PDA

View Full Version : Mods for MR2 JDM Turbo engine

LaughingTiger
09-16-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm putting a 93 MR2 turbo JDM engine in my 91 MR2 in Nov/Dec,
and I was wondering what mods I should do while the engine is
out? It's the full package ; full engine, transaxel, comp, turbo, intercooler, etc.. How can I make better performance w/ out upgrading the turbo (yet)? Cams? rods? pins?pullys? The engine
I'm putting In has about 60-70km.. just broke in I hope

And If anybody knows where to get the 94 coversion tails
and how much they are, that wound be great.

nookmumracing
09-16-2002, 01:45 PM
Good to hear another J-spec 3S is going to be born. Get all your pipes, shields, manifold etc ceramic coated. A good chance to probe a EGT sensor into the manifold if you want. Make sure your bolts and gaskets are new and secure cause I ran into the problem where a couple bolts fell out and caused an exhaust leak, which sucked. Cams and pulleys you can do but not important. A couple things you should do is change all your belts, check basic parts, make sure your alternator is good etc. Little things like that costs lots for labor, good old midship, I learned the hard way. Redlyne will hook you up with any parts you need. I think he did a swap so he can give you tips and other things you can do while the motor is out.

94 tail lights you can get off the group buy on the MR2 forum board.mr2faq.com or go talk to Jamie(mr2uned) at Stampede Lexus and he will hook you up.

Peace

Redlyne_mr2
09-17-2002, 09:48 AM
hey man ..so you';re going with the gen 2 225hp engine nice choice. As nookmum said make sure all your gaskets, bolts etc are replace, might as well change the tbelt, and water pump whiel your at it as well, all these things are super easy to change with the engine out, a new headgasket is also a good idea as are head studs, arp makes great studs and for the headgasket Id go with a TTE (toyota team europe). Make sure you have all your preventative maintenance covered before you go an further, then change your plugs wires, cap, rotor to optimize your ignition. An intake, exhuast and downpipe will make a huge difference. After that its tiem to add some fuel and boost, an apexi afc or any sort of other electronic fueal management is a good idea especially if you plan on raising the boost with a boost controller, the stock mr2 intercooler isnt very efficient and si another thing that shoudl get scrapped, after that I'd modify the fuel rail or get a dueal feed fuel rail, something that is very importnant when running boost on those cars...the list goes on forever but if you have any more questions let me know

RYAN

LaughingTiger
09-17-2002, 10:50 AM
I've heard of people using some supra parts, like fuel pump and
injectors is this a good choice. I have a friend at toyota.:dunno:

Is garage fukui exhuast any good?I was looking at getting that.

Should I up-grade my clutch too?:dunno:

Thanx for all the help. It seems like you know your 2's inside - out
It would be great if you could look over the car when it's done.

Nookmumracing said you can hook up parts too, I can only get
honda part's cheap, toyota is a hole diff. story.

Blue Devil
09-17-2002, 11:39 AM
I'm selling my MR2 Turbo with JDM engine if anyone is interested.

nookmumracing
09-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Did you ever have a Tom's scoop on your ride? Saw one a while back with the same rims black but with a scoop.

Peace