this shit but most places make it like shit. The absolute best I've tried is from High Ball in the strip mall across from the Foothills Hospital (everything else there is meh LOL). And I've tried it from many places but so far no one seems to be able to touch, it, not even the dedicated Shanghai places like Great Taste Chinese Restaurant (formely MBA Noodle House) and Oriental Palace in Parkdale.

Would love to hear your favorites.

Edit: it's not Delicious Country, it's Great Taste Chinese Restaurant (who the fuck comes up with these names...). Anyway had it again a few days ago and I must say it's improved but still not as good as High Ball.

MM99lude
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I've always enjoyed the hot and sour soup at Silver Dragon in China town.

kenny
03-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Seriously, after eating the H&S at Peking Peking, every H&S soup in the city tastes like crap :P

Graham_A_M
03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Ginger Beef close to Anderson has some wicked Hot & Sour. Ive been hooked ever since. I cant find a single place in Calgary that makes it good... but hopefully that'll change with this thread. :)

With most places its burnt and tastes horrendous, so I typically stopped asking for it.

littledan
03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
in edmonton, the place on ellerslie rd at 111st sw makes awsesome hot and sour soup. But you gotta ask for it extra spicy. the place is called chancanwok lol..

legendboy
03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Peking house 98 take out joint in hidden Valley is really good. Scratch made with fresh chillies

Not a huge fan of the rest of their food tho

98type_r
03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
The best I ever had was from the Flamingo Palace on 11th back in the day. Haven't found a suitable replacement since they closed down. I might have to try some of these places out to see how they measure up.

swak
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Leo Fus just off MacLeod (south of glenmore)

Definitely the best hot and sour I've ever had.
Also, their won ton soup is amazing. Not your traditional soup... But soo good

clem24
03-06-2012, 11:03 AM
OK gotta check these places and I'll let you know what I think.

To me, the best H&S soup has a really nice, rich and deep flavour without overly sour, but also needs to actually be hot. It's actually a balance that I feel is quite hard to achieve. Plus I also like my soup textured a little thicker instead of being watery.

Anyone try High Ball yet?

TL_
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by clem24

To me, the best H&S soup has a really nice, rich and deep flavour without overly sour, but also needs to actually be hot. It's actually a balance that I feel is quite hard to achieve. Plus I also like my soup textured a little thicker instead of being watery.

Anyone try High Ball yet?

You should give Eastern Fortune a try on 16th Ave across from Bubblemania. The Hot & Sour soup there has a thicker texture and it's the best I've had around town. I'll have to give High Ball a try and compare though.

max_boost
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of hot and sour soup myself but man Sun Chiu Kee really makes a good one! :drool:

K3RMiTdot
03-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Yeep i love sun chiu kee hot and sour soup, my mom use to bring it home all the time.

The ginger beef one is meh, use to work there watched them make it. It was good every once in a while.

legendboy
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM

you just described peking house 98 hot and sour soup

ColoDano
03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I like Magic Bowl down on Lake Sylvan Drive, in Lake Bonavista Downs. Great taste, very fresh ingredients, and the wife loves the big chunks of shrimp.

clem24
03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

you just described peking house 98 hot and sour soup

Hahaha alright fine.. That's close enough to my parents house that I'll stop by and pick some up tonight before grabbing the kids.

LOL @ Magic Bowl... :rofl: Ok in all seriousness a little far for me unfortunately. But will definitely put into consideration if I am in the area. Take a pic & post next time you have it.

Quiet10
03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I live in Hidden Valley so I'll try that Peking House 98 soup tonight if I have time to get out. Haha. :clap:

GQBalla
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
after a hard night of drinking and stopping to get chinese food.
yakked once i got out of the resturant....i will never drink hot and sour soup again.

max_boost
03-06-2012, 08:22 PM
^^

You blaming the soup or the alcohol? lol

GQBalla
03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
ill blame the alcohol, but it sure does taste hot and sour coming right back up ahahah

double the flavor

clem24
03-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Tried Peking House 98.. Kind of .. tame? It's weird but although the chili peppers are nice, I only feel heat if I eat them (and I got got like 2 small slices in my order LOL. Otherwise not much sourness at all, the bamboo shoots were stringy and chewy, and overall a little bland. If High Ball was 9/10, this was 5/10. Mind you it wasn't gross or anything.

Next!

n1zm0
03-07-2012, 01:15 PM
speaking of of hot and sour soup, anyone know if there is authentic Tom yum goong sold in this city? i mean like whole prawns with head and bamboo shoots kinda thing.

i'm sick of the soup base paste in the bottle with 10000mgs of MSG, want to taste the real thing again, or as close as possible.

clem24
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
speaking of of hot and sour soup, anyone know if there is authentic Tom yum goong sold in this city? i mean like whole prawns with head and bamboo shoots kinda thing.

i'm sick of the soup base paste in the bottle with 10000mgs of MSG, want to taste the real thing again, or as close as possible.

