PDA

View Full Version : Driving shoes?

Zero102
03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I am looking for a decent set of driving shoes, up until now I have been wearing my runners when I got to auto-x events and rally events, however I have always had a hard time hitting the pedals right (US size 13.5, E width feet don't help...) so I am thinking this year I am going to buy shoes just for driving / racing. I don't care at all about fire rating as it is not important in amateur events.

The advice I have gotten in the past is to buy Puma shoes as they have some specifically designed for motorsports and they are very narrow. I don't care if the shoes are actually a bit too narrow for my feet as I won't be walking in them or wearing them for very long at a go.

I was thinking of getting the Puma Fast Cats, however I can't find them in any stores, let alone in a size 14. I need something narrow and tight because when I get in miatas and other smaller japanese cars my feet just don't fit down there and it makes proper heel-toe and fine throttle control almost impossible until I've had a lot of seat time in that car (which I don't usually get).

Do you guys have any recommendations?
Know anywhere to at least try on some Puma shoes locally that would have them in size 14? I tried a few shoe stores in malls and sports stores but they only had Drift Cat shoes (which would be fine as well) and only up to size 12 so I couldn't even try them on.

know1edge
03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
I was using vans authentics but any thin shoe (canvas material etc) with a medium-thickness, flat sole works for me.

http://a1.zassets.com/images/V/Vans5/13806-d.jpg

J-hop
03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I have the Adidas good years, they are decent for the price and give you a good feel. Puma used to make a really nice one that had a really rounded heel for smooth throttle application(can't remember the model). If I were to go back I would have probably gone for the pumas, granted I don't have much track time under my belt so don't carry much weight on my opinion, but going from a very flat bottomed skate shoe to a slightly more rounded heel In the adidas I noticed a huge difference in throttle control.

A2VR6
03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Take a look at Piloti shoes... Really nice driving shoes but unfortunately you'll have to get them online only.

boarderfatty
03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
I also like Piloti for driving and my DC Prospec 1's (but they are a little wider) Personally for driving now I really like a driving moc or driving loafer but that is not what you are looking for im guessing

georgemagana
03-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Just bough a pair of Puma fast cats about 2 months ago and oh man they are awesome. You should try looking for them online!

CMW403
03-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Paging JordanEG6...

I have very large feet as well, oddly enough I feel the most comfortable driving in my Nike air max lites. Iv tried pumas and I couldn't stand them, way too skinny.

Zero102
03-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by georgemagana
Just bough a pair of Puma fast cats about 2 months ago and oh man they are awesome. You should try looking for them online!

Those were the exact shoes I was considering, I have found them reasonably cheap online but spendind $65 on shoes without even trying them on first, especially when I know they are going to be a bit too narrow already sounds like a big gamble to me.

Are there any local stores that carry them? I hit up most of the major sports stores without any luck :(

Zero102
03-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Take a look at Piloti shoes... Really nice driving shoes but unfortunately you'll have to get them online only.

I had never heard of them before... I see they have a bunch of different shoes, which ones would you recommend from them?

Squishy
03-06-2012, 08:54 AM
I drive barefoot usually in the summer. Including when I was at the track.

bourge73
03-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Illlllllegal... (then again could be wrong, just what I thought...)

boarderfatty
03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

I had never heard of them before... I see they have a bunch of different shoes, which ones would you recommend from them?

I got the leather tamborello or something. it fit a little wider than other models which is why i picked it up.

Personally I would stay away from the fast cat. I find it is more or a casual shoe with a driving look than am actual driving shoe. I find the best driving shoes are the ones with the most round heel and come up the back of the shoe the furthest. the closer the heel looks like a tennis ball, the better it is for driving, because you can move your foot more comfortably nd efficiently around your pedals.

that being said, it is just my opinion when it comes to driving shoes

I attached a picture of each so you can see the difference, though pictures dont do it justice. but when pulling your heel off the pedal or rotating it over, with a sharper heel you always have to make it over that point in the back. the more rolled the smoother the transition

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w351/jordanturbo/1681849-p-2x.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w351/jordanturbo/PR16-2.jpg

civic_stylez
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I have the Piloti Avus and its a great shoe. Gives good feel and are really comfortable!

http://www.shoebuy.com/pi/pilot/pilot372055_201621_jb.jpg

Eleanor
03-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Driving barefoot is illegal :(

But i still do it all the time :D

03ozwhip
03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
ive been using onitsuka tigers, ive had fast cats before and these are leaps better, i love them.

