PDA

View Full Version : Rental Property Owners In Beyond!!!

Kanto_Terrors
03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to give a heads up to all landlords, people who have rental properties (or the likes) in here to watch out for a couple of guys named Mankaran Sandhu and Gurparneet Sekhon (I'm sorry if you have similar names). These guys appear to be nice but are huge pain in the ass and have no regard for the elderly whatsoever. Mankaran drives a grey sebring and he claims he works for Pizza 73 and Gurparneet or "Robin" is a heavy duty mechanic.

They paid the first month's (December) rent before they moved in, but requested if they could start moving in a couple of days earlier and my mom allowed them to at no charge. Enmax bill is also billed to my name, which was very stupid on my part. January rent was also late, but was later paid within the first week of Jan. so it was okay.

February rent is still unpaid. They have tons of excuses and that is why it took this long before my mom finally realized that we should take the matter to RDTRS, which she did. On the court date, the tenants decided not to attend the hearing. When my parents served them the document yesterday, one of the tenants said that they arrived at the court 10 minutes late, which is a total BS because we (including the dispute officer) waited for 15 mins before we started and we finished an hour later. Anyway, tenants' last day in the premises is Mar. 10 at 12 pm.

If you ever have problem tenants, do not even bother serving them the 14 day notice as suggested in the Act, if the tenants are still in the premises, you still need to file an application to terminate the agreement at RDTRS, so just go straight to RDTRS.

I feel like I've left out some details but the main point of this post is to get their names out there, so no one here experience what my mother and I did. There are people out who are opportunist and will take advantage of your kindness.

JudasJimmy
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
thanks for the heads up. hopfully their names show up on google.

TomcoPDR
03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up, unfortuntely these are the pitfalls of rental investment.

It's a 10-15 years+ result avenue to have a property working for the landlord's side... (unless you're a speculative investor catching a boom market, but eventually even the best ones get caught with a few properties unless they unload at a lose)

It's a loser's bet for sure my friend, but compared to other evils (i.e. drinking, gambling, whoring with mistresses, etc...) It's the lesser evil to park some spare cash laying around.

Kanto_Terrors
03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
What I don't understand is what is holding them back to pay the rent? Are they struggling financially or they are just being a complete ass about it?

I didn't properly screen these guys because as I was talking to Robin, when they were looking to rent the unit in November, we discovered that had a common friend. So I thought these guys are okay and proceeded to sign the lease.

Ven
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I'd background check my Grandma if she wanted to rent a place from me. Oh well, lesson learned right OP?

Xtrema
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Ven
I'd background check my Grandma if she wanted to rent a place from me. Oh well, lesson learned right OP?

As a landlord, this.

CUG
03-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Just make sure you know as much as possible about everybody :)

Kanto_Terrors
03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes, lesson learned for sure.

Kanto_Terrors
03-09-2012, 05:06 PM
So the tenants made an application to appeal the decision made by the RDTRS. According to them, they had paid the money owed on Feb. 18. Court hearing is on Mar. 19. Consequently, they also made another application to stay at the apartment until Mar. 19, the court hearing for it was today, which my mom and myself missed because I received the document (they were faxed) just this morning when I came to work at 8:30 am. My mom was at work and I also couldn't make it; it was such a short notice and I couldn't get out of work.

It's starting to look like things are going to get nasty. These guys completely lied to the judge. I can't wait until the next court date.

Xtrema
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Law is not on landlord's side. If you don't screen your tenant, you may as well just burn your house down. It's basically the same thing.

Stunt66
03-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Law is not on landlord's side. If you don't screen your tenant, you may as well just burn your house down. It's basically the same thing.

Totally agree:( it's pretty one sided if you ever go to the tenants are always right court system. I had a nasty tenant about 2 years ago and wasted the filing fee and my time with that bs system.

Anyone got special screening methods they care to share?

Kanto_Terrors
03-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Yeah, that is very true. I don't understand why the law favors the tenant.

Our receptionist said it used to be the other way around, but landlords were abusive of the law.

2.2vtec
03-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Don't rent to brown guys :D

gt35r
03-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Thanks for the heads up, unfortuntely these are the pitfalls of rental investment.

It's a 10-15 years+ result avenue to have a property working for the landlord's side... (unless you're a speculative investor catching a boom market, but eventually even the best ones get caught with a few properties unless they unload at a lose)

It's a loser's bet for sure my friend, but compared to other evils (i.e. drinking, gambling, whoring with mistresses, etc...) It's the lesser evil to park some spare cash laying around.

LOL keep poppin dents!:bigpimp:

mr2mike
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66

Anyone got special screening methods they care to share?

+1

Its not like you can call RBC or TD and have them give you their credit information. They can tell you very minimal info regarding their banking history.

kenny
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

+1

Its not like you can call RBC or TD and have them give you their credit information. They can tell you very minimal info regarding their banking history.

Have tenants consent to credit check on application form, send off their info to a company that can run their credit file for you. Usually a small fee to do this.

An alternative would be to request that your tenants pull their credit file themselves and send you a copy.

You can also pull a tenancy report from some credit check companies to see if they owe money to previous landlords, and/or their general rental history.

max_boost
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

+1

As crazy as it sounds, I usually go with my gut instinct and first impressions when I meet them. It's worked out well 9/10! :eek: No horror stories to report. The only negative was one couple had to move out 3 months in when the guy got transferred for work.

mr2mike
03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm the same so far, max_boost.

Current tenants, I actually declined them out of the gate because their finance records looked horrid (self-disclosed by them, I mean who would lie about unemployment, one was a 1st time renter, etc).
They both called me and spoke to me regarding this. They were honest on their applications (which was a plus). As well, they are in careers that are very cyclical.
To limit my risk, because they were really mature and appeared responsible too, I just got them to pay 1st months, last months rent and a damage deposit. I figured if they could come up with that, they had to have some financial/savings ability.

They've been the best tenants I've had so far. Wish I could keep them in there forever.