PDA

View Full Version : Repair my audio in jack?

dj_patm
03-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I think I need to solder my audio jack in my laptop but I really don't trust myself to do it and I'm not even sure that I have the right diagnoses. Is there any where that I can get it fixed? How much am I looking at?

Even though my speaker cable is perfectly in the jack, the connection cuts out occasionally so I'm assuming it needs to soldered right?

Tik-Tok
03-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Have you tried other speakers, or headphones in the same jack?

dj_patm
03-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Yup

Seth1968
03-11-2012, 09:45 AM
An option might be a pcmcia audio adapter. I haven't looked into it, but I don't suspect they're cheap.

Stine
03-11-2012, 05:13 PM
USB audio adapter will also work for you, down side is that they stick out quite a bit, but much cheaper then the PCMCIA adapter.

firebane
03-11-2012, 06:06 PM
PCMCIA hasn't been in laptops for a very long time. Express slot is not what has taken over.

How old is the laptop and what is it worth to you? Doing a job like this won't be cheap.

megavolt
03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
What kind of laptop is it? There are places around that will do this work but it'll cost a lot. Google laptop repair calgary.

Or you can go the electronic hobbyist route (like me) who would likely get it fixed but with no warranty or guarantee and who may break it further (or completely) trying to fix it.

Or there's the external peripheral route as everyone seems to be suggesting.

v2kai
03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
I think I need to solder my audio jack in my laptop but I really don't trust myself to do it and I'm not even sure that I have the right diagnoses. Is there any where that I can get it fixed? How much am I looking at?

Even though my speaker cable is perfectly in the jack, the connection cuts out occasionally so I'm assuming it needs to soldered right?

The biggest aspect of this repair is likely the actually teardown. Some laptops require a fair bit of work to disassemble whereas others take a few minutes to rip the under side panels off and you have full access to the mobo. As others have said this could be an expensive repair depending on your model more for the work involved with disassembly.

The actual resoldering of the audio jack to the mobo connections takes literally 30 seconds; assuming that is the root issue.

post up the model # of the laptop. Also as others have stated, if it is an old laptop then the cost to fix may not be worth all the hassle. Any further details on the nature of the audio cutting out would also help; although you are probably right in your assumption that the jack needs to be resoldered.