PDA

View Full Version : Rap World = Slackers

hockeybronx
02-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey I just need to vent a little bit.

My favorite artist is Eminem and second is D12.

Last May D12 said their album would be out in the summer. I kept checking aftermaths website and it kept getting delayed. Now it's saying the release date is in May.

Eminems release date for what will likely be his last album way claimed to be in January. It's now bumped to fall of 2004.

I know I'm impatient, but what the hell happens for these dates to be continuously bumped back and back? They wonder why everybody starts ripping songs off the internet.

finboy
02-01-2004, 12:13 AM

how long has dre's album been bumped back?

they need to get out d12's album as fast as they can so dre can focus on his own album (er...get everyone to write his lyrics for his album).

either way, i'm waiting for yet another 2pac album this year. the good thing about 2pac is that the music is already made, so all they do is throw a beat on, and boom, new double ablum :rofl:

AccordTypeR
02-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Dres cd is suppost to be out witner 2004, hes working on ice cubes cd wich is suppost to be released in the summer, and hes making beats for eves new album. so detox, wich is dre's last cd wont be out for a while. and dont forget that he just finished knoc'turnals new cd.

finboy
02-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by AccordTypeR
Dres cd is suppost to be out witner 2004, hes working on ice cubes cd wich is suppost to be released in the summer, and hes making beats for eves new album. so detox, wich is dre's last cd wont be out for a while. and dont forget that he just finished knoc'turnals new cd.

and d12's...and working on 50's, end em's, etc.

that lazy bastard needs to start working on his own, i want a solid follow up to 2001, damn that album was good.

K271
02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
It's not the easiest thing to make albums. These guys tour so much, participate into many events getting into the studio is a difficult thing. And since they are so big they are often asked to do spots on other people's tracks or help produce. As a musician myself I've been making recordings for the past 5 years and from experience it takes forever to get the quality one wants for anything. Sometimes it takes an entire day just to record one track.

The EquAzn
02-02-2004, 01:32 PM
I agree with K271.

Look at it this way, would you rather wait for an awesome classic CD, or have one come out every 4 months like Master P and Juvenile.

Plus imagine how their skills have grown in the last 2 years? They are gonna "come back" with something freaking awesome.

And with Eminem "taking a break". Imagine what he comes back with in 2 years. Just wait till Rakim finally drops another album, its gonna be disgusting.

They bust it smart, you don't want people to get sick of you, but merely to think of you all the time.

And yeah, to make an album, it should take you more than a year atleast.

hockeybronx
02-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah I guess you guys are right. I'll just have to wait for the albums. It's funny how you want them so bad but within a month or two you kind of get sick of some tracks, especially when the radio plays them 8 or 9 times a day.

I guess it was kind of a useless thread, it's not like me sitting on beyond.ca was going to change anything anyways.

However when the new D12 album and Eminem's album do get released I know I will be the first in stores to buy the freakin things:thumbsup:

Ajay
02-02-2004, 02:37 PM
I saw a show on VH1 a couple days ago relating to upcoming rap releases.

They said Dr. Dre, Eminem, and 50 Cent's new albums will probably be released by summertime which makes sense. Two summers ago Eminem was HUGE with Without Me.....makes sense to bring out their albums in summer time.

Rakim, Kayne West, and Scarface are all coming out with new albums within the next couple of months as well. I don't think they're being slackers. What they're doing is perfecting their albums to make sure the peeps that buy their albums are happy with what they produced! Would rather wait and hear a wicked album rather than have it released right away and be on here bitching that I wasted my $14.99!

The EquAzn
02-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Rakim is getting jerked around, he's switched record labels like 3 times haha
I didn't like Scarface's last one too much, I hope his new one is better.
Don't care much for Kayne or D12 or Em, but Dre & 50 should be tight, but G-unit was crap, so I think 50 should slow it down a little, maybe wait till atleast August better yet, another year.

