PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new modem/router on network

heinz256
03-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey guys,

So previously we were having problems with our internet always cutting out at random times. The telus tech came by yesterday and replaced our old modem with a new one (Actiontec V1000H). Before, we had a DLink DIR-655 wireless router hooked up to the modem. Now, the new modem also acts as a router and the dlink router is also connected to the Actiontec via one of the ethernet ports.

My question is if I should disable the wifi on either the dlink or actiontec as I can connect to the internet through either right now. How would i do that if I need to?

Also, should I convert one of them to a wireless access point? Right now, my computers connected to the actiontec cannot see my other computers connected to the dlink. Would converting one of them to a access point make it so that all computers can see each other? Thanks.

eblend
03-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by heinz256
Would converting one of them to a access point make it so that all computers can see each other? Thanks.

Yes, setting the DIR-655 as an access point will make everything be on the same network, thats assuming your DIR-655 is plugged into the Internet port rather then the other ports.

Why keep DIR-655 at all, just switch to telus. It does surprisingly well all on its own.

If you must, disable DHCP on the DIR-655 and connect it to the rest of the network with the other ports (LAN), not the one labeled internet or WAN.

Google, there must be some info on how to convert a dir-655 into an access point, as there may be some other services you have to disable.

Also, telus works on 192.168.1.* subnet, whereas the dir-655 is probably on 192.168.0.* subnet, so change the network on dir-655 to be on the same subnet, at least that way you can connect to it and manage it. Your telus would be set to 192.168.1.254, and set the dir-655 to 192.168.1.1 (notice the 1 in the third octec), this would allow you to access the router from any of your other computer if you want to manage it.

If you are too lazy to do all that, connect everything to telus instead and reconnect to the telus wireless, should work just fine for most people

heinz256
03-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I want to keep the Dir-655 because I currently don't have enough LAN ports for all my wired devices. I guess my main issue is being able to connect all my wired devices using both routers if possible and having all the devices see each other. Right now, the dlink is connected to the telus through one of the lan ports. But a wired device on the dlink cannot see any of the wired devices on the telus router, and vice versa.

speedog
03-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Time to get a switch.

eblend
03-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Exactly, get a switch and save yourself the headache.

Otherwise do what I said about the ip earlier and make sure both of your routers are on the same network. Currently ur dlink is on 192.168.0.1 and ur telus on 192.168.1.network. Make them be on the same 3 octets and they will start talking, dont forget to turn off DHCP on the link as well. The extra ports on the router are actually switch ports, and switches only talk on the same network, they do not route, that is why you can't get traffic from one to the other.

heinz256
03-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Ok thanks, I will try turning the dlink into an access point and see if that works.