PDA

View Full Version : Wish Me Luck!

project240
03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Back in July of last year I was out working one day outside and stepped on a loose rock and took a tumble. I couldn't walk and knew immediately I had hurt my ankle pretty badly.

After jumping through hoops with WCB and visiting numerous hospitals, doctors, therapists and having many xrays, MRIs, WCB finally decided to send me to see an orthopedic surgeon (which I had actually requested 2 days after the accident)

Within 5 minutes of seeing the surgeon he determined that I had in fact torn my Distal Tibialis Anterior, right below my ankle where it attaches to the inside of the foot. Because of the extent of the inury, my options were either to have it surgically repaired or leave it alone, which would leave me unable to do any running/jumping/etc and over time would cause numerous other balance/stability problems. After hearing this and doing some of my own research, I felt like the only real decision was when.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/project240/tibialisanterior.jpg

I just had my last visit to the surgeon this morning to have a final checkup before surgery on Monday. This is my second surgery on the same ankle, so I am somewhat familiar with the process, however, it's still extremely tough to prepare for the recuperation process.

I'm going to have a lot of free time in the upcoming months as the good doctor has advised a recovery time of 4-6 months. I'm hopeful and expect everything to go as smoothly as it can, but still obviously a little nervous.

I'll be semi-mobile within a day or two with crutches, but moving at a much slower pace.

Anyways, wish me luck!

dandia89
03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
good luck buddy!!:thumbsup:

KRyn
03-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Who is your surgeon?

project240
03-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Who is your surgeon?

Dr. Iain Russell @ Talisman

C_Dave45
03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Ow! Holy shit, man!! That is painful! I tore the deltoid ligament in a fight in hockey and I was on crutches for 3 weeks. Hurt worse than a break.

project240
03-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Ow! Holy shit, man!! That is painful! I tore the deltoid ligament in a fight in hockey and I was on crutches for 3 weeks. Hurt worse than a break.

Yeah, it is painful. I can walk on it alright, but since the accident I haven't been able to do any physical activity (anything with impact) and that's what really hurts.

I'm going to be in a regular cast for 8-10 weeks and an air cast for another 8-10 weeks after that... lots to look forward to:nut:

littledan
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Good luck man! Sign up on pokerstars so you can at least kill some time!

project240
03-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by littledan
Good luck man! Sign up on pokerstars so you can at least kill some time!

Haha, I haven't played online for awhile. I am planning on taking another course during my down time, but have been contemplating starting to play live again on a more regular basis.

I started playing poker 7 or 8 years ago, after my 1st ankle surgery... and I ended up playing for 9 months FT after recovering because I was doing well and having fun.