PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun 2

hampstor
03-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Commence a whole new set of oneliners.

Maverick is becoming an F-35 test pilot.

It's true.

Tom Burbage, the Lockheed Martin F-35 programme manager, showed up at a National Aeronautics Association luncheon today and dropped a bombshell of a Hollywood scoop. Sure, there was talk about schedules and budgets, partners and politics, software blocks and carrier hooks. But we'll get to that later.

The big news from Burbage's speech involves Top Gun 2, the long-not-quite-awaited-but-certainly-delayed sequel of the 1986 fighter jock classic.

Tom Cruise, of course, confirmed back in December that the sequel is coming, but nobody -- not even IMDB (we checked) -- knows the full story.

But Burbage does. Lockheed's Fort Worth, Texas, factory and flight test center will host production crew in the "next month or so" to start filming, Burbage told the NAA luncheon crowd.

Burbage also confirmed that Cruise will not just make a cameo; he will be the star, and he is playing the role of a Lockheed F-35 test pilot!

Potential plot twists fill our heads.

There will be no need to resurrect Goose, as the F-35 is a single-seater. With the Libyan air force in smouldering ruins, there will also be no need to stage another improbable yet inspiring combat scenario. Indeed, as a test pilot, it's not clear how the movie's writers can weave Maverick into a combat situation.

Maybe we've been covering the industry too long, but our perfect plot for Top Gun 2 has no combat sequences at all. Instead, it goes like this:

Maverick is a test pilot struggling to keep the flight test programme on schedule, even though his better judgment is sometimes compromised by a lifelong, paralyzing fear of vertical landings. Maverick almost throws in the towel after his favourite knee board/test card holder is destroyed in an unfortunate lift fan malfunction. Meanwhile, the programme's enemies, led by the snearing Bill "Iceman" Sweetman and Karlo "Slider" Kopp, take advantage of Maverick's absence to nearly bury the programme in a wave of seemingly overwhelming blog attacks. That's when Maverick's love interest -- a Texas congresswoman strategically placed on the AirLand subcommittee -- intervenes. She gives Maverick her father's last knee board (er, her father was also a test pilot ... just go with it) and literally pushes him back into the cockpit. Maverick straps on the knee board, takes the Block 3 software build out for a spin, hits every test point and -- for the finale -- lands vertically right on top of Aviation Week's building in downtown Washington DC. And that's when Kenny Loggins starts singing.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/03/top-gun-2-will-rock-the-f-35-t.html

Go4Long
03-07-2012, 12:02 PM
so excited...hehe

msommers
03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I hope this turns out well but you just cannot out-do Tom Cruise in the 80's!

CUG
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm so jacked for this.

n1zm0
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
so excited...hehe

:werd: hasn't been a good jet fighter oriented hollywood movie for a long time

should go buy some Ray-Ban shares quick.

sexualbanana
03-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I'm so jacked for this.

I bet you said that about the volleyball scene too

diamondedge
03-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Is it just me or does the plot description sound incredibly boring.

Tik-Tok
03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
Is it just me or does the plot description sound incredibly boring.

You mean the completely made-up, fictitious plot that the journalist wrote, and has nothing to do with the real one, that no one knows yet?

That one?

Xtrema
03-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I bet you said that about the volleyball scene too

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpr6cpiD441qaexi3.png

diamondedge
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You mean the completely made-up, fictitious plot that the journalist wrote, and has nothing to do with the real one, that no one knows yet?

That one?

I missed the line where that's what they envisioned as the plot. No wonder movies get bad reviews when they're awesome...

SCHIDER23
03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/NEGRITO39/desk-flip.png