PDA

View Full Version : 'Ring copy in Nevada?



Revhard
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5891398/man-wants-to-build-exact-copy-of-nurburgring-in-nevada

Xtrema
03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
As much as I want to believe, I don't think they can get the elevations right.

Phl0xed
03-08-2012, 02:54 PM
For the right price, anything can be done. This would definitely be a worthy investment!

spikerS
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
nah, the elevations won't be hard to do, relatively speaking.

I would imagine the big hurdle would be getting the state to "Donate" the requested 8000 acres...

Tik-Tok
03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by spikers
nah, the elevations won't be hard to do, relatively speaking.

I would imagine the big hurdle would be getting the state to "Donate" the requested 8000 acres...

Won't be a hurdle, if there's a large enough kick-back involved.

So instead of creating an all-new, awesome, better than, but inspired by Nürburgring track.. he wants an exact duplicate? Must be Chinese.

Mibz
03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
So instead of creating an all-new, awesome, better than, but inspired by Nürburgring track.. he wants an exact duplicate? Must be Chinese. If it weren't identical it would be "imperfect" or "a cheap knockoff" to most people. It would be way harder to market to the everyman. There wouldn't be nearly as much hype.

Not that I disagree with your sentiment.

xnvy
03-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If it weren't identical it would be "imperfect" or "a cheap knockoff" to most people. It would be way harder to market to the everyman. There wouldn't be nearly as much hype.

Not that I disagree with your sentiment. There's that too, but what's the point of having two nurburgrings, there's will always be the "real" one. He should build an identical copy of Maple Valley on Forza. or a street circuit like Monaco.

Kardon
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
There's that too, but what's the point of having two nurburgrings,

:thumbsdow


The more nurburgrings the better! :hitit:

Mibz
03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
I think the point is that very few people can afford to go to Germany to drive, fewer still can afford to bring their own car. This makes something as iconic as the 'Ring accessible to millions more drivers, as well as cheaper for American car manufacturers to use for testing and marketing.

The whole point of this thing is to make money, not to make a kickass track. The 'Ring is the perfect track to rake it in. Making a duplicate of Monaco would probably be very successful as well, though certainly less so than this. I would <3 forever if somebody built Maple Valley, haha, but the draw just isn't there.

89s1
03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
what's the point of having two nurburgring

I can drive my car to vegas, I cannot drive my car to germany.


that about sums it up for me. :dunno:

xnvy
03-08-2012, 08:15 PM
^Fine fine fine, I see your point lol.
What if they did the Nurburgring but they replaced the GP track with a permanent version of Monaco complete with tunnel. haha. Hell he should make a 'Ring, Monaco, Maple, and de la Sarth. All in one large park with a hotel overlooking them all, true vegas style. ...(and slowly reality begins to set in.)

Revhard
03-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
...(and slowly reality begins to set in.)

...that they would be scaled down copies like the other things in Vegas from this guy!;)

Mibz
03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah I'd totally stay at a hotel where I'm woken up at 6am every day by the sound a Civic with straight pipes.

flipstah
03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I can see those exotic car rentals in Vegas supporting this. If not, WTF is wrong with you?!

Here's to making it happen! As someone mentioned, I can drive to Vegas. Not so much Germany...

:thumbsup: :burnout:

syritis
03-10-2012, 03:16 PM
nurburgring is a fuckin scary course. no much room for run out so i'm not all that sure the exotic clubs would be enthused about letting a bunch of tourists with no track experience race there.

89s1
03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Pffft. With all the open land in nevada this thing could have 1/4 mile long runoffs at almost every corner

DEATH2000
03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Are they doing the full Nordeschliefe course or the F1 course? It didnt specify, and the picture shows the bottom of the F1 course.

Zewind
03-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Road trip! :thumbsup:

kevie88
03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Brown Dusty Hell?

Xtrema
03-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I can see those exotic car rentals in Vegas supporting this. If not, WTF is wrong with you?!