NrvouS
02-02-2004, 03:42 PM
The next album from Dr. Dre, The Detox, probably won't hit the street until 2005, said Scott Storch, a co-producer working on the disc. But, he insists, it will be well worth the wait.

"I'd describe it as the most advanced rap album musically and lyrically we'll probably ever have a chance to listen to," he said.

Dre has been working on the LP over the past year, and he and Storch have built dozens of beds of beats, various innovative rhythms and the skeletons for numerous songs, all of which are being fleshed out. No tracks have been titled yet and no final cuts chosen.

"When I work with Dre, he usually does more than 100 records and then picks his favorites," Storch said. "But there are all kinds of new rhythms in there. He always tries to stay a couple of steps ahead of the field. There's gonna be a lot of personal stuff on the album and a lot of hot sh--."

Creating the "most advanced" rap album is no easy task, especially when, like Dre, you're a perfectionist with a reputation as a visionary leader. "Dr. Dre always tries to top his last one," Storch said. "That's why he spends so much time putting them together and they don't come out every five minutes. He puts a lot of time, energy and genius into the stuff."

Like Dre's 1999 album, Chronic 2001, The Detox will feature numerous guest stars. Storch said Eminem, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg and Knoc-Turn'al would record parts as well as newer names like Lloyd Banks, Guvner and Game.

"The whole family is gonna be on there," Storch said. "If not the last Dre album, this is gonna be one of the last Dre albums we're gonna get. So he's putting a lot into it. It's just a matter of making a classic experience" (see "Dr. Dre's Final Album Will Be Hip-Hop Musical").

—Jon Wiederhorn

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/14...?headlines=true

Redlyne_mr2
02-02-2004, 07:42 PM
The Rap world consists of low lifes, criminals and gangsters did you expect anything more?

hockeybronx
02-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The Rap world consists of low lifes, criminals and gangsters did you expect anything more?

Yeah you are right, it's too bad they are the ones making millions of dollars and are living the lives we can only dream of.

However it makes you wonder who will win the race in the end...

nismodrifter
02-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

and then possibly come back and rub shit in their face :dunno: :D :rofl: you and your shady shit

Redlyne_mr2
02-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Yeah you are right, it's too bad they are the ones making millions of dollars and are living the lives we can only dream of.

I wouldnt really want the types of lives alot of those guys live. Alot of them need constant protection otherwise they'll be killed, and if they live past 30 theyve most likely spent most of the money they made in their youth. They can have the thug life

K271
02-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Hockeybronx... you're just stuck in a place where the radio station only has 10 songs in their rotation. Here in NYC, I very rarely here the same song twice in the same day. They have a long play list. I listen to Hot 97, they have some of the world's most famous DJ's... Funk Flex, Fatman Scoop, Green Lantern, DJ Enuff, Coco Chanel, to name a few... check out website and their play list, it's pretty extensive.

www.hot97.com

hockeybronx
02-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

and then possibly come back and rub shit in their face :dunno: :D :rofl: you and your shady shit

You idiot what I was referring to was something deeper... like who will be better off in eternity.

You call yourself a Sikh? Just kidding big mick.

Hakkola
02-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Most new Rap music just plain f'n sucks. You know why you get tired of this shit so fast? Because they process the SHIT out of them.

Give me some old Pharcyde or something and I can listen to it all day for as many days as I want, it's because it's imperfect that the songs stay classic.

50 cent and all these new "rappers" f'n suck, learn to write some lyrics, asshole.

