PDA

View Full Version : LF advice regarding work making me do bank deposits

Projek01
03-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I work a part time job at a cell phone store owned and run by Bell and my store manager claims that doing the bank deposit is part of my duties as a sales consultant. I am 99% certain that my paperwork when I got hired didn’t mention anything about driving to the bank. I quickly spoke to the regional manager and he also said that it is part of my duties. I don’t think it is fair that I am missing out on potential sales, using my gas and putting myself/car in danger just to get the bank deposit done. To add to this, people that bus to work are exempt from this duty for obvious reasons. Do you guys have any suggestions for me besides quitting my job? Just need it for 1 more year while I finish school. Thanks for any input!

know1edge
03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
what the fuck? :nut:

are you doing it in the middle of your shift or after work?

Projek01
03-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Usually during the middle of my shift. Sometimes, the manager acts like he is doing us a favor by clocking us out ~15min after my shift if I take it at the end. The more I think about it, the more I hate my lazy manager. I just want to fight this with more power and reasoning vs just arguing and making the management hate me. I brought up the possibility that I could get into an accident especially if the roads are bad and asked what they would do if my insurance went up. Manager changes the topic....

To add, its 3.7km (10min one way with no traffic). Which isnt too bad but once again, its still unfair IMO.

Afrodeziak
03-12-2012, 12:52 AM
In any real job, you'd be paid mileage for use of your personal vehicle. Some companies even go so far as to rent vehicles for employee use so that they don't have to deal with insurance/payment of the use or loss of an employee's vehicle. Obviously not much sense for a 20 min excursion.

I believe 50cents / km is pretty standard.

You're also taking the risk of being robbed and missing out on sales. I think it's the managers job to be doing these deposits.
I'd probably just find a better job. Seems ridiculous that they aren't making it worth your while for use of your vehicle.

Tik-Tok
03-12-2012, 01:12 AM
FYI, if you're in an auto accident while doing this, your claim could be denied by your insurance company. If you're using your vehicle for work, they are required to know about it (which usually results in higher premiums)

Tell them no, because of that, but you'll gladly use the managers car to do the run.

Or just tell them your cars broken, and you're getting dropped off/picked up.

Resurrected RA
03-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
FYI, if you're in an auto accident while doing this, your claim could be denied by your insurance company. If you're using your vehicle for work, they are required to know about it (which usually results in higher premiums)

This, if you don't have the coverage to use your vehicle for work purposes they could deny your claim. Print off a T2200 fill it out and get them to sign it. You can write off certain expenses related to your use of your car.

redblack
03-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Park farther away and tell them that you take the bus now. Problem solved
:dunno:

ExtraSlow
03-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I believe 50cents / km is pretty standard.
Mileage rates are set by CRA, and these days it's $0.53/km.

OP, if you don't like doing it. I'd say your car broke and you now take the bus.

Stealth22
03-12-2012, 07:07 AM
They should be reimbursing you for mileage at the bare minimum, if not gas too. Or yeah, just park further away and claim you take the bus.

Ven
03-12-2012, 07:18 AM
I'd be calling my insurance company and get their take on what's going on. I'm guessing they'll say you're vehicle is not insured for work use and if you pile it up you'd be on your own. Imagine if you hurt somebody? Will this company stand behind you legally and financially should something happen? Nope, some HR person from head office you've never seen before will through you under the bus. "Bell does not condone any employees using their own vehicles to carry out day to Day duties as per our company policy. The work Mr. XXXX was performing was not listed in his job description and goes against all our company wide employee guidelines. We feel for the families that were affected by this tragedy" or something similar.

Get your information together and present your case. But be prepared for them to create a reason to fire you or cut your hours back until you quit. Sounds like you're dealing with a couple real winners for management there.

ExtraSlow
03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22
They should be reimbursing you for mileage at the bare minimum, if not gas too. Or yeah, just park further away and claim you take the bus.
the mileage is supposed to cover gas, insurance, maintenece etc. It's an all-in amount.

