PDA

View Full Version : Best place for decent but fairly priced leather shoes...

ekguy
03-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Well, with the nature of my job I need to wear leather dress shoes but I also go through a pair a month/couple months.

Starting to hate spending 90$ and up for decent shoes to ruin em.

Where could someone pick up shoes at let's say 40$ a pair that would still look decent and be comfortable...

This is really starting to bug me as I destroy my shoes really quickly.

rob the knob
03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
you may be better off buying a more expensive pair of shoes. maybe $250. last longer and then you can resole.
use shoe trees too and have two pairs of shoe to switch every other day.

krazykhoja
03-10-2012, 04:31 PM
You could try places like Spring/Transit/Aldo, they tend to have decent prices/sales when they have extra 30-50% off clearance shoes.

Also, if you are working in an indoor environment, I would suggest changing into the shoes at work. Saves the wear/tear from the elements and should last longer.

93VR6
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
are you indoors for your job? bring the leather shoes in a backpack and wear your runners\sneakers for getting to and from work?

flipstah
03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Just like cars, have a beater pair for clubbing, slushy days, etc.

I got mine at Rockport. Very comfy with the Adidas sole and it's still good to me.

My 'nice' shoes are Allen Edmonds. So comfy but >$90.

ekguy
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I leave my shoes at work and walk into works in kicks.

But because I'm always moving shit around and setting up new offices and stuff they get roughed up pretty quick...

turbotrip
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
ive heard walmart has "decent" dress shoes for ~$40, you might want to check those out

ekguy
03-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I doubt walmart brand would be comfortable...I'll check out the other stores mentioned. Hopefully i can spend a bit less on shoes from now on.

turbotrip
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
rockports are the most comfortable, and then surprisingly walmart would be second most comfortable (but dont look so hot). spring/transit/aldo are by far the most uncomfortable dress shoes

EG6boi
03-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Are Clarks any good? Have anyone tried that brand?

Tik-Tok
03-12-2012, 01:02 AM
+1 for Rockport, however if you're looking for beaters as you say, pick up some Walmart, or ShoeWarehouse ones, and buy a really good insole.

No matter what the brand, it's all about the insole.

cancer man
03-12-2012, 05:05 AM
I used to go to a place called the towne and country,not sure if they are still around,

vtec4life
03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Rockport's all the way. Adidas sole. Money well spent if your wearing them 8 hours a day

Eleanor
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I've had some Rockports & some "higher" end Dockers that have lasted years.

The biggest thing is taking care of the leather, not letting it dry out.

littledan
03-15-2012, 04:57 PM
me time = prada / hugo

work time = browns / aldo / steel toes

Skyline_Addict
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by EG6boi
Are Clarks any good? Have anyone tried that brand?

Clarks are awesome. They've been around for a long time and have always been one of the better brands for comfort around the 100-200 price range.

CanmoreOrLess
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Your employer ought to be kicking in some cash for footwear, the place I used to work at had a footwear budget good for one pair a year. Marks's WorkWarehouse might have what you are seeking, they do carry dress type shoes with a better sole, toe, etc in all sorts of combinations. There is no way you can go through a pair of shoes in a month unless they are absolute garbage to begin with. You need to be spending north of $120 for shoes worthy of wearing in comfort, looks and safety. Often Marks has a discount in place to make the deal far better, check at the store or website.

You get what you pay for, applies ten fold to shoes, beds and beer.

Kritafo
03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
My dad swore by Clarks, Florsheim, Sperry's and Rockports. I think they carry most of those right at The Bay...

Nothing worse than crappy looking shoes. Keep your dress shoes at work and wear something else back and forth even if it's for driving. Don't wait until they look like crap to replace them. If you have a few pair you can rotate around you will make them last a little longer.

The Bay always has good sales, keep your eyes open. Make sure more than anything you get your foot sized checked. Every company makes shoes a little different you may be a different size in different brands. You really shouldn't be going through so many pair. Maybe even run over to London Drugs and get some insoles they have that computer system to tell you how you are distributing your weight, or proper orthotics from the Podiatrist. If you haven't worn the shoe out anywhere by the sole see if you can get them resoled. Put them back into rotation.

ekguy
03-26-2012, 09:09 PM
They do pay for my steel toes but honestly i a barely ever needing them. During business hours I try to look as proper as I can even if my job does consist mostly of labor.

boarderfatty
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I doubt walmart brand would be comfortable...I'll check out the other stores mentioned. Hopefully i can spend a bit less on shoes from now on.

Last time I checked into it, the manufacturer that had the contract to make aldo shoes also had the contract to do one of the dress shoe lines at wal mart. Don't know how different they will be.

msommers
03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Go to The Bay and try on some shoes and then order them online.

BebeGrl21
04-05-2012, 03:02 PM
I think if you invest a bit more money on a good pair of leather shoes it will last you longer and you wont need to replace it as much.
More bang for your buck.