Redlyne_mr2
02-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by K271
Hockeybronx... you're just stuck in a place where the radio station only has 10 songs in their rotation. Here in NYC, I very rarely here the same song twice in the same day. They have a long play list. I listen to Hot 97, they have some of the world's most famous DJ's... Funk Flex, Fatman Scoop, Green Lantern, DJ Enuff, Coco Chanel, to name a few... check out website and their play list, it's pretty extensive.

www.hot97.com
Yah I dont like rap probably because the rap we get up here is all mainstream garbage. There's alot of really good underground artists in your neck of the woods however who would make me eat my words about people in the rap industry not having talent and being nothing but thugs

K271
02-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Rappers aren't just thugs... Musically, Eminem and 50 Cent are two of the greatest lyricists ever. Hakkola said they can't write lyrics... they can. Do you have any clue what it takes to write? The understanding of a 4 bar phrase, knowledge of rhythms including cross and poly rhythms. Knowing how certain words rhyme with one another, stringing together a bunch of words to make it cohesive, and just the pure raw talent it takes to rap. Eminem may have the fastest tongue when it comes down to rapping.

Like any musician, it takes an incredible amount of skill and raw talent. Look at the crap that American Idol puts out, it's not that easy. There are so many people who never make it, they try and get rejected. Those guys did pretty well for a bunch of thugs with no talent. I can name a bunch of rappers who could amaze any one with their skills. Think of "Scratch" the DJ from the Roots, he's the human beat box. Amazing skills, tell me it didn't take time to work up that ability. He makes all the sounds that a DJ does without the turntable. It's all done with his mouth.

Though many of them are former thugs does it matter? They got out of the game, and yes they will have to watch their back. You don't think they know that? One of 50's line goes "I know God will watch my back but I will be protected by my Gat". It doesn't matter that they are thugs, they make music, they are doing what they want to do in life so why fault their previous life? It has built their character and who they are, just like your past has made you.

Hakkola
02-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by K271
It doesn't matter that they are thugs, they make music, they are doing what they want to do in life so why fault their previous life? It has built their character and who they are, just like your past has made you.

:werd: I'm going to agree with most of what you said, however... I do know what it takes to write. As for Eminem having the fastest tongue, he doesn't even come close, I can spit way faster than him. Ever heard of Twista - From the tip of my tongue, or - tongue twista ??? That's fast, eminem is slow. Even LL Cool J back in the day with Shut 'Em Down spit faster than Eminem ever has. The average person can keep up and "sing along" with any Eminem song, Twista is a different story... Eminem has the ability to write good lyrics though, I'll agree, but as far as mainstream hip hop goes, he's one of the few exceptions rather than the rule.

Eminem is a good lyricist, 50 cent is not, in fact he'd be one of my votes for worst lyricists of the past 10 years.

The EquAzn
02-03-2004, 02:24 PM
I agree with K271 again.

Eminem even though I hate him has got crazy skill, its not about speed that he boasts, but that he can rhyme entire sentences rather than just spit them fast. Can't think of an example right now but yeah... Twista can rhyme his last word, and say the in between fast... guys like eminem, eyedea, AdeEm and even Big L have the ability to use their whole lines to flow with the beat. That takes hectic talent.

AdeEm:
Incompatible dramatical steps of battle purity/
actual factual breaths of shallow insecuirty/

Twista:
rainy dark early morn,
lethal legacy was born,
Ask any rapper Bout the fuckin mics I've torn

See the diff?
Plus I couldn't even think of a twista song that he didn't use the n-word of f-word every second word. Same thing with Em and 50.

Bronx you sound young, you probably haven't been listening to hip hop that long. But back to the topic at hand... yeah I guess you have to wait for their CDs. and the current "Rap" world is just thugs and gangsters, and releasing a CD takes time, or when they run out of money they'll speed it up.

Hakkola
02-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Ohh, I'm not saying Twista is a lyrical genius by any means, just comparing the speeds at which they rhyme.

I don't really like Eminem either, some songs are good but the content is getting tired, have to respect him though and there's no denying his talent, 50 cent however is an entirely different story.

ninjak84
02-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I wouldnt really want the types of lives alot of those guys live.

Haha I agree....
Yay for jail time, shootouts, lawsuits, and having 14 children with 7 different mothers!

yankeefan
02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Haha I agree....
Yay for jail time, shootouts, lawsuits, and having 14 children with 7 different mothers!