A2VR6
03-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Any of their shoes are really good... i've had the prototipo and they are really comfortable... much wider than the speedcats/future cats which i also have and have better arch support. They do have thicker soles so you lose a bit of pedal feel compared to the Puma's however.

Right now i'm using a pair of Addias Goodyear adi racer lows that I picked up a couple years ago. I absolutely love them but I dont know if they still make that style anymore.

Squishy
03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Realistically unless you get pulled over they aren't going to see your feet lol. Are you trying to tell me you aren't doing something illegal everytime you drive?:devil:

Unknown303
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
Realistically unless you get pulled over they aren't going to see your feet lol. Are you trying to tell me you aren't doing something illegal everytime you drive?:devil:

If mastubating and driving is illegal then yes.

JDMMAN
03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I had to buy my Puma's in the states. I was having a hard time trying to find them in Canada as well.

Alpinestars & Sparco are also others you may want to consider.

ZorroAMG
03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

If mastubating and driving is illegal then yes.

What is that, some kind of procedure?

xnvy
03-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Just get some nice Italian loafers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

Sentry
03-06-2012, 08:07 PM
These aren't "driving shoes", but they're the shoes I wear and drive in every day and I love them.

http://only-sneakers.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/puma-drclyde___.jpg

Rat Fink
03-06-2012, 10:44 PM

J-hop
03-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Driving barefoot is illegal :(

But i still do it all the time :D

Driving barefoot in Canada is NOT illegal....

boarderfatty
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Just get some nice Italian loafers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

Actually there are lots of loafers and mocasins that are designed specifically for driving. You will find that many of them have a rolled heel that comes up the back of the shoe like you will find with other driving shoes

I have a older pair of these botega venetta's with a rolled heel as well as a couple pairs of Cole Haan ones that I find are absolutely awesome for driving in, better than 90% of shoes on the market

If you watch Top Gear, you will see that Jeremy Clarkson will usually wear a pair of driving moc's during the show and while he is driving.

Botegga Venetta (http://www.bottegaveneta.com/default/shop-products/Mens/designer-shoes/espresso-intrecciato-suede-mocassin_804462278.html)

georgemagana
03-06-2012, 11:53 PM

Those were the exact shoes I was considering, I have found them reasonably cheap online but spendind $65 on shoes without even trying them on first, especially when I know they are going to be a bit too narrow already sounds like a big gamble to me.

Are there any local stores that carry them? I hit up most of the major sports stores without any luck :(

You wont regret buying the fastcats. Im on my 3rs pair now and they are by far the best shoes for driving that ive tried BUT they are pretty useless in winter since they get super wet due to the material they are made of but they are by far the best pumas out there for driving. They even feel way better than my puma ferrari high tops.

Zero102
03-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

Actually there are lots of loafers and mocasins that are designed specifically for driving. You will find that many of them have a rolled heel that comes up the back of the shoe like you will find with other driving shoes

I have a older pair of these botega venetta's with a rolled heel as well as a couple pairs of Cole Haan ones that I find are absolutely awesome for driving in, better than 90% of shoes on the market

If you watch Top Gear, you will see that Jeremy Clarkson will usually wear a pair of driving moc's during the show and while he is driving.

Botegga Venetta (http://www.bottegaveneta.com/default/shop-products/Mens/designer-shoes/espresso-intrecciato-suede-mocassin_804462278.html)

Shit, only $500 a set too... That's about double my car budget for the year ;) That won't fly.

I got PM'd a couple of shoe stores that may carry the pumas up to size 14 so I can try them on before I buy them, hopefully one of them will have what I am looking for :)

Zero102
03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Just wanted to post and say that I found a set of pumas in size 13 at Town Shoes in Market Mall and bought them today. Thanks for all the help! They are surprisingly comfortable given how wide my feet are.

e31
03-12-2012, 12:16 AM
btw: Tour Cat > Fast Cat

http://www.shoesgather.com/images/puma-shoes/puma-tour-cat-lo-black-white-shoe.jpg