GQBalla
03-12-2012, 07:52 AM
why lie?

just straight up refuse to do it.

It wasn't in your job description.

Tell them you want it in writting that it is in your daily duties

If they come up with that tell them you need proper insurance and mile reimbusement

Seth1968
03-12-2012, 08:04 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/350607/are-unions-usefull/

Hmmm

speedog
03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
OP probably doesn't have a very detailed job description if there's one written up at all. Simplest thing is to explain to bosses that your insurance company told you that your coverage doesn't allow for you to be using your vehicle for business purposes and that you will lose your coverage if found to be in conflict of your policy. Now what really sucks here is that the OP really have no protection at all here - in refusing to do the off-site deposits, the OP puts their own employment future in peril, but then I suspect the deposits are strictly the responsibility of the management and not the front end employees.

Interestingly enough, my 20 year old son was in this exact same situation and came home and told us about it - our advice was exactly as detailed above (the insurance bit). He went back to his manager and had a discussion regarding personal/business use of his personal vehicle and that was the end of him doing any deposits and yupp, he's still employed with just as many part time hours as before.

Another thing to think of - carrying these cash deposits around puts you at considerable more personal risk, maybe ask your employer what compensation would be afforded to you if you were to end up in the hospital unable to work because of a mugging. I suspect you would be SOL.

78si
03-12-2012, 11:07 AM
edit :D

lasimmon
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Mileage rates are set by CRA, and these days it's $0.53/km.

OP, if you don't like doing it. I'd say your car broke and you now take the bus.

My company is $1.15/km.. Is that just the minimum?

Hallowed_point
03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
The sad thing is how common this is these days with shady companies getting lowly paid employees to do "extras" for them. We all know damn well that if anything went south with this (robbery, accident) the company would have some hasty coverup story about how the employee wasn't following company policy or some other bs :nut: :facepalm:

ercchry
03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

My company is $1.15/km.. Is that just the minimum?

no, thats what the company can claim on their taxes

ExtraSlow
03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
For the mileage thing, it depends a lot on the qualifications for your work, but for me, in a job where I rarely need to travel, we've always used the CRA posted rates.

If you primarily work in field locations, or a vehicle is required for your emplyment, I think it works differently

FraserB
03-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Over and above the robbery, use of personal vehicle insurance nightmare; if any money is missing, guess who they will go to.

Don't let them force you into this OP, if they don't listen to you when you mention the insurance thing, go to the labor board and see what they say.

Projek01
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I definately think the insurance would be a good argument. My coworker also stumbled upon this thread and we will be working on this together.

CanmoreOrLess
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
The insurance aspect will frighten away your employer, he will not force you to do the drops as there are major legal catches. I had to do these "bank runs" at a place I used to work at, hated it even though I was paid for the expenses, etc. Standing in line at the bank for ten minutes or more never made my day, nearly thirty minutes round trip and all the risks involved. When I got back to work, no one had moved from their reclined position, so really I was the only one working for that half hour.

It did not help that the guy I was working with was on a leased vehicle banging up against his maximum mileage allowed and three months remaining. At least this is what he said, my manager said he did not have to do the runs, so it fell to me. I think my coworker was a cagey bastard and he used the lease excuse to get out of the bank run....

So use the insurance and/or lease excuse.

SmAcKpOo
03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Can you go after an employer who didn't pay you 0.53$ per kilometer?

Lets say for instance that they paid 0.33$ a kilometer, are they legally required to pay you the 0.53$ set out by the CRA?

Chandler_Racing
03-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
Can you go after an employer who didn't pay you 0.53$ per kilometer?

Lets say for instance that they paid 0.33$ a kilometer, are they legally required to pay you the 0.53$ set out by the CRA?

no

ercchry
03-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

no

:werd:

its not a number for the employee to bill the company. its what they can claim up to as a deduction. so if they pay you $1.2 they eat the remainder during tax time. if they pay you $0.33 then they gain from you traveling