People have always been fascinated with the billy the kids/jesse james/doc holidays of the world. Your not surprised people are into the outlaw types are you? Im certainly not. Most people would say they dont want that lifestyle, but they are fascinated nonetheless.

K271
02-03-2004, 08:28 PM
I have a couple rare cd's of Eminem when he wasn't big, when he was still doing the free style battles in Detroit. They are pretty ridiculous. There's one track where his buddy is throwing out words at him to free style too, words included "animal crackers, kurt russel, preperation H" and he was able to make something out of these words. It's pretty amazing.

I have heard of Twista, like someone already said he raps small phrases, nothing like Em who can rhyme for hours without a break. LL Cool J was something else, he had some mad rhyming skills, I totally agree with you on that. KRS 1 can also be put in to that same boat as well.

50 has great rhyming talent... I'm sick of his stuff though, if anything is over played it's his stuff.

Bronx... maybe you should check out other rappers, not just Em and his Shady crew... there's the Rocafella Crew, Bennie Siegel and Freeway are pretty ridiculous. And the old school rap will always represent... and I'm not talking 1995 old school, more like KRS 1, Big Daddy Kane, Monnie Love... I think you may find some great stuff there if you already don't know about it.

Hakkola
02-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Ahhhh, you and I have different definition of rhyming talent, some of 50's lines may sounds good, it's the content and lack of difficulty in multies etc that turns me off to him, most his stuff seems pretty elementary to me, and this is the reason why I don't like him. He has a couple good songs I like that weren't played on the radio, most of it is shit though in my opinion.

The elementary stuff I can handle, mostly if it's old school because at least that shit was creative and made you think. Like Nice & Smooth with sometimes I rhyme slow, and when Eric B and Rakim were doing their bit, and you can't forget A tribe called quest - can I kick it? That's when hip-hop was fun, Naughty by Nature was goin with the playa thing with O.P.P, and it was tight, now what do we have? 50 Cent with 21 questions, which in my opinion sucks, we have Ja rule lickin nuts, and for the past couple years I've been hatin on Jay-z, until the Black Album which he should have called The Redeemer, IMO not his best work but way better then his other work lately...

HAHA, sorry about my hip hop rant...

I heard the stuff with Eminem back in the day, it was pretty good...

K271
02-03-2004, 09:44 PM
i'm glad you hate Ja Rule as well, he's a punk, him and Ashanti should just give it up, I can't stand any of their music. Agreed, Naughty by Nature, Tribe, Nice n' Smooth were legends. I heard Nice n' Smooth at the Roots concert here in NYC last year, they were ridiculous. Speaking of the Roots, Razelle and Scratch are great. And I also like the work of Common and Talib Kweli. They are unique, and not part of the commercial trend.

Hakkola
02-03-2004, 10:06 PM
The Roots :D Breakin you off is a recent song that I have to say is one of my all time favorites, they also did a kinda hard rock song a lil' while ago didn't they??? Can't remember what it was called but it had an interesting sound.

Can't believe I forgot about Ashanti, haha, she's the worst live singer I've ever heard...

Common and Talib :thumbsup: Talib gets some airplay up here, at least he did during the summer, most the music up here is too mainstream on the radio, I hate it.

hockeybronx
02-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by The EquAzn
Bronx you sound young, you probably haven't been listening to hip hop that long.

:whocares: What the hell does this have to do with anything? I'm 18 years old so call me what you want, and I've lived the rap world for four solid years now.

You are definetely taking this thread for more than what it was. The simple fact is that I don't understand why they keep pushing back the release dates. What initially makes someone say a cd will be out on such and such a date, and then it is really released 14 months later.

"Bronx you sound young"?
Well EquAzn you sound like a retard cause you aren't making any sense at all.:english:

The EquAzn
02-03-2004, 10:49 PM
4 years isn't much man.
And the people you talk about, and the way you talk about them sound like you listen to Vibe and bought a 50 cent yesterday. Especially how you defended the "rap world sucks" comments.

