PDA

View Full Version : RE-vinned Car

blackpeople
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey guys i just had a quick question. Has anyone ever encountered a car that had been revinned by CPS?If so for what reason would this be done?

ercchry
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
i believe if you replace the dash you are suppose to do this?

corsvette
03-12-2012, 11:19 AM
The Insurance Bureau of Canada will re-vin certain theft recovered vehicles. Also if the original vin plate is missing or tampered with you can get a new Alberta assigned vin.

corsvette
03-12-2012, 11:22 AM
This happened to my Dads truck years ago, it was stolen and the thief took the vin sticker off the door jam, because of that the truck got an alberta assigned vin. It still had the factory dash vin plate.

dannie
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Generally, we rarely seen VIN re-assignment on vehicles. It is usually done with trailers 99% of the time. In order for the re-assignment to happen, it's got to be a pretty significant event. There is only 5 reasons why it would be re-assigned (might be 6, but I'd have to dig to be sure. Send me a facebook message if you want me to find it)

1) The vehicle has lost it's VIN (ie: duplicated vin or stolen)
2) Doesn't have a legible VIN
3) Is a homemade trailer
4) Is a u-built trailer/vehicle (ie: a kit car)
5) Is an alagamated vehicle

Masked Bandit
03-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I've seen it a couple of times in my career and it was done on vehicles that had been stolen, written off (not found) and then recovered later.

Graham_A_M
03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
^ How about really old vehicles that have had the vin worn off or is now completely illegible? Just curious as to what the whole process is to have a new VIN created, and thus have a vehicle registered. :dunno:

dannie
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
If it is illegible, you have to go thru the vin assignment program through the insurance council..

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime/Prevention_Investigation/Alberta_ReVINing.asp

Once it's been complete, you take all your documentation to the registry and they will register the vehicle.