Here's to making it happen! As someone mentioned, I can drive to Vegas. Not so much Germany...

:thumbsup: :burnout:

Liability is much higher with a full track with random people of the strip driving it.

I would be happen if they just bring ring taxi back.

flipstah
03-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema


Liability is much higher with a full track with random people of the strip driving it.

I would be happen if they just bring ring taxi back.

Well, you'd still be going through orientation and appointments. It's like what they have now in the LV Speedway.

Xtrema
03-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by flipstah


Well, you'd still be going through orientation and appointments. It's like what they have now in the LV Speedway.

That's controlled, short and not very technical. At best you are just remembering 5 to 6 corners with no elevation.

AndyL
03-11-2012, 04:05 PM
This would actually entice me to visit Nevada... No interest in pretty much anything else in NV, so... :)

flipstah
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema


That's controlled, short and not very technical. At best you are just remembering 5 to 6 corners with no elevation.

Point taken. That's why they also do practice laps with a trained pro before they venture you out on your own.

I think a pro can tell if you're ready for some grippin' and rippin'. Easier to give a refund than to see a Ferrari go up in flames.

On a side note, what does happen to these exotic car rentals if a person crashes it? I don't think my insurance covers that.. lol.

Canmorite
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM
What about heat wise in Nevada? No better place to build it? :dunno:

Xtrema
03-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by flipstah


Point taken. That's why they also do practice laps with a trained pro before they venture you out on your own.

I think a pro can tell if you're ready for some grippin' and rippin'. Easier to give a refund than to see a Ferrari go up in flames.

On a side note, what does happen to these exotic car rentals if a person crashes it? I don't think my insurance covers that.. lol.

They do discover laps but you have to make mental notes. And once you are behind the wheels, it is different and you have to adapt. Given a lap @ LV Speedway is less than a minute. It's pretty easy to know the lap well by 3rd lap.


But for the ring, you are looking at 10mins per lap. It's tougher unless the packages are hours long.

Anyhow, any exotic you rent outside the track comes with insurance or have insurance available. But deductible is very high like $10k.

94boosted
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm all for this but I highly doubt they would be able to replicate the ring exactly and even if they managed to do that the altitude ASL and climate is a lot different so the times wouldn't be comparable :dunno:

flipstah
03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema


They do discover laps but you have to make mental notes. And once you are behind the wheels, it is different and you have to adapt. Given a lap @ LV Speedway is less than a minute. It's pretty easy to know the lap well by 3rd lap.


But for the ring, you are looking at 10mins per lap. It's tougher unless the packages are hours long.


Well if the 'Ring does happen in Vegas, I'm sure that these rental places will think of a plan.


Originally posted by Xtrema
Anyhow, any exotic you rent outside the track comes with insurance or have insurance available. But deductible is very high like $10k.

... Fuck.

Revhard
03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
I'm all for this but I highly doubt they would be able to replicate the ring exactly and even if they managed to do that the altitude ASL and climate is a lot different so the times wouldn't be comparable :dunno:

Does the current time list factor in the DA? Conditions?
I don't know if they are going for comparable times, just the same format for the total car evaluation it offers. Having a much more local yardstick I believe is the idea.

Sugarphreak
03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Stupid idea :thumbsdow
Instead of making a world class track of his own he is copying one at a larger expense and it will always be the second best when compared with the original.

With today's technology, a better course than the Nürburgring could be created.

ekguy
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Beyond cruise?

:D :poosie: :burnout:

94boosted
03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Revhard


Does the current time list factor in the DA? Conditions?
I don't know if they are going for comparable times, just the same format for the total car evaluation it offers. Having a much more local yardstick I believe is the idea.

That's actually a good point my only thought there was that when a manufacturer goes out to set a time for a new performance car they probably wait for favorable conditions i.e. dry & warm. So like you say times wouldn't be comparable even in similar weather conditions.