Anyway I'm out of this thread.
:drama:

AccordTypeR
02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
If you want to hear some fast rapping listen to bone thugs n harmony! those guys are quick, take bizzy bone for example equally comparable to tiwista. Not only are they quick but they have sick ass lyrics, and if you want to hear somethign amasing get the song "cant give it up" by bone thugs in harmony. Listen to the last verse, its Flesh n bone, one of the fastest verses i have ever heard:thumbsup:

Hakkola
02-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Bone thugs isn't as fast as twista still, I've never heard a bone thugs song I couldn't keep up with when the lyrics are in front of me, Twista is a different story, only person I think that I would say is a NEAR equal is Busta Rhymes

yankeefan
02-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Big Jaz the guy on Jay-Z's song 'nigga what, nigga who' spits pretty fast. Though thats the only song I remember him from, dunno if he came out with an album.

finboy
02-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by AccordTypeR
If you want to hear some fast rapping listen to bone thugs n harmony! those guys are quick, take bizzy bone for example equally comparable to tiwista. Not only are they quick but they have sick ass lyrics, and if you want to hear somethign amasing get the song "cant give it up" by bone thugs in harmony. Listen to the last verse, its Flesh n bone, one of the fastest verses i have ever heard:thumbsup:

bone thugz kick ass.

thug love with tupac was a great song :thumbsup:

sin
02-05-2004, 01:21 AM
im with equazn, its not about being able to put random words that half-relevantly fit together to form a rhyme. To be really good the flow has to be perfect, complex rhyme schemes and shit like that, and 4 years isnt much, im almost 17 and ive been listening for almost 9 years.
i also respect equazns post cause ive seen him battle...

RiCE-DaDDy
02-05-2004, 01:54 AM
to sum it up, a lot of new shit sucks...

i find myself listening to stuff over 10 yrs old lol

but guys like dre, ice cube, ll cool j are always good cuz they been in this game since the beginning so they now what they are doing.

Hakkola
02-05-2004, 02:16 AM
LL Cool J WAS good, everything I've heard over the past two years has sucked, that's what's been played on the radio... I don't even know if he's dropped any records lately, I don't really care either.

Ben
02-05-2004, 02:35 AM
:(

Westside Connection Represent!

\X/

haha

.90 caliber
02-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Shit mayn rap is fading. The grimey shit straight from the streets, word to Onyx and Wu Tang, Biggie, KRS One, Scarface, Big Pun, Pac, No Limit...shit they all disappeared. Now we left with bullshit vibe on every channel and station. everyone need a dose of dirty underground rap. fawk

RiCE-DaDDy
02-09-2004, 11:47 PM
im not really into gangsta rap as much, but plenty of LA underground is good :)

bunos
02-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Man. I tell you. I used to spin the clubs in the early 90's and that was a great time for hip hop music. There was still something to say in the music coupled with dope samples of 60's and 70's jazz and blues tracks. In my mind, it's too bad that classic acts like De La Soul, Common, The Roots, etc. had to change their formula to suit the new "jiggy/bumpintheclub/anthem" sound of today. Granted there is a lot of talent out there, but unfortunately mainstream pays the big bucks and a lot of artists just want some of the BLING.

There are a few that still don't conform and you gotta respect like Jeru Tha Damaja and Guru of Gangstarr. If you can look back and see what the original message was when hip hop was born, you'd probably be as disgruntled as I am as to where it is today. Some people may argue as well that hip hop was a release, a form of party music to distract from the goings-on in the ghetto. I agree, but it was also a voice. And a lot of us respected that.

In any case, it's good to see that it survived the years, and there are still artists in the game doing what they love to do. Not everyone can like everything, hey I listened to Vibe 98.5 for two days when it first hit the airwaves, haven't listened since. Still stuck in the past I guess.