PDA

View Full Version : Any kiteboarders?

creeper
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Novice wakeboarder here looking to try out kiteboarding. I'd like to meet up with a few people and try it out. Might be a bit of a long shot, Calgary area isn't exactly water sport paradise.

asp integra
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
im interested in this as well

lasimmon
03-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Picked it up last summer. Picked up a kite and bar combo on Kijiji. Been borrowing my buddies harness and board so far haha.

I know there is a pretty good contingent up in the red deer area. Not sure on the Calgary area. Down south are some pretty sick lakes to ride.

As for snow kiting there are always people up at spray lakes behind Canmore the wind is good.

Edit: the problem with meeting people and using their stuff is kites are expensive and can be wrecked easily. I only let friends who have kited before use mine haha.

CMW403
03-13-2012, 07:52 AM
This is a awesome sport, I picked it up in Belize about a year ago on a sand bar like 3 miles long and 2 miles wide with about 4 feet of water.

I can't imagine learning anywhere else because for the first few hours you just have to learn to control the kite and that would be impossible in deep water and straight up suicide on land. You would walk away needing facial reconstruction. One wrong move when that kite is In the air and you're going with it.

Really fun sport once you get the kiting part mastered. I didn't even know a lot of people were into it here though.

lasimmon
03-13-2012, 09:34 AM
CMW, we're you using old style kites? New ones are easily de-powered and can easily be used on land with no inherent danger. Mind you if your using a 12m kite on a 60 km/h wind day your just asking for trouble lol.

Supa Dexta
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
If you are in deep water and your kite comes down, how do you get it back in the air?

Never seen any of it around home in NS,, wind surfing, but not kite boarding.

lasimmon
03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
If you are in deep water and your kite comes down, how do you get it back in the air?

Never seen any of it around home in NS,, wind surfing, but not kite boarding.

There are a couple methods to get back up. Pulling on certain strings etc. just takes practice.