PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Smoke Detector

triplep
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Long story short, our tenants say they are not smoking inside the unit (it is a non-smoking unit) but we have reason to believe they are. The place smells like cigarette smoke.. but they say its from the clothing. My parents used to smoke, but they always did it outside, and our home inside never smelled like smoke.

Just wondering if there is a place to buy these locally? I have been able to find some online, but they want a minimum 1000 units and they come from china. I was hoping to pick it up local, any help would be appreciated.

n1zm0
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
but if you had to be notified, wouldn't it need to communicate to you wirelessly or w/e that someone had indeed had a cigarette inside?

i would think most of them would sound a buzzer like fire or CO detectors do? the expensive kind will relay through the internet im guess you already found that out.

in anycase, slip non mechanical chemical CO detector somewhere might work, we have some aviation types to detect cockpit exhaust leaks, . last 18 months, pretty small especially if you remove it out of the main card type housing. you can get them @ calgary pilot's supply

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VLHf0AmLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

triplep
03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
hmmmmmmmmm no even a sound alarm would be fine. As long as it is loud and annoying that would work. I can find a few online (the ones for commercial applications in restrooms) but even something along those lines would be great.

I am not sure if a CO detector would work? As I have no idea what comes out of the cigarette when it is smoked?

elite
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/smoke-carbon-monoxide-detectors/172982?gclid=CMmUqK-I2K4CFQKEhwodrR0hfA

It'd definitely be hard to catch them if you are not around as they could just easily turn it off. You may be able to get someone to come in and do a air quality test to test for carbon monoxide. Other then that look for signs (ashes, ash trays, etc.) and pay them random visits to see if you can catch them in the act.

cigarettes do let off carbon monoxide (I believe).

GQBalla
03-08-2012, 02:06 PM
don't you have to give them 24 hours of each visit?

triplep
03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
don't you have to give them 24 hours of each visit?

I don't know maybe? that isn't my area of expertise, nor does it have anything to do with the question i asked. But if it is audible, then you don't have to enter the unit.

Kloubek
03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Are these tenants in your house? Ie: Basement?

If so, if you set up some sort of audible alarm you could come down and claim you felt it was an emergency. (An emergency negates the 24 hour rule)

triplep
03-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Are these tenants in your house? Ie: Basement?

If so, if you set up some sort of audible alarm you could come down and claim you felt it was an emergency. (An emergency negates the 24 hour rule)

Nope, they aren't we just know the people next door (duplex) and if it was an audible sound and they heard it, it would confirm to us that we know they were smoking.