Hey get your own thread... :devil:

Head on shrimp will be difficult to get in the city; white people freak out over shit like this. I think the only real way is to make it yourself. Really good Thai is one of those things that is seriously lacking in Calgary, IMHO. Have you tried the frozen pack that they sell at T&T or Lambda? I can't remember the brand but it's about $7, in a white and orange package and comes with all necessary seafood and vegetables. Obviously it's not the best but really, I think it tastes as good as anything Calgary restaurants have to offer (in addition to the outrageous amounts they usually charge for a bowl of that shit).

legendboy
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Tried Peking House 98.. Kind of .. tame? It's weird but although the chili peppers are nice, I only feel heat if I eat them (and I got got like 2 small slices in my order LOL. Otherwise not much sourness at all, the bamboo shoots were stringy and chewy, and overall a little bland. If High Ball was 9/10, this was 5/10. Mind you it wasn't gross or anything.

Next!

shit! sorry man i guess i should try some of the other places mentioned in this thread :banghead:

clem24
03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by legendboy

shit! sorry man i guess i should try some of the other places mentioned in this thread :banghead:

Hahaha whatever, I'll never know until I try it. Like I said it wasn't gross or anything and I do still like eating.

It'll be interesting to hear your opinion on the High Ball one. H&S soup could turn out to be one of those things that are like preferences for pizza and pho: researchers say the best is whatever you're used to LOL.

cancer man
03-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Seriously, after eating the H&S at Peking Peking, every H&S soup in the city tastes like crap :P

The original Home Food Inn like 20 years ago was spectacular.
I'am going to try your suggestion and try this place called peking peking.Secret shopper coming your way.

clem24
03-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
I'am going to try your suggestion and try this place called peking peking.Secret shopper coming your way.

Is this Max Boost's joint?

max_boost
03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
The hot and sour soup here that Kenny raves about was made by my uncle who use to work for us. He now owns Wok with Chan on Macleod. I'm not the biggest fan of it but I would occasionally test it out and it's actually pretty good haha

magicalpoop
03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Sun Chiu Kee on Center street makes legit H&S soup from what I remember.

Also if ur in the NW, that T.Pot place by Timmies in Harvest/Country strip mall (where the old flight deck restaurant) sells it too. Unfortunately you will have to buy enough that serves probably like 4, I don't believe they sell it in single serve. It's 10$ and its a giant giant freaking bowl.

clem24
03-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by magicalpoop
Also if ur in the NW, that T.Pot place by Timmies in Harvest/Country strip mall (where the old flight deck restaurant) sells it too.

Just about every Chinese restaurant sells it.. Whether it's good or not is really the topic of this thread...

jvyyc
03-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by swak
Leo Fus just off MacLeod (south of glenmore)

Definitely the best hot and sour I've ever had.
Also, their won ton soup is amazing. Not your traditional soup... But soo good

Leo Fu's is IMO, some of the best Chinese in the city period. Good stuff!

clem24
03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Are you guys white? Sounds like a whitey joint... :D

http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2010/12/18/calgary-leo-fus/

GQBalla
03-16-2012, 09:39 AM
that's what i was about to say ^^

i was also going to say you guys probably like Kings for their wor won tons eh?

hehe

http://www.wontonking.com

Stunt66
03-16-2012, 10:04 AM
The wor won ton makes it pretty clear what race he is lol
Like i've said before, we need a system to identify race when posting reviews of ethnic food.

n1zm0
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Stunt66
The wor won ton makes it pretty clear what race he is lol
Like i've said before, we need a system to identify race when posting reviews of ethnic food.

:rofl: funny thing about that is i went out to silver dragon with my gf's parents and they insisted i come so i order 'the good stuff' so they start ordering and it's literally the typical western list of wor won ton, 'potstickers', ginger beef, lemon chicken, some sort of veggy with almonds and gdamned mandarin oranges, chicken fried rice with egg.

gf told me 'order whatever you want, my family will surely eat it'

(┛ò.ó)┛彡┻━┻

no chance in hell i'm ordering what i really want.

edit: also when the lady came to drop the soup bowls off, in my head i was like, 'YES, fish maw soup', then the bowl comes full of wontons and i had a brain fart 'wth, wontons?!' even though i clearly heard her mom order wonton soup. embedded in my brain or something that starter soup is always going to be egg drop with crab/corn or fish maw with red vinegar.

GQBalla
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

gf told me 'order whatever you want, my family will surely eat it'

a safe bet for those occasions is "gone chow ngow houh" check my canto to english spelling...its that dry fried beef noodle

white people and chink people love that shit

max_boost
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I usually eat the ginger beef, sweet sour pork, fried rice etc. AFTER the bar at 2am. It's pretty good. :drool:

KRyn
03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I usually eat the ginger beef, sweet sour pork, fried rice etc. AFTER the bar at 2am. It's pretty good. :drool:

Can we create our own Beyond Epic Meal Time food item in your kitchen some time Boosty?

max_boost
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Can we create our own Beyond Epic Meal Time food item in your kitchen some time Boosty? Kitchen is too small to fit all you meat heads. :D